Is War About to Start in the Ukraine?

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Is War About to Start in the Ukraine?

Post by Sertorio » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am

As Russian Tanks Move Toward Ukraine, The Globe Braces For The Possibility That World War 3 Could Soon Erupt
by Michael Snyder - March 31, 2021
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/as-r ... oon-erupt/

At this hour, more Russian military forces are massed near Ukraine’s borders than we have ever seen before. Western military leaders say that they are concerned that the troop movements that we have witnessed in recent days may be leading up to an invasion, and if an invasion does happen it will greatly test the resolve of the Biden administration, EU leaders and NATO brass. In particular, the hawks in the Biden administration would almost certainly not be willing to just sit back and let the Russians conquer all of Ukraine. There would likely be a major response by the United States, and that could set off a chain reaction that could ultimately spark World War 3.

So what made the Russians suddenly move a massive invasion force toward Ukraine?

Well, it turns out that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky essentially signed a declaration of war against Russia on March 24th. The document that he signed is known as Decree No. 117/2021, and you won’t read anything about it in the corporate media.

I really had to dig to find Decree No. 117/2021, but eventually I found it. I took several of the paragraphs at the beginning of the document and I ran them through Google translate…

In accordance with Article 107 of the Constitution of Ukraine, I decree:

1. To put into effect the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine of March 11, 2021 “On the Strategy of deoccupation and reintegration of the temporarily occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol” (attached).

2. To approve the Strategy of deoccupation and reintegration of the temporarily occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol (attached).

3. Control over the implementation of the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, enacted by this Decree, shall be vested in the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine.

4. This Decree shall enter into force on the day of its publication.

President of Ukraine V.ZELENSKY

March 24, 2021

Basically, this decree makes it the official policy of the government of Ukraine to retake Crimea from Russia.

Of course the Russians will never hand over Crimea willingly because they consider it to be Russian territory, and so Ukraine would have to take it by force.

This is essentially a declaration of war against Russia, and Zelensky would have never signed such a document without the approval of the Biden administration.

Following the signing of Decree No. 117/2021, we started to see Russian forces pour into Crimea and into separatist-held areas of eastern Ukraine at a staggering rate.

In addition, it is being reported that the 56th Guards Air Assault Brigade is on the move, and that is not a good sign at all.

The Russians are taking Zelensky’s declaration of war very seriously, but the corporate media in the western world is blaming “Russian aggression” for the increase in tensions in the region.

But the truth is that the Russians never would have made any of these moves if warmongers in the Biden administration had not given Zelensky the green light to sign Decree No. 117/2021.

And what most people in the western world don’t know is that fighting has already begun in Ukraine. The ceasefire that was agreed to in July 2020 has been violated hundreds of times over the past week…

The OSCE’s civilian Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine has reported hundreds of cease-fire violations in recent days. On March 26, four Ukrainian soldiers were killed and two others injured in the eastern part of the country.

The Ukrainian military said its soldiers were hit by a mortar attack it blamed on Russian troops. Russia denies having a military presence in eastern Ukraine, where it backs separatist forces.

At this point, the ceasefire of July 2020 is completely dead.

In response to the renewed fighting, U.S. European Command “has raised its alert status to the highest level”…

U.S. European Command has raised its alert status to the highest level after fighting resumed between Russian-backed separatists and Ukrainian soldiers in the Donetsk Region of eastern Ukraine, marking the end of a June 2020 ceasefire, and Russian forces began building up military equipment along the border.

And we just learned that the chairman of the joint chiefs actually had a telephone call with his counterpart in Russia on Wednesday to address the escalating situation…

In a statement on Facebook on Wednesday, the Russian Ministry of Defense said that at the initiative of the U.S., chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Mark Milley, had a telephone conversation with his counterpart. “Issues of mutual interest were discussed,” the statement said.

In the days ahead, the corporate media in the western world is going to continue talking about “Russian aggression”, and the Russians are going to continue to blame Zelensky and the Biden administration for the rise of tensions in the region.

Ultimately, we could spend countless hours debating who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

But what really matters is keeping this from escalating into a global conflict. Because if someone does something really stupid and the Russians feel a need to send their invasion force into Ukraine, there will be no going back ever.

I have been warning about a future conflict between the United States and Russia for a very long time, and we have never been closer than we are right now.

With Trump in the White House, relations with Russia were relatively stable, but now Joe Biden is in charge.

Biden is a hothead that is showing signs of advanced cognitive decline, and he is surrounded by a team of warmongers that are determined to put Russian President Vladimir Putin in his place.

The inmates are running the asylum, and it won’t take much of a mistake at all for things to go horribly, horribly wrong.
Is there anyone in the West who thinks the US or NATO could stop a (probably limited) Russian invasion of the Ukraine? It would either lead to WW III - which I doubt - or to an humiliating defeat of NATO. And probably would lead to a partition of the Ukraine between Russia and Poland.

Doc

Re: Is War About to Start in the Ukraine?

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:31 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am
As Russian Tanks Move Toward Ukraine, The Globe Braces For The Possibility That World War 3 Could Soon Erupt
by Michael Snyder - March 31, 2021
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/as-r ... oon-erupt/

At this hour, more Russian military forces are massed near Ukraine’s borders than we have ever seen before. Western military leaders say that they are concerned that the troop movements that we have witnessed in recent days may be leading up to an invasion, and if an invasion does happen it will greatly test the resolve of the Biden administration, EU leaders and NATO brass. In particular, the hawks in the Biden administration would almost certainly not be willing to just sit back and let the Russians conquer all of Ukraine. There would likely be a major response by the United States, and that could set off a chain reaction that could ultimately spark World War 3.

So what made the Russians suddenly move a massive invasion force toward Ukraine?

Well, it turns out that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky essentially signed a declaration of war against Russia on March 24th. The document that he signed is known as Decree No. 117/2021, and you won’t read anything about it in the corporate media.

I really had to dig to find Decree No. 117/2021, but eventually I found it. I took several of the paragraphs at the beginning of the document and I ran them through Google translate…

In accordance with Article 107 of the Constitution of Ukraine, I decree:

1. To put into effect the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine of March 11, 2021 “On the Strategy of deoccupation and reintegration of the temporarily occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol” (attached).

2. To approve the Strategy of deoccupation and reintegration of the temporarily occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol (attached).

3. Control over the implementation of the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, enacted by this Decree, shall be vested in the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine.

4. This Decree shall enter into force on the day of its publication.

President of Ukraine V.ZELENSKY

March 24, 2021

Basically, this decree makes it the official policy of the government of Ukraine to retake Crimea from Russia.
When was this not the goal of the Ukranian government?
Of course the Russians will never hand over Crimea willingly because they consider it to be Russian territory, and so Ukraine would have to take it by force.

This is essentially a declaration of war against Russia, and Zelensky would have never signed such a document without the approval of the Biden administration.
[/quote]

Probably not.
Following the signing of Decree No. 117/2021, we started to see Russian forces pour into Crimea and into separatist-held areas of eastern Ukraine at a staggering rate.

In addition, it is being reported that the 56th Guards Air Assault Brigade is on the move, and that is not a good sign at all.

The Russians are taking Zelensky’s declaration of war very seriously, but the corporate media in the western world is blaming “Russian aggression” for the increase in tensions in the region.

But the truth is that the Russians never would have made any of these moves if warmongers in the Biden administration had not given Zelensky the green light to sign Decree No. 117/2021.
[/quote]

They would have not made any of these moves had Putin not installed his puppet to the Ukraine presidency

And what most people in the western world don’t know is that fighting has already begun in Ukraine. The ceasefire that was agreed to in July 2020 has been violated hundreds of times over the past week…

The OSCE’s civilian Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine has reported hundreds of cease-fire violations in recent days. On March 26, four Ukrainian soldiers were killed and two others injured in the eastern part of the country.

The Ukrainian military said its soldiers were hit by a mortar attack it blamed on Russian troops. Russia denies having a military presence in eastern Ukraine, where it backs separatist forces.

At this point, the ceasefire of July 2020 is completely dead.

