Discussion of current events
DavAdmin
Site Admin

Re: ASEAN

Post by DavAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 pm
Thank's DaveAdmin for that briefing.

In the case of Thailand-Burma: I was not aware until I read your post how similar the internal power politics of the two were. However, you cannot deny one thing: Thailand is economically more mature and its people considerably more prosperous than the people of Burma. So at least ordinary Thais have gained something.

You may like to comment on that?
Thailand is economically more mature and the people have more but it is largely one giant credit bubble with household debts at record levels which is not the case in Myanmar. Additionally, the wealth gap is immense, one of the largest in the world where just a few families of oligarchs control the majority of the wealth and power in the country. They have the richest monarch on the planet that doesn't even reside there most of the time, preferring Germany.

The junta is eroding freedom in Thailand by emulating the Chinese state model of oppression, this will also happen in Burma and most other nations in the region as the red virus spreads.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:53 pm

DavAdmin wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm
neverfail wrote:

In the case of Thailand-Burma: I was not aware until I read your post how similar the internal power politics of the two were. However, you cannot deny one thing: Thailand is economically more mature and its people considerably more prosperous than the people of Burma. So at least ordinary Thais have gained something.

Thailand is economically more mature and the people have more but it is largely one giant credit bubble with household debts at record levels which is not the case in Myanmar. Additionally, the wealth gap is immense, one of the largest in the world where just a few families of oligarchs control the majority of the wealth and power in the country. They have the richest monarch on the planet that doesn't even reside there most of the time, preferring Germany.

The junta is eroding freedom in Thailand by emulating the China model of oppression, this will also happen in Burma and most other nations in the region.
Democratic rule is not natural to Asian peoples and it only seems to work in Japan.

DavAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DavAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:56 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:53 pm
Democratic rule is not natural to Asian peoples and it only seems to work in Japan.
Very true, many here even seem happy with dictatorship. The education system is a tool of brainwashing and oppression in many Asian nations where they're largely taught to be quiet and obey rather than question things and learn.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:53 pm

DavAdmin wrote:
neverfail wrote:

The junta is eroding freedom in Thailand by emulating the Chinese state model of oppression, this will also happen in Burma and most other nations in the region as the red virus spreads.

Thanks Dave.

Though as a member of The New Place Admin staff your duty would probably be more to monitor the website than to contribute a viewpoint; I would like to draw your attention to your above sentence that I have blued. Your observation here come across like an insight published repeatedly by poster Cassowary on this website. I have been inclined to dismiss his dire warnings as alarmist stuff by someone spiritially marooned back in the Cold War era but going by the above it seems that Casso may have been closer to the mark than I thought all along.

If you do not mind I would like to ask you: do you believe that the "red virus" will eventually stop short of the Malacca Strait or spread all of the way into the fartherist reaches of the Indonesian archipellago - bearing in mind that Malay culture has certain attributes (like that it is neither Buddhist nor Confucian) that may confer immunity?

cassowary

Re: ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Post by cassowary » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:33 am
Sertorio is always supporting the most evil governments. Reminds me of the time when western leftists supported Stalin.
If I supported evil governments, I would support both the US and the UK governments, which I don't!... :D
The evil governments are the governments of Russia and China.
The Imp :D

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 pm

Sertorio wrote:
DavAdmin wrote:
neverfail wrote:

The junta is eroding freedom in Thailand by emulating the China model of oppression, this will also happen in Burma and most other nations in the region.
It’s also working in South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia and Singapore.

Sertorio is just trying to justify the evil government of China 🇨🇳 whom he supports.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:23 pm

DavAdmin wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Actually Thailand’s income inequality is not as bad as the US or Singapore. The Gini index is 36 for Thailand and 41 for the US.

See this link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... e_equality

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Sertorio is just trying to justify the evil government of China 🇨🇳 whom he supports.
With a slight hesitation as far as South Korea is concerned, I wouldn't consider any of the other countries as being democratic. Compared to them Russia is almost a model democracy... :D

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:40 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 pm
Sertorio wrote:

With a slight hesitation as far as South Korea is concerned, I wouldn't consider any of the other countries as being democratic. Compared to them Russia is almost a model democracy... :D
That's where your fantasy collides with reality. See the Democracy Index.

As you can see, those abovementioned Asian countries are classifed as democracies, albeit flawed ones. Russia is one category below that - hybrid system. China is worse. It's classified as authoritarian. But you are not going to let facts get in the way of your "religion", right?

neverfail

Re: ASEAN to rescue Myanmar?

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm

Casso,: Sertorio reminds me of those dupes in the West during the Depression years of the 1930's who became admirers of totalitarian government. While themseloves taking the freedoms and protection provided by rule of law of living in a Western democracy for granted quite a number became admirers of Adolf Hitler and advocates of similar for their own countries (like the British Fascist Oswald Mosley) while another crowd became admirers of Stalin and advocates of Communism. Why?

Because while the Western democracies were floundering amid economic ruin The USSR had full employment throughout (those not employed in the factories or on collective farms were "employed" as slave labour in the GULAG) while in Germany Hitler seemed to bring about full employment less than 18 months after seizing power.

(You know how it goes Cassowary? Because elected government in The West failed it its duty in maintaining full employment then that makes this regime bad: from which it follows that the alternative of totalitarian rule must be good. Dumb logic but plenty of ;) useless fools believed it!)

Presently, while the Western democracies now suffer a crisis of confidence they are still not (despite COVID) suffering from any cataclysm to match the 1930's one, yet that still does not some from rising to the bait of PRC and/or Russian propaganda.