Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Scots Wha Hae

Post by Sertorio » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:53 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 pm
"Why opponents of Scottish independence must confront the Union's flaws"

https://newstatesman.com/politics/scotl ... on-s-flaws

"It's the lack of a positive alternative - either from the rest of the UK, or from within Scotland - that is leading many to conclude that independence is the only way forward."
Maybe they are right to think so. And since it's their country, they can do with it whatever they wish...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 am

It’s mostly emotional on the part of the Scots to leave the Union just as it was for the English to leave the EU.

The Scots have been receiving subsidies from the richer English. I don’t think the EU will be so generous. I think they just want to take revenge for their defeat at the battle of Culloden. Maybe banks will relocate from London to Edinburgh.
The Imp :D

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 am

Fair enough, cass. But do you have a specific answer to the quoted statement in the link:

"It's the lack of a positive alternative - either from the rest of the UK, or from within Scotland - that is leading many to conclude that independence is the only way forward."

i.e what's the solution to "the Union's flaws" that will assuage Scottish concerns?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:28 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 am
Fair enough, cass. But do you have a specific answer to the quoted statement in the link:

i.e what's the solution to "the Union's flaws" that will assuage Scottish concerns?
I have no pat solution on offer Jim. I am grateful that the conundrum is not mine to solve.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 am

The chief flaw is that the Scots don’t like to be in the same country with the English. They still remember their defeats at Flodden Hill, Culloden, Neville ‘s Cross, the brutal suppression of the Jacobites by “butcher Cumberland”, and proudly recall their great victory at Bannockburn.

No matter what benefits being part of the UK bring, it won’t be enough to satisfy the Scots.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm
No matter what benefits being part of the UK bring, it won’t be enough to satisfy the Scots.
Well, France and Germany have had a number of bruising conflict encounters of much more recent memory yet seem content to coexist together within the same EU pact.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm
cassowary wrote:
Well, France and Germany have had a number of bruising conflict encounters of much more recent memory yet seem content to coexist together within the same EU pact.
The EU is being built by its member states, it's not being imposed by one party on the others...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm
cassowary wrote:
That’s true and that’s why they try to coexist. Memories of two devastating world wars push them together to say, “Never again.”