In response to the renewed fighting, U.S. European Command “has raised its alert status to the highest level”…

U.S. European Command has raised its alert status to the highest level after fighting resumed between Russian-backed separatists and Ukrainian soldiers in the Donetsk Region of eastern Ukraine, marking the end of a June 2020 ceasefire, and Russian forces began building up military equipment along the border.

And we just learned that the chairman of the joint chiefs actually had a telephone call with his counterpart in Russia on Wednesday to address the escalating situation…

In a statement on Facebook on Wednesday, the Russian Ministry of Defense said that at the initiative of the U.S., chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Mark Milley, had a telephone conversation with his counterpart. “Issues of mutual interest were discussed,” the statement said.

In the days ahead, the corporate media in the western world is going to continue talking about “Russian aggression”, and the Russians are going to continue to blame Zelensky and the Biden administration for the rise of tensions in the region.

Ultimately, we could spend countless hours debating who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

But what really matters is keeping this from escalating into a global conflict. Because if someone does something really stupid and the Russians feel a need to send their invasion force into Ukraine, there will be no going back ever.

I have been warning about a future conflict between the United States and Russia for a very long time, and we have never been closer than we are right now.

With Trump in the White House, relations with Russia were relatively stable, but now Joe Biden is in charge.

Biden is a hothead that is showing signs of advanced cognitive decline, and he is surrounded by a team of warmongers that are determined to put Russian President Vladimir Putin in his place.

The inmates are running the asylum, and it won’t take much of a mistake at all for things to go horribly, horribly wrong.
Is there anyone in the West who thinks the US or NATO could stop a (probably limited) Russian invasion of the Ukraine? It would either lead to WW III - which I doubt - or to an humiliating defeat of NATO. And probably would lead to a partition of the Ukraine between Russia and Poland.
[/quote]

Putin should just hold for a better deal from Biden. Maybe this time he can take all of Ukraine since Biden like Obama hasn't actually sent any military hardware to help the Ukrainians. IE Biden will do nothing.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am

As far as I know it has never been confirmed that the US interfered in the Ukraine but if it did, it shouldn’t have. I think Russia is welcome to whatever it wants in that sphere. Russia stole Crimea fair and square and if the Ukraine can’t afford to be independent they should stop trying to be.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:19 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am
As far as I know it has never been confirmed that the US interfered in the Ukraine but if it did, it shouldn’t have. I think Russia is welcome to whatever it wants in that sphere. Russia stole Crimea fair and square and if the Ukraine can’t afford to be independent they should stop trying to be.
Something like that. Ukrainians need to elect someone that is honest and willing to spend the political capital to clean up its government.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am

Why should Poland want any part of Ukraine? That would only serve to give this country a much longer border with Russia than the one is presently has with Russia's Kaliningrad exclave - exposing it to the prospect of future Russian aggression.

Apart from the fact that Ukranians might not want their country to be incorporared into Poland any more than they want to live under the Russian thumb.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Is anyone aware that Crimea has been part of Russia until 1953?

It had been Russian since Tsarina Catherine the Great annexed it into her empire in 1783.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm

It had been Russian since Tsarina Catherine the Great annexed it into her empire in 1783.
Everybody except those Americans and British who want to keep Russia weak and vulnerable.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Everybody except those Americans and British who want to keep Russia weak and vulnerable.
:lol:

Well, as you can see Sertorio I know about it so for this discussion that is all that matters. :)

Ukraine is NOT a member state of the NATO alliance so NATO is under no legal obligation to come to Ukraine's assistance militarily should Russian forces invade.

Nor does Ukraine have any seperate bi-lateral alliance with the United States that might otherwise move that power to intervene on behalf of Ukraine.

In light of that the posturing of the US government over this looks like all bluff and bluster.

Putin by now must have picked up the hollowness of the Western response and is likely to act boldly.

It was the hollow diplomatic "bluff and bluster" responses of the two premier Western powers of the day, France and Britain, in the latter 1930's to each successive new provocation by Adolf Hitler that emboldened this dictator to initiate successively greater outrages: confident that he and Nazi Germany alike could get away with it unpunished. In the end these two powers could no longer ignore either Germany's growing might or Hitler's contempt for the rules based international order of the day.

