How the Democrats set up Puerto Rico for disaster

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 am

We’ve seen this show before.

When there’s a national disaster, neighborhoods have been reduced to rubble, shelters are filled with crying families, and a Republican is in the White House, the Democrats jump into action.

Not to help, but to make political capital from a disaster that they helped cause.

After Hurricane Katrina, the media shrieked that survivors inside the New Orleans Superdome were murdering each other. But there actually wasn’t a single murder in the Superdome. And no, NBC’s Brian Williams, never saw any corpses floating past the Ritz-Carlton. The media exaggerated and lied.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was all over the news shouting, “Get off your asses” and accusing the Bush administration of “spinning” while “people are dying”. The dirty Democrat demanded more resources while claiming that everything that the Federal government was doing wasn’t good enough. He called for Greyhound buses, when there were plenty of school buses in New Orleans that weren’t being used.

Much of the disaster was actually Nagin’s fault. And Ray Nagin has been convicted of his crimes.

Puerto Rico is the new New Orleans. San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz is the new Nagin.

While media types claim that there’s a cholera outbreak in Puerto Rico (there isn’t), Yulin Cruz hops from CNN to MSNBC to accuse, demand aid, taunt Trump and throw around claims of “genocide”.

There has been no shortage of Federal aid to Puerto Rico. There are tons of supplies sitting and rotting. There are 10,000 shipping containers in a San Juan port alone. The dysfunctional local authorities were having trouble finding the drivers to deliver them.

The Governor of Puerto Rico has said that he doesn’t need more supplies. He needs drivers. And, currently, only 20% of the truck drivers are reporting for work. Meanwhile fuel trucks can’t travel because of a curfew.

Is that Trump’s fault?

Local relief is the job of local authorities. It is not President Trump’s job to dispatch truck drivers to Puerto Rico. The White House has, by the admission of local authorities, filled every aid request. According to FEMA, 11,800 Federal personnel are on the ground in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. FEMA personnel have helped 843 people and entered thousands of buildings.

But Mayor Yulin Cruz keeps singing from Nagin’s old hymnal about old people being trapped and massive death tolls. But where are the 1,500 employees of San Juan’s police department? Why can’t San Juan find municipal employees who can drive a truck or evacuate the elderly?

Yulin Cruz found the time to appear on every single cable news program, but has yet to visit a FEMA center. She poses against a backdrop of massive amounts of aid, which the local authorities can’t seem to distribute, but they did find the time to print out a “We are all dying” t-shirt for her to wear while chatting with Anderson Cooper on CNN.

Cruz is a member of the Partido Popular Democratico which is affiliated with the Democrats.

Despite being exposed to plenty of storms, Puerto Rico was obviously unprepared for the disaster, in all the ways that count, like having a Plan B for when the cell towers stop working. Like New Orleans, much of which is below sea level, the authorities had no viable plan to deal with an inevitable disaster. The PPD had one agenda. And that agenda was fighting “austerity”, not preparing for the day when the lights go out.

Milo

Re: How the Democrats set up Puerto Rico for disaster

Post by Milo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Another polemic that Cass thinks is an essay.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, it makes you wonder where these turkeys get the bare faced cheek from to try and score political points from out of a natural catastrophe. It also moves me to wonder what is in it for them?

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:12 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:59 pm
Yes, it makes you wonder where these turkeys get the bare faced cheek from to try and score political points from out of a natural catastrophe. It also moves me to wonder what is in it for them?
Money and power.
They take advantage of all fools that are willing; Chicago's blacks, Baltimore's poor, Philadelphia's blacks etc etc etc.
There is no shortage of victims for Democrats to play to.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:47 am

dagbay wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:12 pm
neverfail wrote:
Money and power.
They take advantage of all fools that are willing; Chicago's blacks, Baltimore's poor, Philadelphia's blacks etc etc etc.
Oh ***k! I suppose that the Democrats are also to blame for all of the devastation wrecked by the same hurricane on Dominica and other adjacent Caribbean islands as well - where they do not even have parties in government affiliated with the US Democrats?

This is what pisses me off to the point where I lose my inhibition against giving vent to foul language online. The devastation was on such an overpowering scale that it was/is beyond their meager resources of small, crowded islands like those to cope with the disaster. Puerto Rico needs outside help and just as Dominica and other disaffected Commonwealth Antilles Islands are receiving help from the UK and the French West Indies from France; as a commonwealth associate of the USA it is only fair and reasonable for Puerto Rico to expect unequivocal help from the US in this time of need without some grubby little turd-politician attempting to heap blame on his political opponents.

Just because Trump wants to show up his mean spirited side by pointing the accusing finger at The Democrats over the alleged lack of hurricane preparedness on the island does not place you, along with other posters in this discussion, under some kind of moral obligation to turn yourselves into mindless megaphones amplifying this man's inane message.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:56 am

dagbay wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Money and power.
That's how the Democrats get the black votes. By posing as their champions when they are actually the main cause for Black poverty.

They oppressed the blacks, before, when they were the slaveowners. Now they the slaveowners learn to keep them in the plantation by pretending to be the abolitionists.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:56 am
dagbay wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Money and power.
That's how the Democrats get the black votes. By posing as their champions when they are actually the main cause for Black poverty.

They oppressed the blacks, before, when they were the slaveowners. Now they the slaveowners learn to keep them in the plantation by pretending to be the abolitionists.
That explanation disregards the relationship between Republicans and (sometimes overt) white supremacists during the last fifty years, and without that there's no way to understand why black Americans feel little alternative to the party that at least pays them lip service.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 am

Till Trump came along, I have not come across accusations that the Republicans are associated with white supremacists. (And even in Trump's case, I don't believe it.) That was at least in the past a Democrat thing. The last KKK member in the Senate that I know of was Robert Byrd, a Democrat who was still around as recent as 2010.

I believe that Trump's school choice policy will help the Black community but the Democrats oppose it. A white supremacist will not want to do this.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 am

Ike others before the Democrats somehow managed to take ownership of saving the Blacks and the poor although it was republicans who fought for black equal rights and Republican who through capitalism brought prosperity to America and many corners of the world. Democrats were able to blame Republicans for their own failures with inner cities and bankrupt cities and states. Till Trump republicans were losing on both sides. Trump fights back sometimes too much and may turn the tables on the Democrats for good.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 am
Till Trump came along, I have not come across accusations that the Republicans are associated with white supremacists. (And even in Trump's case, I don't believe it.) That was at least in the past a Democrat thing. The last KKK member in the Senate that I know of was Robert Byrd, a Democrat who was still around as recent as 2010.
Apparently you've never heard either of the "Southern strategy" or of David Duke.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac