GEORGIA on my mind (but not like an old, sweet song).

Discussion of current events
neverfail

GEORGIA on my mind (but not like an old, sweet song).

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:13 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ll-signing

Georgia's governor signed 'Jim Crow' voting bill under painting of a slave plantation
:shock:

Does not the federal level of government have the power to overrule errant state administrations when they try to create gerrymanders as blatant as this one?

Jim the Moron

Re: GEORGIA on my mind (but not like an old, sweet song).

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:10 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:13 pm

Georgia's governor signed 'Jim Crow' voting bill under painting of a slave plantation

Does not the federal level of government have the power to overrule errant state administrations when they try to create gerrymanders as blatant as this one?

Precisely what "gerrymanders" were created? Do you know the meaning of "gerrymander?"

In what respect is the legislation a "Jim Crow" voting bill?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:17 am

neverfail wrote:

States rights are very important, and only a state's people can decide which laws are applicable to them.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:59 pm

neverfail wrote:

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:10 pm
Do you know the meaning of "gerrymander?"
Yep! I even know the identity of the person it was named after. Do you?
In what respect is the legislation a "Jim Crow" voting bill?
Are you in denial over the obviouis, Jim?

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:25 pm

neverfail wrote:

Not Jim Crow Jim Croce

His laws:

You don't tug on superman's cape
You do spite into the wind
You don't rip the mask off the old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim.

NF if you want to believe the propaganda, you live far away and are pretty much harmless. All the Georgia law does is put voting law back to where it was 5 years ago. States under the constitution are responsible for voting laws. They are responsible for keeping them fair and honest. They are also sovereign in this. If the Federal government tries to force itself into the process with a heavy hand, that will be the end of the UNITED States. The fascists know that. Which is the reason for all the propaganda.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:28 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:17 am
neverfail wrote:

States rights are very important, and only a state's people can decide which laws are applicable to them.
TO some extent. Under the US constitution the federal government has rights. the States have rights and everything not specifically given to government as a right, is the right of the people.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:46 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:25 pm

NF if you want to believe the propaganda, you live far away and are pretty much harmless. All the Georgia law does is put voting law back to where it was 5 years ago. States under the constitution are responsible for voting laws. They are responsible for keeping them fair and honest. They are also sovereign in this. If the Federal government tries to force itself into the process with a heavy hand, that will be the end of the UNITED States. The fascists know that. Which is the reason for all the propaganda.
All right Doc. In this instance I will play dumb and ask you:

1. What makes these new/old voting restrictions fairer than the voting provisions in ofrce for the past years?

2. If these are fairer (as distinct from being warped to favour gratituous wins by the Republican Party) then why has there been such an outcry over there about them?

P.S. you can cut out the patronising tone of address too. :)

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:54 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:25 pm

All right Doc. In this instance I will play dumb and ask you:

1. What makes these new/old voting restrictions fairer than the voting provisions in ofrce for the past years?[
They are pretty much the same.as before.
2. If these are fairer (as distinct from being warped to favour gratituous wins by the Republican Party) then why has there been such an outcry over there about them?

P.S. you can cut out the patronising tone of address too. :)
I already told you why there has been such an outcry

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:50 am

The last election was only unfair when Republicans lost votes, according to Republicans.

Now Republicans have passed laws that favour them in Georgia, which makes elections fairer, according to Republicans.

neverfail

Re: some things never change in the deep South.

Post by neverfail » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:02 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:50 am
The last election was only unfair when Republicans lost votes, according to Republicans.

Now Republicans have passed laws that favour them in Georgia, which makes elections fairer, according to Republicans.
:lol: Thanks for affirming my suspicion.

The new (old?) law even forbids people from providing water to voters stuck in long queues. How is that supposed to make voting fairer?
............................................................................................................................................

Milo, some years ago an Australian news reporter (foreign correspondent) who holds dual US/Aust. citizenship published out here his observation on the experience of voting in the USA. He lives in an affluent middle class suburb and there was/is no queue of voters - residents in these areas across the US are given the red carpet treatment with enough well staffed polling stations to ensure prompt, efficient service. But just drive to any polling station in a poor area (in the US that usually means districts with a demographically high "ethnic" component in the population) and you always see long queues waiting patiently to reach the polling station. It must take real grit and determination to spent hours in such a queue just to exercise your right to vote.

Patently clear from that contrast that the authorities go out of their way to make it hard for residents in poor areas to vote by deliberately making voting a disagreeable, time consuming experience: no doubt in the hope that a lot of thyem will become disgruntled and give up before they can get inside the polling booth to collect their ballot papers. Georgia's ban on providing refreshments to voters stuck in such long queues is an especially petty-minded bit of discriminatory treatment.

That illustrate the peril of allowing the voting rules, regulations and conditions to be entrusted to interested (and characteristically underhand) political types; who of course are in a position to monkey around with them; instead of placing the organising of elections in the hands of an independent statuary body like out Commonwealth Electoral Commissiion here in Australia.
................................................................................................................................

Back in the days when the white population of the American South (i.e. the former slave-owning Confederacy states that post-Civil War morphed into the Jim Crow law states) gave its allegance to the (Dixie) Democrats I could imagine Democrats state administrations in these states getting up to thye same tricks in order to negate the voting rights of blacks. Since the Democrats Party (when Lyndon Johnson was President) in the 1960's threw its support behind the black civil rights movement thereby losing that allegance to the Republican Party it would seem that in these same states they are now getting up to the same tricks for the same purpose of diminishing the power of the black vote. The party allegance might have changed but what has remained constant throughout is the demand by the white majorities they serve down there to "keep white above black".
...............................................................................................................................