US November Elections

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: US November Elections

Post by Sertorio » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:22 am

EllenS wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 am
It looks like Trump's ratings are steadily going up. The RealClearPolitics polling averages show Biden ahead by only 2.7 points in the tossup states. He's really losing steam.

What will the Democratic Party leadership do if Trump wins twice? Will they do the honorable thing and commit hari-kari? Will the party take a hard turn to the left? They've lost their centrist or conservative constituency, so what choice do they have but to double down on radicalism and race-mongering.
In view of who the candidates are, I notice that the world at large couldn't care less about who wins and how. Any one of them will be unable to stop America's decadence and increasing irrelevance. And anyway, unless Europe and Russia get together the next one hundred years are bound to be Chinese...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:29 am

EllenS wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 am
It looks like Trump's ratings are steadily going up. The RealClearPolitics polling averages show Biden ahead by only 2.7 points in the tossup states. He's really losing steam.
I am nonplussed that a person apparently as reflectively intelligent as yourself could allow herself to be hoodwinked by probably the most unconscionable liar who has ever occupied the oval office.

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:49 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:58 pm
EllenS wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:09 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:22 am
Real Clear Politics still has Biden ahead by over 7%: an average of the major polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6247.html#!
Yes, but Milo remember what matters is the electoral college. And the electoral college will be decided by 10 tossup states.
The electoral college = a constitutionally sanctioned gerrymander the US should have rid itself of a long time ago.
I can think of an example of a British type parliament when a party won the popular vote but lost the election. It can happen in Australia too.

It happens in Canada too. The Conservatives won the popular vote in the last election.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Apollonius wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:49 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:58 pm
EllenS wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:09 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:22 am
Real Clear Politics still has Biden ahead by over 7%: an average of the major polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6247.html#!
Yes, but Milo remember what matters is the electoral college. And the electoral college will be decided by 10 tossup states.
The electoral college = a constitutionally sanctioned gerrymander the US should have rid itself of a long time ago.
I can think of an example of a British type parliament when a party won the popular vote but lost the election. It can happen in Australia too.

It happens in Canada too. The Conservatives won the popular vote in the last election.
No, a plurality is not winning.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:37 am

EllenS wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 am

People who promote violence and anarchy do not deserve to win elections.
So, if neither Biden nor Trump deserve winning the election, who does?...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 am

EllenS wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:07 am
Who said Trump doesn't deserve to win the election? I think he does. And right now, I am betting he will win.
Good news, EllenS. The latest poll shows Trump leading Biden.
In the latest monthly Democracy Institute (DI)/Sunday Express poll President Trump has 48 per cent of the popular support over the former vice president's 45 per cent. In the key swing states the gap is even bigger, with 49 per cent for Trump to 42 per cent for Biden giving the President a seven-point lead. The DI polls have consistently shown more positive results for the President than other surveys. While most suggest a Democrat lead, the monthly DI polls have been more favourable to Trump.
I think Trump will win. The Democratic Party has gone too far left.
The Imp :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 am
EllenS wrote:
Who said Trump doesn't deserve to win the election? I think he does. And right now, I am betting he will win.
In the latest monthly Democracy Institute (DI)/Sunday Express poll President Trump has 48 per cent of the popular support over the former vice president's 45 per cent. In the key swing states the gap is even bigger, with 49 per cent for Trump to 42 per cent for Biden giving the President a seven-point lead. The DI polls have consistently shown more positive results for the President than other surveys. While most suggest a Democrat lead, the monthly DI polls have been more favourable to Trump.
Yes, its candidate is a gun owning prolifer who is against legalizing pot!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:30 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Somehow, regardless of whether he purported to be pro life or pro-choice, I would not relish the prospect of having to confront a trigger-happy American gun owner who is high on pot.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:55 pm

Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:
EllenS wrote:
Biden, a pro-lifer?! Maybe the Old, old Biden as in the 1970s. But he has flipped on the Hyde Amendment.

Biden is now pro-choice.
The Imp :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:55 pm
Milo wrote:
cassowary wrote:
EllenS wrote:
Biden, a pro-lifer?! Maybe the Old, old Biden as in the 1970s. But he has flipped on the Hyde Amendment.

Biden is now pro-choice.
And Trump flipped the other way:

It's almost like both of them just say whatever to get elected...