"Chinee man speak with forked tongue."

Discussion of current events
neverfail

"Chinee man speak with forked tongue."

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 am

https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/china-bid ... ilippines/

China bids to win back the Philippines.

In the whole of this Asia Times article I saw not even the hint of a statement from any representative of the PRC government recognising the Scarborough reefs and shoals as part of Philippines soverignty.

If Duterte, the Philippines president, accepts anything less from his Chinese counterpart then he is either a fool or a traitor.

Sertorio

Re: "Chinee man speak with forked tongue."

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:31 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 am

In the whole of this Asia Times article I saw not even the hint of a statement from any representative of the PRC government recognising the Scarborough reefs and shoals as part of Philippines soverignty.

If Duterte, the Philippines president, accepts anything less from his Chinese counterpart then he is either a fool or a traitor.
I would imagine that the Philippines has more pressing concerns than sovereignty over a few scattered rocks...

:roll:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:29 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:31 am
neverfail wrote:

I would imagine that the Philippines has more pressing concerns than sovereignty over a few scattered rocks...

Those "few scattered rocks" are almost right up against The Philippines' shoreline. Were I Filipino myself I would NOT want them to be in the hands of a foreign power.

Conversely, considering the huge territirial domain that China occupies (as big as Australia and then half as big again) it raises the queastion of why China would covet those "few scattered rocks".

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:48 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:29 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Those "few scattered rocks" are almost right up against The Philippines' shoreline. Were I Filipino myself I would NOT want them to be in the hands of a foreign power.

Conversely, considering the huge territirial domain that China occupies (as big as Australia and then half as big again) it raises the queastion of why China would covet those "few scattered rocks".
Ships pass through the S China Sea, Neverfail. If China controls the sea, SE Asia will become China’s vassals as in olden days. Xi wants to restore China’s empire.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:43 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:48 am
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Ships pass through the S China Sea, Neverfail. If China controls the sea, SE Asia will become China’s vassals as in olden days. Xi wants to restore China’s empire.
There is something as freedom of navigation for all non-military vessels.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:17 am

cassowary wrote:
I absolutely agree! :D

You know Cassowary, when you post on topics other than US politics and the Vietnam War, you often make a lot of sense. :mrgreen:

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:23 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:17 am
cassowary wrote:
I absolutely agree! :D

You know Cassowary, when you post on topics other than US politics and the Vietnam War, you often make a lot of sense. :mrgreen:
I believe I make a lot of sense on US politics as well. It is just that you have a blind spot there.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:04 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:43 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

There is something as freedom of navigation for all non-military vessels.
China has shown it does not abide by international rules or norms. It makes its own rules.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:41 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:23 am
I believe I make a lot of sense on US politics as well. It is just that you have a blind spot there.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

neverfail

Re: Hypocrisy over opposition to China's claims to those islands.

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:20 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:04 pm
China has shown it does not abide by international rules or norms. It makes its own rules.
So is the "alternative China" Taiwan. It owns the very first outpost built on those disputed islands (in 1946) for the purpose of claiming the South China Sea as Chinese waters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

In November 1946, the ROC sent naval ships to take control of the islands after the surrender of Japan.[77] It had chosen the largest and perhaps the only inhabitable island, Taiping Island, as its base, and it renamed the island under the name of the naval vessel as Taiping. Also following the defeat of Japan at the end of World War II, the ROC re-claimed the entirety of the Spratly Islands (including Taiping Island) after accepting the Japanese surrender of the islands based on the Cairo and Potsdam Declarations. The Republic of China then garrisoned Itu Aba (Taiping) island in 1946 and posted Chinese flags.
....and they hold on to Taiping island as a permanently staffed ROC outpost to this very day.

The "nine dotted line" claim to the Islands and waters of the South China Sea was originally a Kuomintang innovation that then PRC "inherited" as baggage from its predecessor only after it came to power at the end of the Chinese civil war (in 1949).

(I notice that the same powers that are today adamently opposed to PRC moves to annex the South China Seas, such as the USA, had no qualms about the KUOMINTANG annexation of those islands and waters back in the latter 1940's. What is the difference? It still repesents the loss of the South China Sea as an international waterway to China. Therein lies the hypocrisy!)

It moves me to wonder whether the more recent moves by the PRC to consolidate its hold on the region is tied up with it's unrelenting drive for legetimacy by the progressive elimination of its old nemesis on Taiwan as rival claiment to being the legetimate government of China.

So what about it Cassowary? If the PRC is guilty of going against internationalm rules and norms by occupying the islands, was not Chiang Kai Checks crowd guilty of exactly then same sin?

Does not the Republic of China (Taiwan) still demonstrate the same contempt by continuing to maintain that outpost on Taiping Island?