Sertorio wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:50 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:58 pm
cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:44 am

To think that all that it took to turn America's Covid fortunes around was to rid itself of a callous president.
The author ignored the fact that the vaccines were developed at “warp speed” under Trump.
:lol: (Oh yeah Cass: I'll bet that Trump personally worked day and night in that laboratory to develop the first released vacine too. Specious argument!)

In Britain they had developed the Oxford - Astra Zenica vacine and released it or use at about the same time as the first American vacine (Pfizer?) was put to use. There was a race on between various research groups and pharmacutical labs worldwide to develop a remedy for Covid and coincidentally these two arrived at the winning post at around the same time. Nothing to do with Trump who merely tried to claim credit for what others had acheived - and his devoted following actually believed him.

You should have more sense than to be one of those willing dupes.
Actually the Russian Sputnik V vaccine was first, but because it is Russian and not made by a privately owned lab, it hasn't yet been accepted by the US and the EU...
Yet both accepted a CCP made virus as legitimate
Prove it, if you can...
The evidence:

COVID-19 'Exactly What You'd Expect If You'd Gone Through Gain-Of-Function'
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Re: how the Covid tide has turned

Post by cassowary » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:55 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:42 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:50 am
Actually the Russian Sputnik V vaccine was first, but because it is Russian and not made by a privately owned lab, it hasn't yet been accepted by the US and the EU...
Not approved by the World Health Organisation - not because it is Russian.
The WHO seems to be about to approve it, once some improvements have been made at one of the production locations.
The WHO has not approved it yet but if it does then I would not be reluctant to use it myself.

Australia is currently in a position not unlike that of South Korea. Our governments (plural - like Canada and the USA we are a federation - which can and does complicate matters) had previously done an excellent job in curbing the spread of the virus and as in our east Asian neighbours the general populace has been laudable compliant in obeying government directives: but like those of our neighbours our government has fumbled the next phase of securing supplies of serum and distributing it (the "rollout").
Our government has. About 73% of the population has had at least one dose and 47% of the population are fully vaccinated.
FD5274DC-E9D6-41A8-A22B-C522B8847687.png
FD5274DC-E9D6-41A8-A22B-C522B8847687.png (253.05 KiB) Viewed 299 times
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Our government has. About 73% of the population has had at least one dose and 47% of the population are fully vaccinated.

Good fortune attend Singapore Cass. What kind of vacine have they been using up there?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm
cassowary wrote:

Good fortune attend Singapore Cass. What kind of vacine have they been using up there?
Thanks Neverfail. We are using Pfizer and Moderna. These are offered free in the national program. But Sinovac is available in private clinics for those that distrust the new mRNA techonology. Sinovac is not counted in our national tally of the number of people vaccinated because our government doubts its effectiveness.

Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia have been using Sinovac but appear to be losing confidence in Sinovac.

Our problem is that our elderly are reluctant to get vaccinated and they are the ones that need it most. I think they lack education. Only 70% of those above 70 are vaccinated. This is low compared to more than 90% in the UK. That is likely the reason why Boris Johnson is willing to risk reopening the UK economy despite infections going through the roof.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:22 pm

cassowary wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Thanks Neverfail. We are using Pfizer and Moderna. These are offered free in the national program. But Sinovac is available in private clinics for those that distrust the new mRNA techonology. Sinovac is not counted in our national tally of the number of people vaccinated because our government doubts its effectiveness.

Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia have been using Sinovac but appear to be losing confidence in Sinovac.

Our problem is that our elderly are reluctant to get vaccinated and they are the ones that need it most. I think they lack education. Only 70% of those above 70 are vaccinated. This is low compared to more than 90% in the UK. That is likely the reason why Boris Johnson is willing to risk reopening the UK economy despite infections going through the roof.
Your government made a good pair of choices in Pfizer and Moderna. Our silly government ordered mainly Astra Zenica along with lesser amounts of Pfizer. The former is readily available but because of its reputation for creating a blood clotting condition which has caused deaths in a tiny minority of recripients a lot of people do not trust it. This apparent bungle on ordering supplies has become a hot political topic in this country to our government's embarrasment: our party in Opposition has been "hammering" the government in parliament over it. The latter vacine has been reserved for the likes of front line health workers and others considered especially vulnerable.

(As for Sinovac; our government I am sure never even considered ordering the stuff from China :D )

I could have had a shot of Astra Zenica from our local medical centre as early as last March had I wanted it (like in Singapore free of cost) but I held off. Our state government had done an excellent job in curbing the spread of the earlier Alpha variant of Covid that I like many others felt reasonably safe remaining unvacinated. But now we are in the throes of an upsurge of the much more virilent Delta strain (brought to Sydney by a visiting American aircraft crew) and that is a different matter.

