The fault lies with ourselves

Discussion of current events
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

The fault lies with ourselves

Post by cassowary » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Leftists blame America

This is what i have said before. When something goes wrong in our lives, we must ask ourselves, “What did I do wrong?”

The left blames everybody and everything else. I failed because of capitalism or racism or sexism. America is evil but they don’t recognise the evil in our own hearts that cause our own failures and misery.

Excerpt from link:
We were all taught that the most important battle we need to wage in life was with our own nature. Jews and Christians learned from the same Scripture that "the will of man's heart is evil from his youth" (Genesis 8:21).

Therefore, being a good person involved a constant battle with our flawed human nature: our urges, appetites and innate weaknesses. This battle was also the only real route to a better world.
He is absolutely correct. The route to a better world lies in individual improvement. Even Dr Goh Keng Swee, one of Singapore's Founders recognised this. He once suggested that the best way to develop a poor backwards country was to send in the (preferably Protestant) missionaries.

Another excerpt:
All of us, whatever our political outlook, have to confront personal failure, loss, disappointment and unhappiness. When confronted with these challenges, religious Jews and Christians are taught to look inward for both the primary source of their problems and the primary solutions to those problems: What have I done wrong? What can I change in my life to solve my problems?
In short, we have to accept the painful truth: When something goes wrong its usually our own fault. The Christian practice of confessing our sins is an useful exercise. It encourages us to examine our own faults and strive for improvements. This is probably one reason why Jonathan Gruber found that regular church goers enjoy higher income than non-church goers. This supports Max Weber's famous theory on Protestant ethics and the success of capitalism.
The left, which proudly rejects Judeo-Christian values, has adopted the opposite of the Judeo-Christian view regarding pain in life. Leftists (as opposed to liberals) hold outside forces responsible for their pain. That is the reason for the litany of left-wing enemies: capitalism, patriarchy, misogyny, systemic racism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, sexism, xenophobia.

So, then, if you are an unhappy American woman, you can work on yourself and your nature, or you can blame sexism and patriarchy, i.e., men, for your pained state.

If you are an unhappy gay American, you can work on yourself, or you can blame society's homophobia for your unhappiness.

And, most significantly, if you are an unhappy black American, you can work on yourself and your life, or you can blame systemic racism and whites for your anger and unfulfilled life.
The message to leftists out there is we all make mistakes. Admit the failure is yours and don't blame others. We all behave like bums sometimes.
Last edited by cassowary on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by Milo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm
Leftists blame America

This is what i have said before. When something goes wrong in our lives, we must ask ourselves, “What did I do wrong?”

The left blames everybody and everything else. I failed because of capitalism or racism or sexism. America is evil but they don’t recognise the evil in our own hearts that cause our own failures and misery.

Excerpt from link:
But they don't blame America, he says so himself.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by Sertorio » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 am

Cass,

Looking to religion to solve our problems is barking up the wrong tree. Contrarily to most species in our planet ours is a very young one, not much more than 200,000 years. We haven't yet learned to behave like a coherent group which can only solve its problems through cooperation. Rather than assisting each other, we exploit and kill each other. While most animals keep violence in their community to a minimum, we think that we can solve most problems through violence and the brutal imposition of the minority's will on the majority. Slowly some of us are starting to understand that tolerance, solidarity and cooperation are the way to overcome our problems, but far too many still prefer to behave like savages. But nothing of this can justify a religion. There is no power outside us which can help us overcome our faulty instincts. First of all because such power does not exist. All we have is our awareness of ourselves and of the world around us, and the will to look at us collectively, as a group which cannot afford a constant fight among ourselves. Hopefully we will develop a collective survival instinct which will lead to cooperation. We have the brains to understand this, but silly things like ideologies and religions keep preventing us from using fully our brains. If meanwhile we do not destroy the planet, we will eventually get there, but it will take yet a long time...

