cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:55 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 am
EllenS wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:07 am
Who said Trump doesn't deserve to win the election? I think he does. And right now, I am betting he will win.
Good news, EllenS. The latest poll shows Trump leading Biden.
In the latest monthly Democracy Institute (DI)/Sunday Express poll President Trump has 48 per cent of the popular support over the former vice president's 45 per cent. In the key swing states the gap is even bigger, with 49 per cent for Trump to 42 per cent for Biden giving the President a seven-point lead. The DI polls have consistently shown more positive results for the President than other surveys. While most suggest a Democrat lead, the monthly DI polls have been more favourable to Trump.
I think Trump will win. The Democratic Party has gone too far left.
Yes, its candidate is a gun owning prolifer who is against legalizing pot!
Biden, a pro-lifer?! Maybe the Old, old Biden as in the 1970s. But he has flipped on the Hyde Amendment.

Biden is now pro-choice.
And Trump flipped the other way:

It's almost like both of them just say whatever to get elected...
All politicians have to do that. But Trump's earlier views on abortion were when he was not a politician. In Biden's case, he was then a politician. So that means that Biden has abandoned his working class Catholic voters who supported him before. It's good for them to know that.

Trump of course, betrayed nobody when he reversed his earlier stand on abortion.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Re: Biden-Harris China policy = more of the same but with better manners?

Post by neverfail » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 pm
cassowary wrote:
Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:
EllenS wrote:
Who said Trump doesn't deserve to win the election? I think he does. And right now, I am betting he will win.
In the latest monthly Democracy Institute (DI)/Sunday Express poll President Trump has 48 per cent of the popular support over the former vice president's 45 per cent. In the key swing states the gap is even bigger, with 49 per cent for Trump to 42 per cent for Biden giving the President a seven-point lead. The DI polls have consistently shown more positive results for the President than other surveys. While most suggest a Democrat lead, the monthly DI polls have been more favourable to Trump.
Biden, a pro-lifer?! Maybe the Old, old Biden as in the 1970s. But he has flipped on the Hyde Amendment.

Biden is now pro-choice.

................................................................................................................................................

Compared to other issues I can think of: whether Biden is pro-choice or pro-life; for or against legalised pot is rather trivial stuff. What concerns me more are foreign policy and international trade issues - most of all, what is Biden's China policy?
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/biden ... -on-china/

Biden–Harris win could bring US foreign policy reset—but not on China

But a change in Washington would not offer any respite for one county: China.

A Biden–Harris administration would likely continue with Trump’s tough-on-China policies, even if the tenor and tone improve.

Biden and Harris are both foreign policy traditionalists from the Democratic Party’s mainstream centre-left, and both are strong internationalists more likely to build multinational alliances against the perceived threat from a resurgent and belligerent China. A Biden–Harris administration would be tough on trade imbalances. They would seek to hold Beijing to account for its spying, its interference in American elections and its human rights abuses, while at the same time keeping the dialogue between the superpowers from degenerating into name-calling and angry tweets.

This was largely the consensus from China experts on a recent panel I moderated at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Hong Kong, as well as from other China watchers and experts. ‘The assessment of the challenges that China poses to America and the world would be the same’, said Bonnie Glaser of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. But, she added, China ‘would not be seen as an existential threat’.

Lingling Wei, a Wall Street Journal China correspondent and co-author of a new book called Superpower showdown: how the battle between Trump and Xi threatens a new cold war, agreed. ‘If Biden is president, the tone will be better.’

One of the reasons for the likely continuity in China policy is Americans’ growing negative perception of China and its leader, Chinese Communist Party General Secretary Xi Jinping. A recent survey at the end of July by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center found that 73% of Americans had an unfavourable view of China, and 77% had little or no confidence in Xi to do the right thing.

Those assessments were largely driven by negative views of China’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, with 78% blaming China’s initial mishandling of the virus for causing a global pandemic. More Americans now see China as a competitor, not a partner.

The souring of American views on China is new, though it predates the coronavirus. As recently as 2011, during President Barack Obama’s first term, a majority of Americans had a positive view of China. But that began to change as more Americans began to see China as an economic threat and a military challenge.

One thing that has changed is the attitude of the American business community, which for years provided both the ballast and the jet fuel propelling Sino-American relations. Whenever relations went bad between Washington and Beijing, American businesses could always be counted on to soothe the tensions, particularly with their Republican allies in the US Congress.

No longer. In recent years, American business has increasingly cooled towards China, particularly under Xi. China has repeatedly reneged on promises to liberalise its controlled economy and open it up to more foreign competition. US firms continue to feel disadvantaged, forced to share their technology and blocked entirely from key sectors. And Beijing became more aggressive, raiding the headquarters of foreign companies ostensibly for tax reasons.

An American businessman friend of mine, who has been working in China for three decades, was recently haranguing me about how awful Trump was as president, from his racism and divisiveness to his denigration of longtime foreign allies. Then he paused, looked over his shoulder around the crowded bar and whispered, ‘But I love what Trump is doing to China!’
Regardless of any private posative feelings Biden might once have had towards China, he and Harris are now caught up in a political cleft stick that makes it certain that in government they will be as tpugh on the PRC as Trump has been.

The one omission from the above (Australian foreign policy) overview of Biden foreign policy direction is that Russia is not mentioned. Any proposed policy change there, I wonder?

cassowary

Re: US November Elections

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:07 am

Biden should do what Trump has tried to doing - form an alliance with Russia to counter Russia.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:51 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:07 am
Biden should do what Trump has tried to doing - form an alliance with Russia to counter Russia.
:shock: You have flipped...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:51 am
cassowary wrote:
And you don’t know anything about international relationships. Lord Palmerston said, “There are no permanent friends or enemies, only permanent interests.”

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:23 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
And you don’t know anything about international relationships. Lord Palmerston said, “There are no permanent friends or enemies, only permanent interests.”
Cass, remember who you are talking to.

Remember Waxwing? Albatroz/Sertorio is a marxist version of her...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:16 am

armchair_pundit wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:23 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

If you knew anything about Marx you would know I am no Marxist... But I guess you like labels...

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:54 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 pm
Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:
EllenS wrote:

Biden is now pro-choice.

All politicians have to do that. But Trump's earlier views on abortion were when he was not a politician. In Biden's case, he was then a politician. So that means that Biden has abandoned his working class Catholic voters who supported him before. It's good for them to know that.

Trump of course, betrayed nobody when he reversed his earlier stand on abortion.
Most Roman Catholics are pro choice.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:54 am
cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 pm
Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Biden is now pro-choice.

Most Roman Catholics are pro choice.
Yes, that is true. But most Politicians are pro themselves. So their ambition comes first. Biden is a politician first and Catholic second, if at all.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:26 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:23 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

The only thing I remember of waxwing was that he was a fruitcake. He was as batty as a ... bat.