The consequence was the Second World War.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:23 am

Paul Craig Roberts Asks A Question Of Sorts.
https://smoothiex12.blogspot.com/

In his latest, Dr. Roberts makes a valid point:

Martyanov believes that Washington’s guarantee to Ukraine is a temptest in a teacup as Washington will not really risk confronting Russia militarily. https://smoothiex12.blogspot.com I wonder if Martyanov is giving Washington too much credit for awareness. If Washington were reading the situation correctly, would the US Secretary of Defense have given Ukraine a guarantee against Russian intervention if Ukraine, now better armed by Washington, renews its assault on Donbass? Washington wants conflict between Russia and Ukraine, and the purpose of giving the guarantee is to produce conflict. Martyanov might be correct that Ukraine is too wary to trust the guarantee, and that Washington would not stand behind it. But escalation can have momentum of its own. The publicized guarantee could result in extreme elements pushing the Ukrainian president into foolhardy action. Neocons and liberal interventionists could insist Washington’s word and reputation are at stake and demand that Biden go to Ukraine’s aid. I agree with Martyanov that it would be a war based on stupid nonsense, but these things do happen. I only raise questions. Saker and Martyanov are better informed on these matters than I. Nevertheless, I think the risk is high that the American people are going to be very regretful that they permitted the military/security complex to use the dumbshit Democrats to prevent President Trump from normalizing relations with Russia.

I totally agree that confrontation can turn into the full out war very quickly, especially considering an appalling lack of competence and excessive supply of arrogance and stupidity of current administration. But Washington was misreading and misjudging Russia for the last 20+ years at least, in reality--much longer. But that is the whole point, both Lavrov and Putin are on record when warning about "Ukrainian statehood" in case Ukraine decides to go all the way, especially under the pressure from Washington which needs war in which Russia will be involved. Washington DOES NOT have military resources to do anything with Russia in Ukraine. In general US troops in Europe, in whatever configuration, are merely targets for Russia, let alone if Washington does commit its feeble military resources "in support" of Ukraine. Yes, this could turn ugly very fast and this will create a danger of of an escalation towards nuclear threshold because the United States cannot win conventionally.

But then again, I am on record for years that the US is increasingly desperate and feels its marginalization, both economically and militarily, in Eurasia. It is ready to do even unthinkable, once one considers the mental state of the US "elites", to hold on to whatever is left of the American Empire. In this case, what is left to mitigate this insanity is Russia's calm but firm posture and I can guarantee that Russians conveyed to the American side what it may expect if it continues on this path. Russia DOES posses escalation dominance and people in Washington know that Ukraine armed forces will be obliterated but think that it gives Washington a pretext to isolating Russia from Europe. What can I say, Russia completed her reorientation towards Asia, so, it is up to Europe to decide what it wants to do. But Russia WILL resolve the issue of Ukraine now and if the United States will stand in the way, well, God help us all. In conclusion: I disagree that Trump really wanted to improve relations with Russia. In his view, it was merely a tactical maneuver, an obverse Nixon's China policy of sorts. Russians didn't buy it. Russia and the United States today are in irreconcilable positions and no dialogue is possible with current US "elites" for a variety of geopolitical, economic, historic and, importantly, moral-ethical reasons.
Intelligent people understand this is the real situation. Many Americans - and the whole Biden Administration - do not. So, we are going to have a fight over the Ukraine. Will the sovereign state of the Ukraine be the only victim? Will the US be taught the lesson it needs taking? Will we all be the victims of US stupidity?

neverfail

Re: POLAND 1939 revisited?

Post by neverfail » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:01 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:23 am

Intelligent people understand this is the real situation. Many Americans - and the whole Biden Administration - do not. So, we are going to have a fight over the Ukraine. Will the sovereign state of the Ukraine be the only victim? Will the US be taught the lesson it needs taking? Will we all be the victims of US stupidity?
Will the Ukraine, through no fault of its own, become the victim of Putin's aggression because no one stood up to defend it?