Pope in pain

Discussion of current events
Jim the Moron

Pope in pain

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm

"Canada indigenous leaders dismiss Pope remarks"
https://reuters.com/world/americas/were ... 021-06-06/

They ". . . forcibly separated about 150,000 indigenous children from their homes, with many subjected to abuse, rape and malnutrition. Most were run by the Catholic Church."

Apollonius

Re: Pope in pain

Post by Apollonius » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Just another money grab by our indigenous 'leaders'.

I think they owe the rest of Canada an apology. They should also be going to the U.N. and apologize there for all the lies they've been spreading.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:05 pm

I agree with both of you.

Although it’s a bit surprising the Pope is so pained, after all, secret graveyards of unwanted children are a fine old RCC tradition!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm

The Pope may even be sincere in his sentiments but what sinfully criminal members of the Catholic clergy did in Canada long before he became Pope is beyond his powers to undo.

(From the remoteness of the Vatican the Popes of the day would not have been kept informed about what was happening in remote orphanages in Canada and elsewhere either. In something as large and globally spread as the Catholic Church it would be impossible for even the Pope's advisers to keep tabs on everything that is happening throughout the Church. So abuses and misuses of clerical authority occur in secret, lost in the minutie of detail.

Were it not for similar abuses happening to aboriginal children removed from their parents into institutionalised care here in Australia, I would be astonished at the negligence of the civil authorities of the time for their failure in monitoring what how the kids were being treated by their carers; It would with hindsight have seemed in both Canada and Australia: out of sight and out of mind.

(Or; do what you think fit and spare us the gory details.)

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:06 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm
The Pope may even be sincere in his sentiments but what sinfully criminal members of the Catholic clergy did in Canada long before he became Pope is beyond his powers to undo.

(From the remoteness of the Vatican the Popes of the day would not have been kept informed about what was happening in remote orphanages in Canada and elsewhere either. In something as large and globally spread as the Catholic Church it would be impossible for even the Pope's advisers to keep tabs on everything that is happening throughout the Church. So abuses and misuses of clerical authority occur in secret, lost in the minutie of detail.

Were it not for similar abuses happening to aboriginal children removed from their parents into institutionalised care here in Australia, I would be astonished at the negligence of the civil authorities of the time for their failure in monitoring what how the kids were being treated by their carers; It would with hindsight have seemed in both Canada and Australia: out of sight and out of mind.

Well, they could pay the settlement.

Or apologize.

Or give up any possibly relevant records.

They haven’t done any of that.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:59 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Well, they could pay the settlement.

Or apologize.

Or give up any possibly relevant records.

They haven’t done any of that.
From lack of any mitigating evidence to the contrary I am inclined to agree..

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:35 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm

out of sight and out of mind
Indeed

History is full of such examples, not just with indigenous children. Not just WRT the Catholic Church

Most People involved probably convinced themselves they were doing a good thing out of the pain of their concern.

paininthepope.jpg
paininthepope.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 116 times
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:43 am

The interesting thing is seeing how, for instance, Canada and Australia seem so unconcerned with their killings of native children or war crimes in Afghanistan, but, on the other hand, are so concerned with the fate of obscure politicians in Russia or Belarus to the point of imposing very harsh sanctions on those countries. To be fair Canada and Australia should now be the targets of severe sanctions by the world community... 8-)