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 am
Cass,

Looking to religion to solve our problems is barking up the wrong tree. Contrarily to most species in our planet ours is a very young one, not much more than 200,000 years. We haven't yet learned to behave like a coherent group which can only solve its problems through cooperation. Rather than assisting each other, we exploit and kill each other. While most animals keep violence in their community to a minimum, we think that we can solve most problems through violence and the brutal imposition of the minority's will on the majority. Slowly some of us are starting to understand that tolerance, solidarity and cooperation are the way to overcome our problems, but far too many still prefer to behave like savages. But nothing of this can justify a religion. There is no power outside us which can help us overcome our faulty instincts. First of all because such power does not exist. All we have is our awareness of ourselves and of the world around us, and the will to look at us collectively, as a group which cannot afford a constant fight among ourselves. Hopefully we will develop a collective survival instinct which will lead to cooperation. We have the brains to understand this, but silly things like ideologies and religions keep preventing us from using fully our brains. If meanwhile we do not destroy the planet, we will eventually get there, but it will take yet a long time...

It's been some years since I've commented on this stuff. I'm agnostic, and I don't burden my mind with theological abstractions. But, Sertorio, I believe you are wrong. Most gentle folks I've encountered turned out to be religious, and positive influences for peace. Whether they were Christian, Jewish, or Buddhist - all the same. (I've had few interactions with Muslim or Hindu folks, but I'll bet the gentle folks among them are similar.)

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by Sertorio » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 am
Cass,

Looking to religion to solve our problems is barking up the wrong tree. Contrarily to most species in our planet ours is a very young one, not much more than 200,000 years. We haven't yet learned to behave like a coherent group which can only solve its problems through cooperation. Rather than assisting each other, we exploit and kill each other. While most animals keep violence in their community to a minimum, we think that we can solve most problems through violence and the brutal imposition of the minority's will on the majority. Slowly some of us are starting to understand that tolerance, solidarity and cooperation are the way to overcome our problems, but far too many still prefer to behave like savages. But nothing of this can justify a religion. There is no power outside us which can help us overcome our faulty instincts. First of all because such power does not exist. All we have is our awareness of ourselves and of the world around us, and the will to look at us collectively, as a group which cannot afford a constant fight among ourselves. Hopefully we will develop a collective survival instinct which will lead to cooperation. We have the brains to understand this, but silly things like ideologies and religions keep preventing us from using fully our brains. If meanwhile we do not destroy the planet, we will eventually get there, but it will take yet a long time...

It's been some years since I've commented on this stuff. I'm agnostic, and I don't burden my mind with theological abstractions. But, Sertorio, I believe you are wrong. Most gentle folks I've encountered turned out to be religious, and positive influences for peace. Whether they were Christian, Jewish, or Buddhist - all the same. (I've had few interactions with Muslim or Hindu folks, but I'll bet the gentle folks among them are similar.)
The fact that there are gentle people who are religious doesn't mean that their gentleness depends on their being religious, or that they wouldn't be gentle if they were agnostic. And, as you know, there are plenty examples of religious people who are very brutal...Difficult to link gentleness to religion...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by cassowary » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 am
Cass,

Looking to religion to solve our problems is barking up the wrong tree. Contrarily to most species in our planet ours is a very young one, not much more than 200,000 years. We haven't yet learned to behave like a coherent group which can only solve its problems through cooperation.
Aha. I detect a whiff of Marxist ideology here. It is by competition that produces wealth in a free market where goods and services are voluntarily exchange. Each exchanger pursues his own interests but the whole society benefits from it.
Rather than assisting each other, we exploit and kill each other.
Exploit? Yes, that's a Marxist concept too. No, Sertorio. The employer does not exploit his worker. Instead, each exchange something of value to the other voluntarily. How can that be exploitation?
While most animals keep violence in their community to a minimum, we think that we can solve most problems through violence and the brutal imposition of the minority's will on the majority.


Animals compete violently with each other. Wolves of one pack will fight and drive out another pack from rich hunting grounds. Monkeys patrol their territory and expel other troops of monkeys to preserve their food source. They are no different from us.
Slowly some of us are starting to understand that tolerance, solidarity and cooperation are the way to overcome our problems, but far too many still prefer to behave like savages.


Some of you remain deluded that Socialism can be made to work someday.
But nothing of this can justify a religion. There is no power outside us which can help us overcome our faulty instincts.First of all because such power does not exist.


It does not matter even if there is no God. (I believe there is one.) Statistics show that regular church goers enjoy higher incomes, have less substance abuse, lower crime, lower divorce rate and are happier. The Christian and probably other faiths (except Islam) are beneficial.
All we have is our awareness of ourselves and of the world around us, and the will to look at us collectively, as a group which cannot afford a constant fight among ourselves. Hopefully we will develop a collective survival instinct which will lead to cooperation.


