18 million infected in India. People dying at the gates of hospital

Discussion of current events
Doc

18 million infected in India. People dying at the gates of hospital

Post by Doc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Estimates of 2 million dead

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: 18 million infected in India. People dying at the gates of hospital

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Don't worry about it Doc.. According to Hindu belief they will be all reincarnated into another life anyhow.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:22 pm
Don't worry about it Doc.. According to Hindu belief they will be all reincarnated into another life anyhow.
According to their beliefs, Jews murdered by the Nazis went to heaven.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:41 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:27 pm
neverfail wrote:
Really? I did not think that Hindu's believed in an afterlife in heaven but of perpetual reincarnations into higher or lower states of being depending on the type of accumulated karma (merit? grace?) on the soul over the present and past successive lifespans.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:12 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:41 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Really? I did not think that Hindu's believed in an afterlife in heaven but of perpetual reincarnations into higher or lower states of being depending on the type of accumulated karma (merit? grace?) on the soul over the present and past successive lifespans.
You say Jonathan Livingston Seagall. I say heaven.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 pm

They lack social discipline. We have workers' quarters that house mostly Indians. We get outbreaks in those dormitories. Granted that they have high density but so do our army camps. No clusters form in our camps. So I conclude that it is cultural. They are lacking in discipline. Maybe too invidualistic. Won't follow the rules of social distancing.

Then there is this:

They are supposed to stand on the circles to ensure social distancing. But they don't understand. So they put their shoes on the spots to reserve their places in the queue but sit close together.
The Imp :D

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 pm

Social Distancing - an Indian nightmare
The term “social distancing” seems to have become the battle-cry of the global fight against the COVID-19 virus. But in India, currently in the midst of the biggest lockdown in history with 1.3 billion people ordered to stay home, isolation seems like a cruel joke.

Believe me, it’s tough. Indians are by nature tactile creatures -- touchy, feely, curious. We’re used to having people breathing down our backs all the time -- in queues, waiting to get off buses, disembarking from airplanes.

It’s normal for people to stand next to me in mall elevators checking out my shopping bags. My toes are stubbed mercilessly in cinemas by popcorn-laden customers passing brusquely through the narrow aisles. And don’t get me started on how many times people sitting next to me on trains, buses and metros have peeped at my text messages. One young woman even had the temerity to suggest how I should frame a response.

Getting out of an elevator in India requires the skill of an Olympic athlete. No sooner do the doors slide open than all hell breaks loose. Everyone scrambles to get in and out at the same time. Ditto for buses. And watching Indians traveling by air is the stuff of memes. Aircraft barely hit the tarmac before passengers start lunging for overhead lockers.
Lest any PC nincompoop start shouting, "racist", let me point out that this article was written by an Indian. We have to accept that there are cultural differences that will result in different outcomes.

India is also densely populated:
India’s staggering population density doesn’t help either. About 455 people are packed into every square kilometer, according to World Bank data. Compare this to 148 in China, the world’s most populous nation. According to the 2011 census, the Gandhi Nagar subdistrict of Delhi has a population density of 89,185 people per square kilometer.
That does not help. But Singapore is also densely populated at 7,800 per square kilometre. Yet, Singapore is the best place to be for Covid19. Its the culture.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 am

neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
The eternal inability of most human beings accepting death for what it is - a necessary episode for evolution...

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 pm
They lack social discipline. We have workers' quarters that house mostly Indians. We get outbreaks in those dormitories. Granted that they have high density but so do our army camps. No clusters form in our camps. So I conclude that it is cultural. They are lacking in discipline. Maybe too invidualistic. Won't follow the rules of social distancing.

Then there is this:

They are supposed to stand on the circles to ensure social distancing. But they don't understand. So they put their shoes on the spots to reserve their places in the queue but sit close together.
Standing on circles doesn't help. If you are in a room with one person that is infectious for more then 15 minutes chances are you will get it. 6 feet or 60 feet away. One has to take enough viral load to get an infection. A more infectious mutation means it takes less of a viral load to be infected. IE if you go somewhere indoors where there are people don't stay long.

Eventually the virus will run out of practical gain of function mutations and people will become more or less immune to the virus. That is what happened to the Spanish Flu. It is still around it is just not capable of killing people that have resistance to it.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:51 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
The eternal inability of most human beings accepting death for what it is - a necessary episode for evolution...
DO you know Sertorio that there is no arrow of time? That implies that time does not exist as we perceive it. Once you are gone the time you existed and your existence itself still exists. At least for as long as the universe exists, you still exist in time. It could be part of religion or not. The physics does not say either way.