Jim the Moron

Re: ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:22 pm

"Myanmar military leader asks for Prayut's support for democracy"
https://thaipbsworld.com/myanmar-milita ... democracy/

Jaw-dropping irony . . .

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Oops!

It appears that the Thai cyber police picked up on the stupidity of Thai and Burmese military dictators conversing about democracy (Thai PBS). Here's a similar account from Reuters -

https://reuters.com/article/us-myanmar- ... SKBN2AA0V7

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:07 am

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Indonesia in "intense" palaver with Burma's military dictatorship?

https://channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/i ... i-14272378

The only adult in the ASEAN room is Singapore. All others pretend to converse on issues relating to the problems of other members, thereby reinforcing the validity of their repressive governments.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 am

"The U.N. Security Council failed to agree on Tuesday on a statement that would have condemned the coup in Myanmar."

https://usnews.com/news/world/articles/ ... anmar-coup

We all know what to expect from the useless ASEAN. But we should expect better from the UN. Or wait - on second thought ...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:11 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 am
"The U.N. Security Council failed to agree on Tuesday on a statement that would have condemned the coup in Myanmar."

We all know what to expect from the useless ASEAN. But we should expect better from the UN. Or wait - on second thought ...
The world would be a better place if, except in extreme cases, we stopped interfering in other countries' internal affairs. Intervening in Pol Pot's Cambodia would have been acceptable, interfering in Myanmar's situation, is not.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:08 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:11 am
Jim the Moron wrote:

The world would be a better place if, except in extreme cases, we stopped interfering in other countries' internal affairs. Intervening in Pol Pot's Cambodia would have been acceptable, interfering in Myanmar's situation, is not.
Why not?

Do you condone the persecution and dispossesion of the Rohinga (along with other minority communities)? The current arrest and detention of Aung San Suu Kyi? The indiscriminate shooting of peaceful protestors?

My God! This backward countries needs several hundred years of additional British colonial rule to train the Burmese in the art of conducting their politics in a non-violent civilised manner. The Brits gave this country its soverign independence far too soon long before they had completed their mission.

Myanmar, formerly Burma, is as bad as any African multi-tribal state and seems worse in its conduct than the majority of them.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:08 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:11 am
Jim the Moron wrote:

Why not?

Do you condone the persecution and dispossesion of the Rohinga (along with other minority communities)? The current arrest and detention of Aung San Suu Kyi? The indiscriminate shooting of peaceful protestors?
I do not condone any curtailing of people's rights, but we should consider that the Rohinga were trying to create a separate state and refused forming a true community with the Burmese. If the Vietnamese who sought refuge in Australia would have all gathered in a particular area of the country and, once a local majority, would have declared secession from Australia, what would you have thought?
neverfail wrote:
My God! This backward countries needs several hundred years of additional British colonial rule to train the Burmese in the art of conducting their politics in a non-violent civilised manner. The Brits gave this country its soverign independence far too soon long before they had completed their mission.
Well, we saw how civilized, non-violent, was the British intervention in Northern Ireland...

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 pm

Another Myanmar party official dies in custody. They must have a very serious Covid-1984 outbreak in Myanmar's prisons. As Myanmar now with two dead politicians leads the world in politicians dead from COVID. I am trying to think are there any other countries who lost politicians to COVID?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 am

I do not condone any curtailing of people's rights, but we should consider that the Rohinga were trying to create a separate state and refused forming a true community with the Burmese. If the Vietnamese who sought refuge in Australia would have all gathered in a particular area of the country and, once a local majority, would have declared secession from Australia, what would you have thought?
:lol: I would have pissed my pants laughing, Sertorio

I did not know that the Rohinga were striving to form a seperate state but if they were then they probably have valid reasons for so doing. There could not bee a single regional non-Bamar minority in the country, not the Shan, the Karen nor the Kachin (etc. ) dwelling around Burma's rim that have not sought out seperation from Myanmar and fought for it. In that context the Rohanga are merely the latest in a long list of disaffected.

It strongly suggests to me that it is the majority Bamar (from whom the old name for the country, Burma, is presumably derived) establishment; nationalistic and with a brutal, lawless military; are the ones who have failed to reach out to these minorities to form a shared sense of community with a broad policy of inclusiveness.

Your comparison of the Rohinga who have been living there for centuries with the Vietnamese in Australia (recently arrived refugees and first generation descendents who are by now well established in the Australian mainstream) is plain ludicrous.
neverfail wrote:
Well, we saw how civilized, non-violent, was the British intervention in Northern Ireland...
What I saw there over decades from afar was the uncivilised, violent rebellion by the IRA and the long-lived behaviour of the oppressive, repressive protestant-unionist establishment whose institutionalised, disdainful contempt for the Irish Catholics brought that revolt about.

If you have to work in a sewer at the end of your shift expect to come up smelling of shit.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 pm

This just in . . .

The military junta in Burma is beginning to feel the pressure. When asked about progress on the ongoing slaughter of unarmed innocents, it is getting antsy regarding progress on the friendly rivalry with the Thai military junta. The latter accounted for the murders of 90-100 Thai innocents in 2010, with the usual "disappearances" of numerous others.

Head junta honcho Generalissimo Min Aung Hlaing was quite defensive when asked about not yet equaling the standard set by the Thai military junta in 2010. "Look, I know my fellow tyrants in Thailand murdered more. But we're getting there."