North Korea abandons South revolution plan.

Discussion of current events
neverfail

North Korea abandons South revolution plan.

Post by neverfail » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:25 am

Seoul would be wise to keep its spies working and guard up until Kim truly dismantles his vast subversion-infiltration-invasion apparatus

https://asiatimes.com/2021/06/north-kor ... an-report/
I want to co0ng5ratulate the North Korean Workers' (i.e. Communist) party for finally achnowledging that formenting revolution in South Korea is an unrealistic goal.

Now, what is the next move?

Sertorio

Re: North Korea abandons South revolution plan.

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:56 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:25 am
Seoul would be wise to keep its spies working and guard up until Kim truly dismantles his vast subversion-infiltration-invasion apparatus

I want to co0ng5ratulate the North Korean Workers' (i.e. Communist) party for finally achnowledging that formenting revolution in South Korea is an unrealistic goal.

As China has proven it is possible to have a free market economy (with some exceptions) and an authoritarian government. And it works pretty good as a plural democracy is not a priority for most people. North Korea could follow the same path and, once material needs were mostly satisfied, it could consider a confederal solution for Korea, with two different political systems but a common economy. Would North Koreans still flee to the South? Not necessarily. What we have seen in China is that although people have the freedom to travel abroad they all come back to China as foreign countries do not offer them more than what they have at home.

neverfail

Re: North Korea abandons South revolution plan.

Post by neverfail » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:56 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:25 am

As China has proven it is possible to have a free market economy (with some exceptions) and an authoritarian government. And it works pretty good as a plural democracy is not a priority for most people. North Korea could follow the same path and, once material needs were mostly satisfied, it could consider a confederal solution for Korea, with two different political systems but a common economy. Would North Koreans still flee to the South? Not necessarily. What we have seen in China is that although people have the freedom to travel abroad they all come back to China as foreign countries do not offer them more than what they have at home.
Your suggestion seems feasable Sertorio. It raises the question, however, that since the regime in North Korea has had the "shining" example of the PRC for the past half century in front of their noses why have they not adopted it by now?

(Might I point out that that South Korea was under authoritarian rule until the latter 1980's and that the people down there only forced the change to democratic government via a people's power style mass protest movement. Since they speak the same language on both sides of the DMZ; were people from the north permitted to visit the South en masse why should they not likewise pick up the democratic contagion from their southern relatives?)