Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Post by Milo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:34 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:37 pm

Don't you find it strange cass that historically and going back centuries: regardless of what regime of government the Russian state produces to live under; Tsarist, post-Bolshevik Communist or post-Communist authoritarian they always conduct their foreign policy in ways that arouse the fears and misgivings of others; especially of their near neighbours. The Russian urge seems always to dominate and rule; not to build bonds of empathy and trust.
Such as?...
neverfail wrote:
The same goes for Asia. As I pointed out the Filipinos asked the US to leave and they left. So what you said, Sertorio, is nonsense. Or at least, the majority of Europeans don’t agree with you. US forces are in Europe because most Europeans desire US protection.
Let's see:
Many Germans want U.S. troops to withdraw from their country, where nearly 35,000 American servicemembers are stationed, according to a new poll.

The YouGov survey, commissioned by the German Press Agency DPA, found 42 percent of respondents want U.S. troops out, while 37 percent want them to stay and 21 percent are undecided or didn’t answer. The margin of error was plus or minus five percent.

https://www.stripes.com/news/poll-42-of ... y-1.537230
Also:
More than four Europeans out of ten (43 %) consider that the decisions concerning European defence policy should be taken by the European Union. Only 17 % of the respondents think that NATO should take them while 24% think that the national governments should be entrusted with them.

https://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/pu ... umm_en.pdf
neverfail wrote:
Why does Sertorio have so much difficulty in visualising the Western alliance as a voluntary alssociation of states who group together in their own mutual best interests?
I guess what I posted above should answer your question...
Four out of ten Europeans don't know what NATO or the EU do. Sertorio is one of them.

Sertorio

Re: Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Post by Sertorio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:02 am

Milo wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 am

Four out of ten Europeans don't know what NATO or the EU do. Sertorio is one of them.
Besides being an educated person, with a PhD in Political Science and International Relations, I have an IQ of 140. There is at least a 98% probability that I am smarter than you. Being genetic, and not the result of any effort on my part, I feel no pride whatsoever in my IQ. It just happened, but I cannot ignore it, and neither should you...Think about it when you feel tempted to pass judgement on what I know or do not know...

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:02 am
Milo wrote:

Besides being an educated person, with a PhD in Political Science and International Relations, I have an IQ of 140. There is at least a 98% probability that I am smarter than you. Being genetic, and not the result of any effort on my part, I feel no pride whatsoever in my IQ. It just happened, but I cannot ignore it, and neither should you...Think about it when you feel tempted to pass judgement on what I know or do not know...
Then why do you think such a nonsensical question should be referenced?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:20 pm

Milo wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:17 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

Then why do you think such a nonsensical question should be referenced?
Just for the record, you being a lawyer and all that...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

I hope that you are aware that having a high IQ along with impressive academic credentials has never given anyone immunity to making unsound judgements?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:28 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:09 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

I hope that you are aware that having a high IQ along with impressive academic credentials has never given anyone immunity to making unsound judgements?
That's right, but it should spare me being all the time accused of ignorance by a tiresome Canadian lawyer short of arguments... :roll:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:28 pm
neverfail wrote:

That's right, but it should spare me being all the time accused of ignorance by a tiresome Canadian lawyer short of arguments... :roll:
:lol: :lol:

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

I never accused Sertorio of ignorance, merely of being ignorant of something in particular. As usual, he unleashed his straw army against me.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

I never accused Sertorio of ignorance, merely of being ignorant of something in particular. As usual, he unleashed his straw army against me.
Being ignorant in my field of expertise, political science and international relations! That's smart of you... :mrgreen: