Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:52 pm

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/beijing-u ... china-sea/

Beijing ups the ante in the South China Sea

Manila has deployed its navy, Coast Guard and other vessels to monitor the area Chinese ships have occupied.
https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/pu ... 57h65.html

Pushing the limits of COVID diplomacy, Philippines threatens to expel Chinese official
................................................................................................................................................

Apart from the illegality of the PRC occupation of islands and waters off the Philippine coastline that are internationally recognised as being within the exclusive economic zone of the Philippines: were I myself a Filipino I would want the PRC to piss off away from my country's coastline just to get rid of an overweening foreign power from off my country's doorstep.

The Philippines lacks the military might to forcably remove the offending power which leaves it with but one option: enlist the USA to do it for them.

President Obama back in the final months of hisn second term told Duterte that the USA would not go to war with China over the Scarborough reefs and shoals and Trump (despite his penchant for bellicose blathering) subsequently did not do a thing either. It leavs me to wonder whether Biden will be more assertive in his support for this country: once ruled outright by the USA and an ally since independence in 1946.

Time for the sheriff to serve the PRC its eviction notice instead of allowing matters to drift?

Milo

Re: Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Post by Milo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:52 pm
https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/beijing-u ... china-sea/

Beijing ups the ante in the South China Sea

Manila has deployed its navy, Coast Guard and other vessels to monitor the area Chinese ships have occupied.
https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/pu ... 57h65.html

Pushing the limits of COVID diplomacy, Philippines threatens to expel Chinese official
................................................................................................................................................

Apart from the illegality of the PRC occupation of islands and waters off the Philippine coastline that are internationally recognised as being within the exclusive economic zone of the Philippines: were I myself a Filipino I would want the PRC to piss off away from my country's coastline just to get rid of an overweening foreign power from off my country's doorstep.

The Philippines lacks the military might to forcably remove the offending power which leaves it with but one option: enlist the USA to do it for them.

President Obama back in the final months of hisn second term told Duterte that the USA would not go to war with China over the Scarborough reefs and shoals and Trump (despite his penchant for bellicose blathering) subsequently did not do a thing either. It leavs me to wonder whether Biden will be more assertive in his support for this country: once ruled outright by the USA and an ally since independence in 1946.

Time for the sheriff to serve the PRC its eviction notice instead of allowing matters to drift?
Duterte is exactly the kind of guy to sell out his country while making the appropriate noises. So far that appears to me to be what is happening. If the Philippines can’t assert itself, why should anyone bother?

neverfail

Re: Philippines government learns that it has only one ally to back it against China.

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

Duterte is exactly the kind of guy to sell out his country while making the appropriate noises. So far that appears to me to be what is happening. If the Philippines can’t assert itself, why should anyone bother?
The answer is "geopolitics".

The loss of the Philippines into the Sinosphere would leave a big gaping hole in the Quad grouping effort to containn China from reaching far into the Pacific Ocean.

Duterte, who is from outside the traditional Philippines establishment political circle, has been eratic in foreign policy just as he has occasionally reached outside the loaw in domestic; But I don't view him as a traitor.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:31 pm
Milo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

The answer is "geopolitics".

The loss of the Philippines into the Sinosphere would leave a big gaping hole in the Quad grouping effort to containn China from reaching far into the Pacific Ocean.

Duterte, who is from outside the traditional Philippines establishment political circle, has been eratic in foreign policy just as he has occasionally reached outside the loaw in domestic; But I don't view him as a traitor.
The US can’t be the bad guy all the time because it’s somewhat troublesome for others, and after all the US can do fine without them.

And I think Duterte would sell his mother to a slow painful death for one blowjob.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm

I agree Duerte is a bad boy.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm
He is Cass, a real sinner. (Not the only one in Philippines politics like him either.)

My wife heard two disturbing bits of news today:

The first is that 70% of the Philippines economy is now owned by Chinese interests.

The second is that Duterte himself is of Chinese ancestry.

I cannot vouch for the factuality of either - I did not myself hear the news report and do not know the source.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 am
cassowary wrote:
He is Cass, a real sinner. (Not the only one in Philippines politics like him either.)

The first is that 70% of the Philippines economy is now owned by Chinese interests.

I cannot vouch for the factuality of either - I did not myself hear the news report and do not know the source.
Xi's dream of restoring Chinese glory by turning SE Asia into their vassal states as in the days of old is coming true. I don't think the US alone can stop China because Chinese GDP will overtake that of the US in 5 years' time. An alliance of democracies is needed. Europe will also need to get involved. The recent German warship sailing into S China Sea is welcome news and a surprise for me. An expansion of NATO to include Japan, Australia and India should be on the agenda.

This feels like the 1930s all over again. Instead of Stalin and Hitler dividing up Europe, we will now get Putin and Xi dividing up the world. Leftists were then happy to support both Hitler and Stalin just like our resident leftist (guess who?) supports both Xi and Putin.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Xi's dream of restoring Chinese glory by turning SE Asia into their vassal states as in the days of old is coming true. I don't think the US alone can stop China because Chinese GDP will overtake that of the US in 5 years' time. An alliance of democracies is needed. Europe will also need to get involved. The recent German warship sailing into S China Sea is welcome news and a surprise for me. An expansion of NATO to include Japan, Australia and India should be on the agenda.

This feels like the 1930s all over again. Instead of Stalin and Hitler dividing up Europe, we will now get Putin and Xi dividing up the world. Leftists were then happy to support both Hitler and Stalin just like our resident leftist (guess who?) supports both Xi and Putin.
We have a proverb in Portugal which says:

"Contra factos não há argumentos."

I will leave it to you to translate it, but it means you cannot fight reality. China's growing power is a fact and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Better get used. After all living in a world under Pax sinica is a lot better than being dead, which could very well happen if you insist on travelling on the Titanic...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

We have a proverb in Portugal which says:

"Contra factos não há argumentos."

I will leave it to you to translate it, but it means you cannot fight reality. China's growing power is a fact and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Better get used. After all living in a world under Pax sinica is a lot better than being dead, which could very well happen if you insist on travelling on the Titanic...
The hope for the future of democracy lies in India. In the meantime, an alliance of democracies must buy time for India for it to put its house in order. An expansion of NATO to include, India, Japan and Australia. Trade barriers to encourage factories to move out of China to India and elsewhere, growth policies in western countries to boost GDP (ie low taxes, low spending fiscal policies).

...............................................................................................................

Sertorio, your glee at the rise of China tells me that behind every leftist is a totalitarian screaming to get out, as what David Horowitz said. Xi reminds me of Hitler. Xi puts people in concentration camps like Hitler did. Yet you support him. I have often said that the Nazis were a leftist party. Your support of Xi confirms what I said.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 am

The hope for the future of democracy lies in India. In the meantime, an alliance of democracies must buy time for India for it to put its house in order. An expansion of NATO to include, India, Japan and Australia. Trade barriers to encourage factories to move out of China to India and elsewhere, growth policies in western countries to boost GDP (ie low taxes, low spending fiscal policies).

...............................................................................................................

Sertorio, your glee at the rise of China tells me that behind every leftist is a totalitarian screaming to get out, as what David Horowitz said. Xi reminds me of Hitler. Xi puts people in concentration camps like Hitler did. Yet you support him. I have often said that the Nazis were a leftist party. Your support of Xi confirms what I said.
Warmongers like you never contributed to peace anywhere. All you do is killing and maiming. Unfortunately for people like you, warmongers are sometimes the first casualties of the wars they start...