US capitalist system declines.

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 6718
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

US capitalist system declines.

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 am

A kind of bitterness at a fading American dream has settled in and agitated popular consciousness

Notwithstanding endlessly glib political speeches about bright futures, US capitalism has reached and passed its peak. Like that of the British Empire after World War I, the trip now is painful.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/increasin ... -declines/

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:21 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 am
A kind of bitterness at a fading American dream has settled in and agitated popular consciousness

Notwithstanding endlessly glib political speeches about bright futures, US capitalism has reached and passed its peak. Like that of the British Empire after World War I, the trip now is painful.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/increasin ... -declines/
Good article. Thanks.

Meanwhile we entertain ourselves electing Russia as a major threat to our security! How long will it take for supposedly smart Europeans to realize Russia is our natural partner? Together, Europe and Russia could become an effective counterweight to China.

Ellen
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Ellen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:38 am

"Good article. Thanks.

Meanwhile we entertain ourselves electing Russia as a major threat to our security! How long will it take for supposedly smart Europeans to realize Russia is our natural partner? Together, Europe and Russia could become an effective counterweight to China."


I agree with your first sentence, and not the rest, which as usual is just anti-American nonsense.

There is a real problem in American capitalism and it partly explains the rise of Donald Trump, although many people who see this problem vote Democratic. Both parties benefit from the system and will not change it. Trump wasn't smart enough to grasp what he could do about it (if anything) other than addressing unfair trade practices and illegal immigration. But these are problems that began 40-50 years ago, and are now deeply embedded in the system. Illegal immigration from Mexico should have been shut down in the 1980's, when it was still manageable. I lived in California for 2 years at that time, and it was completely obvious where things were headed. People just closed their eyes or took advantage of short-term opportunites. The white working class was hurt the most, and that partly (but only partly) explains their support for Trump.


The other part of the explanation is cultural - the hideous woke culture that has accompanied income polarization and stratification. The children of the people who benefited most from these distortions now rave on about white privelege and other idiocies. They are the privileged ones, and they all need to pay up for their damage they have done.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:49 am

Ellen wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:38 am
"Good article. Thanks.

Meanwhile we entertain ourselves electing Russia as a major threat to our security! How long will it take for supposedly smart Europeans to realize Russia is our natural partner? Together, Europe and Russia could become an effective counterweight to China."


I agree with your first sentence, and not the rest, which as usual is just anti-American nonsense.

There is a real problem in American capitalism and it partly explains the rise of Donald Trump, although many people who see this problem vote Democratic. Both parties benefit from the system and will not change it. Trump wasn't smart enough to grasp what he could do about it (if anything) other than addressing unfair trade practices and illegal immigration. But these are problems that began 40-50 years ago, and are now deeply embedded in the system. Illegal immigration from Mexico should have been shut down in the 1980's, when it was still manageable. I lived in California for 2 years at that time, and it was completely obvious where things were headed. People just closed their eyes or took advantage of short-term opportunites. The white working class was hurt the most, and that partly (but only partly) explains their support for Trump.


The other part of the explanation is cultural - the hideous woke culture that has accompanied income polarization and stratification. The children of the people who benefited most from these distortions now rave on about white privelege and other idiocies. They are the privileged ones, and they all need to pay up for their damage they have done.
Why is it anti-American nonsense? I don't even mention the US...

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 5353
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Doc » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 am
A kind of bitterness at a fading American dream has settled in and agitated popular consciousness

Notwithstanding endlessly glib political speeches about bright futures, US capitalism has reached and passed its peak. Like that of the British Empire after World War I, the trip now is painful.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/increasin ... -declines/
Richard D Wolf is a CCP, and Putin Apologist.And probably a communist.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:03 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 am
A kind of bitterness at a fading American dream has settled in and agitated popular consciousness

Notwithstanding endlessly glib political speeches about bright futures, US capitalism has reached and passed its peak. Like that of the British Empire after World War I, the trip now is painful.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/increasin ... -declines/
Richard D Wolf is a CCP, and Putin Apologist.And probably a communist.
Which means he can't be right...

Richard David Wolff (born April 1, 1942) is an American Marxian economist, known for his work on economic methodology and class analysis. He is Professor Emeritus of Economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and currently a Visiting Professor in the Graduate Program in International Affairs of the New School in New York. Wolff has also taught economics at Yale University, City University of New York, University of Utah, University of Paris I (Sorbonne), and The Brecht Forum in New York City.

Obviously a nobody...

User avatar
lzzrdgrrl
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:18 pm
Location: Okie Doke

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 am
A kind of bitterness at a fading American dream has settled in and agitated popular consciousness

Notwithstanding endlessly glib political speeches about bright futures, US capitalism has reached and passed its peak. Like that of the British Empire after World War I, the trip now is painful.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/increasin ... -declines/
Not too different from someone else's POV......'>......

That said, Marxism is the natural outgrowth and greatest error of the Enlightenment, convinced that it's just aberrant institutions responsible for the enslavement of mankind and not an evolving consciousness still beholden to pre-human impulses. Or call that 'original sin' if it pleases you.....'>......

Prof. R.D. Wolff's analysis and insight is pill on right up until you get to his philosophical and emotional alliances. You can say the same about the other bank of the river, but more and more it seems that science is giving credence to the Biblical outlook........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 am
A kind of bitterness at a fading American dream has settled in and agitated popular consciousness

Notwithstanding endlessly glib political speeches about bright futures, US capitalism has reached and passed its peak. Like that of the British Empire after World War I, the trip now is painful.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/increasin ... -declines/
Not too different from someone else's POV......'>......

That said, Marxism is the natural outgrowth and greatest error of the Enlightenment, convinced that it's just aberrant institutions responsible for the enslavement of mankind and not an evolving consciousness still beholden to pre-human impulses. Or call that 'original sin' if it pleases you.....'>......

Prof. R.D. Wolff's analysis and insight is pill on right up until you get to his philosophical and emotional alliances. You can say the same about the other bank of the river, but more and more it seems that science is giving credence to the Biblical outlook........
Can you quote any of their articles where such credence appears?...

Ellen
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Ellen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:49 am

"Prof. R.D. Wolff's analysis and insight is pill on right up until you get to his philosophical and emotional alliances."


Thank you Izz. I agree with your comments.

First, the one I quoted above. My son tells me I'm beginning to sound like Noam Chomsky. God forbid. I may agree with some of his analysis, as with Wolff's analysis in this essay. But absolutely not with his philosophical and emotional alliances, to repeat Izz's phrase. He is an anti-American, anti-Israel, pro-Communist, pro-3rd world dictatorship retrograde. I wouldn't be on the same side of any barricade with him. I'd throw a Molotov cocktail at him, before any of the sleazy, corrupt, and idiocratic elites that Spengler is referring to in his article.

That said, it doesn't mean that Wolff is wrong (or Chomsky) in his analysis. He is right about many things. The question is what to do about it. Marxism has been tried and failed. That is not the solution to any problem.

Maybe David Goldman is returning, at least in spirit, to some of the critiques he had about US-style capitalism when he was a young radical at Columbia University, before he fell in with the loony radicals of those days. Today, he is decidedly on the other side of the spectrum, especially regarding his "philosophical and emotional alliances." But nonetheless, he is able to see the problems of US capitalism with clear eyes.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US capitalist system declines.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:02 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 am

Not too different from someone else's POV......'>......
Sorry Izzy, but seeing that people are mostly lazy, here is Spengler's article you mentioned:
Meritocracy vs. Idiocracy: Why China Is Winning
BY DAVID P. GOLDMAN MAR 12, 2021 9:21 AM ET

Some of my conservative friends worry that China is trying to impose its political system on the rest of the world. Ask the Chinese about this, and they look at you as if you’re crazy: There’s no way you barbarians could reproduce our system, even if you wanted to, they explain. You can’t accept failure.

The key to China’s system is the willingness of its people to accept failure. The ticket to middle-class success in China is a university education, and 10 million Chinese high-school students take the entrance exam (Gaokao) every year. They study prodigiously, and the average Chinese family spends a year’s income on tutoring. They have to: the Gaokao is flabbergastingly difficult (see some sample questions here). But only half will pass. Some of each year’s losers re-take the exam; most will go to trade or technical schools. The top scorers go to prestigious universities like Peking or Tsinghua. The one thing Xi Jinping can’t do is to send his kid to Peking University. It’s all done by exam score.

China’s Communist Party has 93 million members. It co-opts the high achievers and gives them privileges. But because the system rests on pure, brutal, merciless meritocracy, the Chinese people accept that the top achievers will get the rewards.

The Chinese have been around for 5,000 years and shrug their shoulders at the extinction of cultures. Two hundred local dialects still are spoken in China (whose national language is a system of written ideograms rather than a spoken language), preserved as if in amber from China’s ancient past. Minorities that don’t integrate, for example the Turkic Muslim Uyghurs, will be suppressed and, if expedient, be exterminated.

We Americans are horriifed by failure. We are horrified that only a third of African-American women marry today (compared to 90% in the 1960s), that barely a third of African-American men admitted to US universities graduate, that 73% of African-American children are born to unmarried mothers, and blacks comprise just 13% of the U.S. population but 34% of the male prison population. We are so horrified that we redefine failure, to the point of insisting that there are no right and wrong answers to math problems. If no-one succeeds, then no-one can fail.

China thrives on failure. Yet China graduates six times as many STEM students as we do. A third of undergrads major in engineering vs 5%-6% in the U.S. China’s educational system, to be sure, favors the grind who memorizes exam answers over the maverick who asks deep questions. As we turn our schools into ideological indoctrination centers, though, what kind of creative minds will survive them?

We can’t fill the few slots we have for engineering students because our K-through-12 math instruction is too shoddy, and we are eliminating advance-track programs because they supposedly promote inequality.

Meritocracy will win, because it always does, and all the more so in a high-tech, winner-take-all world. If you’re curious what the fate of black people will be like in a China-dominated world, go to Youtube and type in the search term “China washing machine commercial.” Instead of a democratic meritocracy that rewards achievement while honoring the rights of the individual, we will have a merciless meritocracy that treats the losers like so much detritus.

Post Reply