Through our contacts we discovered that there was a clinic operating in an obscure location about 10 minutes drive from our home that serves only Pfizer. So yesterday I went there and received my first of two vacanation shots. I am booked for my second booster shot next month. "Better to be safe than sorry!"

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:12 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:22 pm
cassowary wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Your government made a good pair of choices in Pfizer and Moderna. Our silly government ordered mainly Astra Zenica along with lesser amounts of Pfizer. The former is readily available but because of its reputation for creating a blood clotting condition which has caused deaths in a tiny minority of recripients a lot of people do not trust it. This apparent bungle on ordering supplies has become a hot political topic in this country to our government's embarrasment: our party in Opposition has been "hammering" the government in parliament over it. The latter vacine has been reserved for the likes of front line health workers and others considered especially vulnerable.

(As for Sinovac; our government I am sure never even considered ordering the stuff from China :D )

I could have had a shot of Astra Zenica from our local medical centre as early as last March had I wanted it (like in Singapore free of cost) but I held off. Our state government had done an excellent job in curbing the spread of the earlier Alpha variant of Covid that I like many others felt reasonably safe remaining unvacinated. But now we are in the throes of an upsurge of the much more virilent Delta strain (brought to Sydney by a visiting American aircraft crew) and that is a different matter.

Through our contacts we discovered that there was a clinic operating in an obscure location about 10 minutes drive from our home that serves only Pfizer. So yesterday I went there and received my first of two vacanation shots. I am booked for my second booster shot next month. "Better to be safe than sorry!"
Our government made pre-orders before the two mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) were developed. Under the Trump's warp speed, risk was shared between the pharmaceuticals and interested buyers. The buyers bought on the understanding that if the research failed to produce vaccines, the buyers can expect nothing.

Besides, Pfizer and Moderna, we had similar contracts with others - our local Duke-NUS, Bharta and Sinovac. Duke-NUS has failed to produce anything so far, but Bharta has successfully completed Phase III trial. Then there is Sinovac.

All companies were required to complete Phase III before delivering the vaccine. But Sinovac skipped phase III and they delivered anyway! They kept demanding we use it, insisting that it is safe and effective. Fortunately, we have honest and brave leaders, who cannot be bought or bullied.
Singapore will make decisions regarding the approval of Covid-19 vaccines on the basis of science and healthcare needs, and will not be pressured when it comes to decisions on such matters, Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan told Parliament yesterday.

"We cannot be bought, we cannot be bullied, we cannot be intimidated into either approving or disapproving any vaccine," he said. "There will be pressure on us, there will be push and pulls, but we must conduct this just like another example of foreign policy, in a principled manner."
Then the Chinese government flooded our social media with anonymous messages about the danger of using mRNA vaccines and touting Sinovac. They also appealed to ethnic pride and accused the west of spreading misinformation about Chinese vaccines.

Then the Chinese got WHO to approve Sinovac. This created pressure on our government to approve Sinovac from opposition leaders who accused the ruling party of damaging relations with China. So our government donated the stock of delivered Sinovac vaccines to private clinics. They cast doubts about the effectiveness of Sinovac and said that those vaccinated by Sinovac will not be counted as vaccinated in our statistics.

This enraged China who again flooded our social media with anti-PAP propaganda. Chinese TV stations said that Singapore was insulting Chinese vaccines. Opposition leader Lim Tean said that since WHO has approved Sinovac, we should also do the same. He also accused our government for damaging relations with China.

The Chinese are accustomed to people who can be bribed or bullied. But it backfired with us. I like to think our principled stand is causing our neighbors to rethink using Sinovac. I read they are quietly phasing out Sinovac and buying other brands. Serves the CCP right.

Is China's Vaccine success waning in Asia?

Malaysia to phase out Sinovac

By the way, China has said that if you want to visit China you need to be vaccinated with Chinese vaccines. Those with other vaccines need "strong reasons" to enter. .

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 am

neverfail wrote:

I have not yet been vaccinated and will not be as long as Europe limits the choice to the present four vaccines - Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and J&J. They seem to be good at protecting you from the virus but they all have potential side effects that can kill you. They say the probability of that happening is very small, but it isn't zero. And probabilities have no meaning as far as individuals are concerned. No matter how small they are, you still can end up dead. Since I only leave my house in the country once a week to do shopping, I do not feel that I am at great risk of catching the virus, and even less of dying of it. So I will wait until the political games against Russia are over and the Sputnik V vaccine is recognized in Europe, as it has no known dangerous side effects. If suddenly I stop posting here, you will know why... :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:04 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Our government made pre-orders before the two mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) were developed. Under the Trump's warp speed, risk was shared between the pharmaceuticals and interested buyers. The buyers bought on the understanding that if the research failed to produce vaccines, the buyers can expect nothing.

