ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Discussion of current events
Jim the Moron
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: ASEAN

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:37 pm

DavAdmin wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 pm
Thank's DaveAdmin for that briefing.

In the case of Thailand-Burma: I was not aware until I read your post how similar the internal power politics of the two were. However, you cannot deny one thing: Thailand is economically more mature and its people considerably more prosperous than the people of Burma. So at least ordinary Thais have gained something.

You may like to comment on that?
Thailand is economically more mature and the people have more but it is largely one giant credit bubble with household debts at record levels which is not the case in Myanmar. Additionally, the wealth gap is immense, one of the largest in the world where just a few families of oligarchs control the majority of the wealth and power in the country. They have the richest monarch on the planet that doesn't even reside there most of the time, preferring Germany.

The junta is eroding freedom in Thailand by emulating the Chinese state model of oppression, this will also happen in Burma and most other nations in the region as the red virus spreads.

Ah yes, Burma . . .

Rudyard Kipling's "Mandalay"
https://allpoetry.com/Mandalay"

"If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else." Yep.

And yes, the useless ASEAN. And by the way, a few days back on this thread, our esteemed neverfail erred in naming Kipling as the person who defined "The Malay Archipelago." Decades before Rudyard was producing his wonderful prose and poetry, Alfred Russel Wallace released his monumental 2-vol "The Malay Archipelago" - still a great read today. The "Wallace Line" was a traditional biogeographic concept up till today.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5122
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Post by Sertorio » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:45 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Casso,: Sertorio reminds me of those dupes in the West during the Depression years of the 1930's who became admirers of totalitarian government. While themseloves taking the freedoms and protection provided by rule of law of living in a Western democracy for granted quite a number became admirers of Adolf Hitler and advocates of similar for their own countries (like the British Fascist Oswald Mosley) while another crowd became admirers of Stalin and advocates of Communism. Why?

Because while the Western democracies were floundering amid economic ruin The USSR had full employment throughout (those not employed in the factories or on collective farms were "employed" as slave labour in the GULAG) while in Germany Hitler seemed to bring about full employment less than 18 months after seizing power.

(You know how it goes Cassowary? Because elected government in The West failed it its duty in maintaining full employment then that makes this regime bad: from which it follows that the alternative of totalitarian rule must be good. Dumb logic but plenty of ;) useless fools believed it!)

Presently, while the Western democracies now suffer a crisis of confidence they are still not (despite COVID) suffering from any cataclysm to match the 1930's one, yet that still does not some from rising to the bait of PRC and/or Russian propaganda.
I am a libertarian. But I guess you don't really know what that is...

User avatar
DavAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Re: ASEAN

Post by DavAdmin » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Though as a member of The New Place Admin staff your duty would probably be more to monitor the website than to contribute a viewpoint;
I will continue my duties as Admin then and refrain from any further commentary. Living extremely close to Burma does offer a little more insight into the situation, however.

User avatar
lzzrdgrrl
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:18 pm
Location: Okie Doke

Re: ASEAN

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:29 pm

DavAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Though as a member of The New Place Admin staff your duty would probably be more to monitor the website than to contribute a viewpoint;
I will continue my duties as Admin then and refrain from any further commentary. Living extremely close to Burma does offer a little more insight into the situation, however.
I think our New Place Admin should be free to express an opinion, especially an insight into an immediate and personal situation that the Admin is exposed to. We should be generous enough to grant that Admin can have a strong opinion on certain subjects and still be able to monitor the website in a fair and impartial manner. Let's elevate ourselves to a resilient and multivariant awareness.....'>.......
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail
Posts: 6861
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: ASEAN

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:43 pm

DavAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Though as a member of The New Place Admin staff your duty would probably be more to monitor the website than to contribute a viewpoint;
I will continue my duties as Admin then and refrain from any further commentary. Living extremely close to Burma does offer a little more insight into the situation, however.
( Probably chose my words badly.) No DavAdmin, I was not discouraging you from commenting which I was hoping you might do a little further - just acknowledging your part as moderator. Sorry!

neverfail
Posts: 6861
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: ASEAN

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Ah yes, Burma . . .

Rudyard Kipling's "Mandalay"
https://allpoetry.com/Mandalay"

"If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else." Yep.

And yes, the useless ASEAN. And by the way, a few days back on this thread, our esteemed neverfail erred in naming Kipling as the person who defined "The Malay Archipelago." Decades before Rudyard was producing his wonderful prose and poetry, Alfred Russel Wallace released his monumental 2-vol "The Malay Archipelago" - still a great read today. The "Wallace Line" was a traditional biogeographic concept up till today.
Thanks Jim - I stand corrected.

I may have attributed it to the wrong author yet the concept is still good.

I can see a real spiritual and cultural line between (Buddhist) continental south east Asia and Abrahamic-monotheist (Muslin and Christian) Archipellago Asia. That may yet mark the southern point of maximum expansion for the PRC pale of hegemony.

Jim the Moron
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: ASEAN

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:32 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:29 pm
DavAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Though as a member of The New Place Admin staff your duty would probably be more to monitor the website than to contribute a viewpoint;
I will continue my duties as Admin then and refrain from any further commentary. Living extremely close to Burma does offer a little more insight into the situation, however.
I think our New Place Admin should be free to express an opinion, especially an insight into an immediate and personal situation that the Admin is exposed to. We should be generous enough to grant that Admin can have a strong opinion on certain subjects and still be able to monitor the website in a fair and impartial manner. Let's elevate ourselves to a resilient and multivariant awareness.....'>.......

It's been over 10 years since I've set foot in SE Asia, though my wife and two sons visit from time-to-time, and we keep up with folks in Thailand (carefully . . .) via Skype. Therefore I have come to appreciate Adms occasional postings on recent goings-on in Laos and Thailand - since there is no one else there posting (unlike the old days). Just guessing . . . but I wonder if our Admin escaped Hua Hin in favor of Luang Prabang.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 4910
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Post by cassowary » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:43 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:45 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Casso,: Sertorio reminds me of those dupes in the West during the Depression years of the 1930's who became admirers of totalitarian government. While themseloves taking the freedoms and protection provided by rule of law of living in a Western democracy for granted quite a number became admirers of Adolf Hitler and advocates of similar for their own countries (like the British Fascist Oswald Mosley) while another crowd became admirers of Stalin and advocates of Communism. Why?

Because while the Western democracies were floundering amid economic ruin The USSR had full employment throughout (those not employed in the factories or on collective farms were "employed" as slave labour in the GULAG) while in Germany Hitler seemed to bring about full employment less than 18 months after seizing power.

(You know how it goes Cassowary? Because elected government in The West failed it its duty in maintaining full employment then that makes this regime bad: from which it follows that the alternative of totalitarian rule must be good. Dumb logic but plenty of ;) useless fools believed it!)

Presently, while the Western democracies now suffer a crisis of confidence they are still not (despite COVID) suffering from any cataclysm to match the 1930's one, yet that still does not some from rising to the bait of PRC and/or Russian propaganda.
I am a libertarian. But I guess you don't really know what that is...
You support China and Russia in your postings. How can you be a libertarian? Either you believe in what you say or you don't. If you don't, then it means you are lying - probably paid to do so. Is Milo correct that you work for IRA? If you believe in what you are saying, then your beliefs are based on faith and not on facts. You believe despite facts to the contrary and which you seem unable to refute.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5122
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: ASEAN

Post by Sertorio » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:58 am

DavAdmin wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Though as a member of The New Place Admin staff your duty would probably be more to monitor the website than to contribute a viewpoint;
I will continue my duties as Admin then and refrain from any further commentary. Living extremely close to Burma does offer a little more insight into the situation, however.
Your viewpoint is welcome, please do not stop offering it.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5122
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Post by Sertorio » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:04 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:43 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:45 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Casso,: Sertorio reminds me of those dupes in the West during the Depression years of the 1930's who became admirers of totalitarian government. While themseloves taking the freedoms and protection provided by rule of law of living in a Western democracy for granted quite a number became admirers of Adolf Hitler and advocates of similar for their own countries (like the British Fascist Oswald Mosley) while another crowd became admirers of Stalin and advocates of Communism. Why?

Because while the Western democracies were floundering amid economic ruin The USSR had full employment throughout (those not employed in the factories or on collective farms were "employed" as slave labour in the GULAG) while in Germany Hitler seemed to bring about full employment less than 18 months after seizing power.

(You know how it goes Cassowary? Because elected government in The West failed it its duty in maintaining full employment then that makes this regime bad: from which it follows that the alternative of totalitarian rule must be good. Dumb logic but plenty of ;) useless fools believed it!)

Presently, while the Western democracies now suffer a crisis of confidence they are still not (despite COVID) suffering from any cataclysm to match the 1930's one, yet that still does not some from rising to the bait of PRC and/or Russian propaganda.
I am a libertarian. But I guess you don't really know what that is...
You support China and Russia in your postings. How can you be a libertarian? Either you believe in what you say or you don't. If you don't, then it means you are lying - probably paid to do so. Is Milo correct that you work for IRA? If you believe in what you are saying, then your beliefs are based on faith and not on facts. You believe despite facts to the contrary and which you seem unable to refute.
It's not that I support Russia and China, I just refuse to indulge in mindless and systematic attacks on two countries which are no worse than most and are better than many. I try to be fair and objective, which is part of being a libertarian - a leftist libertarian. And I particularly like the fact that Russia and China are about to put an end to American aggressive imperialism. The world will be a lot better when they succeed.

Post Reply