America's nightmare,

Discussion of current events
neverfail

America's nightmare,

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm

Trump has led the US into an economic crisis that could leave scars

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the- ... 55h7r.html

Paul Krugman, the author of this opinion piece from the N Y Times is scorned by some as being left wing. Well, I know not how true or false the accusation is but if true then from the tone and content of this essay it seems that being of left wing persuasion in the USA empowers you with clarity of thought and the courage to speak the truth.

As for me: I have no ideological "angle" to push. I just value the truth (whenever I come across it).

Sertorio

Re: America's nightmare,

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:12 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm

Paul Krugman, the author of this opinion piece from the N Y Times is scorned by some as being left wing. Well, I know not how true or false the accusation is but if true then from the tone and content of this essay it seems that being of left wing persuasion in the USA empowers you with clarity of thought and the courage to speak the truth.

As for me: I have no ideological "angle" to push. I just value the truth (whenever I come across it).
The most terrible thing is not that Trump is incompetent. The tragedy is that most Americans are not competent to run their country through the democratic process. The majority of Americans is not educated enough, is not smart enough, is not skilled enough to be able to choose between good and bad policies, and therefore they are unable to vote for politicians capable of tackling the major problems of the country. The same could be said of many other countries, but those other countries seem to be lucky enough to have elites capable of making the right choices. The American "elite" is not intellectual, it is plutocratic, and therefore it only chooses what they think is profitable for them.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:12 am
neverfail wrote:

The most terrible thing is not that Trump is incompetent. The tragedy is that most Americans are not competent to run their country through the democratic process. The majority of Americans is not educated enough, is not smart enough, is not skilled enough to be able to choose between good and bad policies, and therefore they are unable to vote for politicians capable of tackling the major problems of the country. The same could be said of many other countries, but those other countries seem to be lucky enough to have elites capable of making the right choices. The American "elite" is not intellectual, it is plutocratic, and therefore it only chooses what they think is profitable for them.
And that is why America is the most successful country in history. Funny how those "elites" of yours can't come up with the goods.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:59 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:12 am
neverfail wrote:

And that is why America is the most successful country in history. Funny how those "elites" of yours can't come up with the goods.
"Successful" until something happens which cannot be solved by money alone. As is the case with the Covid 19...