Besides, Pfizer and Moderna, we had similar contracts with others - our local Duke-NUS, Bharta and Sinovac. Duke-NUS has failed to produce anything so far, but Bharta has successfully completed Phase III trial. Then there is Sinovac.

All companies were required to complete Phase III before delivering the vaccine. But Sinovac skipped phase III and they delivered anyway! They kept demanding we use it, insisting that it is safe and effective. Fortunately, we have honest and brave leaders, who cannot be bought or bullied.
Singapore will make decisions regarding the approval of Covid-19 vaccines on the basis of science and healthcare needs, and will not be pressured when it comes to decisions on such matters, Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan told Parliament yesterday.

"We cannot be bought, we cannot be bullied, we cannot be intimidated into either approving or disapproving any vaccine," he said. "There will be pressure on us, there will be push and pulls, but we must conduct this just like another example of foreign policy, in a principled manner."
Then the Chinese government flooded our social media with anonymous messages about the danger of using mRNA vaccines and touting Sinovac. They also appealed to ethnic pride and accused the west of spreading misinformation about Chinese vaccines.

Then the Chinese got WHO to approve Sinovac. This created pressure on our government to approve Sinovac from opposition leaders who accused the ruling party of damaging relations with China. So our government donated the stock of delivered Sinovac vaccines to private clinics. They cast doubts about the effectiveness of Sinovac and said that those vaccinated by Sinovac will not be counted as vaccinated in our statistics.

This enraged China who again flooded our social media with anti-PAP propaganda. Chinese TV stations said that Singapore was insulting Chinese vaccines. Opposition leader Lim Tean said that since WHO has approved Sinovac, we should also do the same. He also accused our government for damaging relations with China.

The Chinese are accustomed to people who can be bribed or bullied. But it backfired with us. I like to think our principled stand is causing our neighbors to rethink using Sinovac. I read they are quietly phasing out Sinovac and buying other brands. Serves the CCP right.

By the way, China has said that if you want to visit China you need to be vaccinated with Chinese vaccines. Those with other vaccines need "strong reasons" to enter. .
Thanks Cass.

Your post has revealed two things: That it is not only my country that has had difficulty in securing supplies of an acceptable vacine and problems in dealing with the PRC.

In the case of the latter: there seems to be no end to how far they will go to promote their propaganda.

Since Astra Zenica is being manufactured here in Australia our government has been able to lend a helping hand to our Pacific Islands neighbours like Fiji and the Solomon Islands by donating consignments of this vacine to them to combat their own Covid spread. We recently got a good verbal dressing down from the PRC government over that. Beijing is annoyed that our deliveries of Astra Zenica have preempted their efforts to deliver Sinovac to the same countries. Nothing apparent to do with concern over the wellbeing of Pacific Islanders - they don't like missing out on the propaganda benefit.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 am
neverfail wrote:

I have not yet been vaccinated and will not be as long as Europe limits the choice to the present four vaccines - Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and J&J. They seem to be good at protecting you from the virus but they all have potential side effects that can kill you. They say the probability of that happening is very small, but it isn't zero. And probabilities have no meaning as far as individuals are concerned. No matter how small they are, you still can end up dead. Since I only leave my house in the country once a week to do shopping, I do not feel that I am at great risk of catching the virus, and even less of dying of it. So I will wait until the political games against Russia are over and the Sputnik V vaccine is recognized in Europe, as it has no known dangerous side effects. If suddenly I stop posting here, you will know why... :D
Haha. You are a diehard communist. Refusing to protect your health because you want Sputnik as an anti western statement. Wow. I admire your strength and willingness to die for your cause. But you are also a reminder of how dangerous the left is. No wonder our LKY locked up people like you.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:19 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:04 am
cassowary wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Thanks Cass.

Your post has revealed two things: That it is not only my country that has had difficulty in securing supplies of an acceptable vacine and problems in dealing with the PRC.

In the case of the latter: there seems to be no end to how far they will go to promote their propaganda.

Since Astra Zenica is being manufactured here in Australia our government has been able to lend a helping hand to our Pacific Islands neighbours like Fiji and the Solomon Islands by donating consignments of this vacine to them to combat their own Covid spread. We recently got a good verbal dressing down from the PRC government over that. Beijing is annoyed that our deliveries of Astra Zenica have preempted their efforts to deliver Sinovac to the same countries. Nothing apparent to do with concern over the wellbeing of Pacific Islanders - they don't like missing out on the propaganda benefit.
Yeah, the CCP is pure evil. They even tried to block shipments of Pfizer into Taiwan. Naturally, Sertorio supports the CCP.