All atttempts to develop Socialism have failed. Nearly 100 million people died because of your ideology[s/s] religion.
We have the brains to understand this, but silly things like ideologies and religions keep preventing us from using fully our brains. If meanwhile we do not destroy the planet, we will eventually get there, but it will take yet a long time...


Some people don't have the brains to realize that Socialism is against human nature and thus cannot work. But their faith in their ideology is stronger than their intelligence. It is a religion, albeit a godless one.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 4538
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by Doc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm
Leftists blame America

This is what i have said before. When something goes wrong in our lives, we must ask ourselves, “What did I do wrong?”

The left blames everybody and everything else. I failed because of capitalism or racism or sexism. America is evil but they don’t recognise the evil in our own hearts that cause our own failures and misery.

Excerpt from link:
We were all taught that the most important battle we need to wage in life was with our own nature. Jews and Christians learned from the same Scripture that "the will of man's heart is evil from his youth" (Genesis 8:21).

Therefore, being a good person involved a constant battle with our flawed human nature: our urges, appetites and innate weaknesses. This battle was also the only real route to a better world.
He is absolutely correct. The route to a better world lies in individual improvement. Even Dr Goh Keng Swee, one of Singapore's Founders recognised this. He once suggested that the best way to develop a poor backwards country was to send in the (preferably Protestant) missionaries.

Another excerpt:
All of us, whatever our political outlook, have to confront personal failure, loss, disappointment and unhappiness. When confronted with these challenges, religious Jews and Christians are taught to look inward for both the primary source of their problems and the primary solutions to those problems: What have I done wrong? What can I change in my life to solve my problems?
In short, we have to accept the painful truth: When something goes wrong its usually our own fault. The Christian practice of confessing our sins is an useful exercise. It encourages us to examine our own faults and strive for improvements. This is probably one reason why Jonathan Gruber found that regular church goers enjoy higher income than non-church goers. This supports Max Weber's famous theory on Protestant ethics and the success of capitalism.
The left, which proudly rejects Judeo-Christian values, has adopted the opposite of the Judeo-Christian view regarding pain in life. Leftists (as opposed to liberals) hold outside forces responsible for their pain. That is the reason for the litany of left-wing enemies: capitalism, patriarchy, misogyny, systemic racism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, sexism, xenophobia.

So, then, if you are an unhappy American woman, you can work on yourself and your nature, or you can blame sexism and patriarchy, i.e., men, for your pained state.

If you are an unhappy gay American, you can work on yourself, or you can blame society's homophobia for your unhappiness.

And, most significantly, if you are an unhappy black American, you can work on yourself and your life, or you can blame systemic racism and whites for your anger and unfulfilled life.
The message to leftists out there is we all make mistakes. Admit the failure is yours and don't blame others. We all behave like bums sometimes.
The English word "good" is derived from the word "god"

Otherwise most leftists are more like cult members. The main difference between them and the "1%" is whether or not they sit in the front rows where they are permitted to think and the cheap seat where they are permitted to scream their rage.

"SHOUT !! SHOUT !! SHOUT OUT HIS NAME !!!"

"DONALD TRUMP #*($^#(!!!

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by cassowary » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 am
Cass,

Looking to religion to solve our problems is barking up the wrong tree. Contrarily to most species in our planet ours is a very young one, not much more than 200,000 years. We haven't yet learned to behave like a coherent group which can only solve its problems through cooperation.
Aha. I detect a whiff of Marxist ideology here. It is by competition that produces wealth in a free market where goods and services are voluntarily exchange. Each exchanger pursues his own interests but the whole society benefits from it.
Rather than assisting each other, we exploit and kill each other.
Exploit? Yes, that's a Marxist concept too. No, Sertorio. The employer does not exploit his worker. Instead, each exchange something of value to the other voluntarily. How can that be exploitation?
While most animals keep violence in their community to a minimum, we think that we can solve most problems through violence and the brutal imposition of the minority's will on the majority.


Animals compete violently with each other. Wolves of one pack will fight and drive out another pack from rich hunting grounds. Monkeys patrol their territory and expel other troops of monkeys to preserve their food source. They are no different from us.
Slowly some of us are starting to understand that tolerance, solidarity and cooperation are the way to overcome our problems, but far too many still prefer to behave like savages.


Some of you remain deluded that Socialism can be made to work someday.
But nothing of this can justify a religion. There is no power outside us which can help us overcome our faulty instincts.First of all because such power does not exist.


It does not matter even if there is no God. (I believe there is one.) Statistics show that regular church goers enjoy higher incomes, have less substance abuse, lower crime, lower divorce rate and are happier. The Christian and probably other faiths (except Islam) are beneficial.
All we have is our awareness of ourselves and of the world around us, and the will to look at us collectively, as a group which cannot afford a constant fight among ourselves. Hopefully we will develop a collective survival instinct which will lead to cooperation.


All atttempts to develop Socialism have failed. Nearly 100 million people died because of your ideology religion.
We have the brains to understand this, but silly things like ideologies and religions keep preventing us from using fully our brains. If meanwhile we do not destroy the planet, we will eventually get there, but it will take yet a long time...
Some people don't have the brains to realize that Socialism is against human nature and thus cannot work. But their faith in their ideology is stronger than their intelligence. It is a religion, albeit a godless one.
Redo to correct error discovered after edit period was over.
The Imp :D

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by cassowary » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm
Leftists blame America

This is what i have said before. When something goes wrong in our lives, we must ask ourselves, “What did I do wrong?”

The left blames everybody and everything else. I failed because of capitalism or racism or sexism. America is evil but they don’t recognise the evil in our own hearts that cause our own failures and misery.

Excerpt from link:
We were all taught that the most important battle we need to wage in life was with our own nature. Jews and Christians learned from the same Scripture that "the will of man's heart is evil from his youth" (Genesis 8:21).

Therefore, being a good person involved a constant battle with our flawed human nature: our urges, appetites and innate weaknesses. This battle was also the only real route to a better world.
He is absolutely correct. The route to a better world lies in individual improvement. Even Dr Goh Keng Swee, one of Singapore's Founders recognised this. He once suggested that the best way to develop a poor backwards country was to send in the (preferably Protestant) missionaries.

Another excerpt:
All of us, whatever our political outlook, have to confront personal failure, loss, disappointment and unhappiness. When confronted with these challenges, religious Jews and Christians are taught to look inward for both the primary source of their problems and the primary solutions to those problems: What have I done wrong? What can I change in my life to solve my problems?
In short, we have to accept the painful truth: When something goes wrong its usually our own fault. The Christian practice of confessing our sins is an useful exercise. It encourages us to examine our own faults and strive for improvements. This is probably one reason why Jonathan Gruber found that regular church goers enjoy higher income than non-church goers. This supports Max Weber's famous theory on Protestant ethics and the success of capitalism.
The left, which proudly rejects Judeo-Christian values, has adopted the opposite of the Judeo-Christian view regarding pain in life. Leftists (as opposed to liberals) hold outside forces responsible for their pain. That is the reason for the litany of left-wing enemies: capitalism, patriarchy, misogyny, systemic racism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, sexism, xenophobia.

So, then, if you are an unhappy American woman, you can work on yourself and your nature, or you can blame sexism and patriarchy, i.e., men, for your pained state.

If you are an unhappy gay American, you can work on yourself, or you can blame society's homophobia for your unhappiness.

And, most significantly, if you are an unhappy black American, you can work on yourself and your life, or you can blame systemic racism and whites for your anger and unfulfilled life.
The message to leftists out there is we all make mistakes. Admit the failure is yours and don't blame others. We all behave like bums sometimes.
The English word "good" is derived from the word "god"

Otherwise most leftists are more like cult members. The main difference between them and the "1%" is whether or not they sit in the front rows where they are permitted to think and the cheap seat where they are permitted to scream their rage.

"SHOUT !! SHOUT !! SHOUT OUT HIS NAME !!!"

"DONALD TRUMP #*($^#(!!!

What is that movie about?
The Imp :D

User avatar
lzzrdgrrl
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:18 pm
Location: Okie Doke

Re: The fault lies with ourselves

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Turn it up a notch.....'>......

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Post Reply