Middle Eastern Christians and Syria

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Middle Eastern Christians and Syria

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Middle East Council of Churches calls on new US President to lift sanctions on Syria

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/mi ... -on-syria/

BEIRUT, LEBANON (10:45 A.M.) – The Council of Eastern Churches and the heads of churches and religious authorities called on US President Joe Biden to “abolish the unilateral coercive measures imposed on the Syrian people, which increases their suffering.”

In a message to Biden on the occasion of his assumption to the presidency, the council and religious leaders said: “Once again, in defense of human rights and human dignity, the Middle East Council of Churches renews its call for the abolition of the economic sanctions imposed on the Syrian people, which are more and more carefully violating their right to live in dignity and threatening an unjust humanitarian disaster.”

The message called for “immediate action to abolish the economic sanctions that the Syrian people have been suffering under for years under difficult living conditions and economic, social and health crises that are exacerbated daily, especially with the coronavirus pandemic and its catastrophic repercussions”, referring in this regard to the report of Alina Dohan, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the matter.

The letter indicated that “Syria ten years ago was the food basket for the region, but today, due to the war and US coercive unilateral measures, the Syrian people are suffering greatly.”

The letter called on Washington to “stop using unilateral measures to achieve its interests at the expense of the people, especially through the unjust sanctions imposed on Syria.”
This will answer those who claim that Bashar al-Assad is heading a war of Sunnis against all other religions in Syria. The truth is that al-Assad has the support of Christians in his country, who see him as the only person who can bring peace to Syria. But, of course, the US will once more prefer war and killing to any peace efforts.

cassowary

Re: Middle Eastern Christians and Syria

Post by cassowary » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 pm

Sertorio,

Yes, the Christians are allies of Bashar Assad because they are a minority, like Assad's group - the Alawite shiites. The Shiites are already a minority and the Alawites are a minority of the Shiites. Minority of a minority. So Assad needs to treat the Christians well. That's why they support him.

Its complicated in the Mid East. But we know why you support Assad. Its simply because they are in Russia's camp. Why are you in Russia's camp? Its because they oppose the US, the victor of the Cold War.

This also puts me in a spot. I want to help my fellow Christians but at the same time, I don't want Putin to triumph.
The Imp :D