Trump blames "poor forest management" - presumably to deflect responsibility from himself - typical!

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Trump blames "poor forest management" - presumably to deflect responsibility from himself - typical!

Post by neverfail » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:39 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-visi ... 9-14-2020/

I know from the higher frequency of bushfires in recent years out here in Australia - they begin earlier in the season and burn more widespread and fiercely than before - that there is a pattern of historically unprecedented global warming underway that is likewise disaffecting the forest cover of the USA's three pacific coastaal states. Seperating the two is the entire width of the Pacific Ocean - which means the two regions are half a world distant from one another.

Trump's brush-off seems to be that dried out logs not removed from the forest floor catch fire and that is the problem. Is trump acquainted with the sheer impossibility of that in relation to the entent of the forest cover in relation to the inadequate human resources employed in forest management.

Why cannot this opiniated twerp Trump accept the best scientific advice that global warming is for real instead of relying on his own ego-driven ignorence for guidance?

Sertorio

Re: Trump blames "poor forest management" - presumably to deflect responsibility from himself - typical!

Post by Sertorio » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:10 am

Of course poor forest management makes the problem worse. We have seen it happening in Portugal. But even with good forest management we would have larger fires because of the climate changes.

cassowary

Re: Trump blames "poor forest management" - presumably to deflect responsibility from himself - typical!

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:55 am

Well according to historical record, California is a dry place most of the time. The previous wet spell was not normal. So yes, climate changes even before the industrial revolution.
The Imp :D

cassowary

From Steve Milloy's website Junk Science

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:59 am

According to Steve Milloy, who cited a study done by E R Cook who published a study in 2004, droughts have been part of the American west long before the industrial revolution.

He blames environmentalists who oppose control burns and logging to prevent large scale fires like this one.

I am not a scientist. So I can't tell if E R Cook's study is correct. But if he is, it means that dry season could be here for the next 200 years. So how do we stop fires like this one? Selective logging and controlled burns will prevent large scale fires. But the greenies oppose this.

neverfail

Re: From Steve Milloy's website Junk Science

Post by neverfail » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:59 am

He blames environmentalists who oppose control burns and logging to prevent large scale fires like this one.

I am not a scientist. So I can't tell if E R Cook's study is correct. But if he is, it means that dry season could be here for the next 200 years. So how do we stop fires like this one? Selective logging and controlled burns will prevent large scale fires. But the greenies oppose this.
Even when we were in California 2 years ago locals mentioned how their state had been enduring a drought for years already - and with grass on the hillsides even in the hinterland of San Francisco ( climatically cooler and wetter than around LA) visib;y coloured straw yellow instead of green that was easy to believe.

Yes, for years we have had ill informed greenies (the sort who turn the natural environment into an untouchable sacred cow) opposing controlled burns - but after our bushfires cisis last (southern hemisphere) summer these are now being overruled.

Then aboriginals used to conduct regualr burnoffs as a routine part of their old, pre-European contact hunter-food gatherer way of life. Groups of them, who have mainly done nothing of the sort for generations are now politically lobbying for jobs in environmental management apparently as hereditary occupations for themselves. :)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:50 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 am
cassowary wrote:

Even when we were in California 2 years ago locals mentioned how their state had been enduring a drought for years already - and with grass on the hillsides even in the hinterland of San Francisco ( climatically cooler and wetter than around LA) visib;y coloured straw yellow instead of green that was easy to believe.

Yes, for years we have had ill informed greenies (the sort who turn the natural environment into an untouchable sacred cow) opposing controlled burns - but after our bushfires cisis last (southern hemisphere) summer these are now being overruled.

Then aboriginals used to conduct regualr burnoffs as a routine part of their old, pre-European contact hunter-food gatherer way of life. Groups of them, who have mainly done nothing of the sort for generations are now politically lobbying for jobs in environmental management apparently as hereditary occupations for themselves. :)
Oh good for your abos. I am happy for them.

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am

cassowary wrote:

According to Steve Milloy, who cited a study done by E R Cook who published a study in 2004, droughts have been part of the American west long before the industrial revolution.

People got mercury poisoning for centuries before the industrial revolution, so why not dump it in the water supply?