"Scotland: Support for independence surges"
https://dw.com/en/scotland-support-for- ... whatfinger

"Now's the day, and now's the hour"
https://poetryfoundation.org/poems/43813/scots-wha-hae

neverfail

Re: Scots Wha Hae

Post by neverfail » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Poor Scotland!

They now want to vote to seperate from the country whose taxpayers have been providing those government subsidies that have been keeping Scotland's regional economy (barely) alive for decades.

Soverign independence does not mean much when the national economy is insolvent.

Boris Johnson comes across as more of an English nationalist than a UK Unionist. He would likely be content to see Scotland go piss off somewhere else.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:32 pm

This sort of movement is more like a designer label than a protest sign.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm
Poor Scotland!

They now want to vote to seperate from the country whose taxpayers have been providing those government subsidies that have been keeping Scotland's regional economy (barely) alive for decades.

Soverign independence does not mean much when the national economy is insolvent.

Boris Johnson comes across as more of an English nationalist than a UK Unionist. He would likely be content to see Scotland go piss off somewhere else.
If that was a valid argument, half the countries in the world wouldn't be independent and would still be colonies... But of course, when money is the only value one knows...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:47 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm
Poor Scotland!

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 pm
If that was a valid argument, half the countries in the world wouldn't be independent and would still be colonies...
Exactly - and in most cases would likely enjoy better government, improved fiscal solvency, as a consequence. Face up to it; half the countries on this earth do not DESERVE soverign independence.
....................................................................................................................................

Beginning with the British granting of independence to Ghana in 1957 and viewing from afar the successive granting of soverign independence by the UK to the rest of their empire in Africa; I recall my father remarking :what is the use of giving them independence when they do not know how to govern themselves properly? My dad like many of his generation may have had a streak of the white paternalist about him yet I believe that he had a point.

My father had served as a soldier serving in New Guinea at a time when most of the native populace were barely one step out of the stone age (and those who were not were still living entirely in it). It allowed him to sum up by direct observation how utterly hopeless it would be for these to govern their own affairs unassisted. My father's pessimism proved prophetic. Under pressure from the United Nations decolonisati0n committee Australia somewhat reluctantly granted Papua-Nuigini independence in 1975 and since then in has degenerated from being one of the most honestly administered countries in the world into one of the most corruptly governed.

Further, it has only been lavish amounts of aid money donated by Australian governments over the past half a century as subsidies to their national budget that has permitted this country to avoid utter economic collapse. So what the heck?

Enough said. The average New Guinea native would have been better off today had this former Australian trust territory and colony remained under Australian administration.

But of course, when money is the only value one knows...
No Sertorio. If you are uncaring about the state of the economy it will inevitably come back and bite you on the bum.