Kurdistan!?

Discussion of current events
Milo

Kurdistan!?

Post by Milo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Iraqi Kurds 'prepared to draw own borders', Barzani warns Baghdad

The president of Iraqi Kurdistan has signalled it will draw the borders of a future Kurdish state if Baghdad does not accept a vote for independence in a referendum due later this month.

Massoud Barzani told the BBC he wanted to reach an agreement with the central government if Kurds opted to secede.

Iraq's prime minister has rejected the referendum as unconstitutional.

Mr Barzani also warned the Kurds would fight any group that tried to change the "reality" in Kirkuk by force.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41189619

Jim the Moron

Re: Kurdistan!?

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Milo wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 pm
Iraqi Kurds 'prepared to draw own borders', Barzani warns Baghdad

The president of Iraqi Kurdistan has signalled it will draw the borders of a future Kurdish state if Baghdad does not accept a vote for independence in a referendum due later this month.

Massoud Barzani told the BBC he wanted to reach an agreement with the central government if Kurds opted to secede.

Iraq's prime minister has rejected the referendum as unconstitutional.

Mr Barzani also warned the Kurds would fight any group that tried to change the "reality" in Kirkuk by force.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41189619
Yes! Do it!

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:02 am

Good for them. I hope they succeed, and I hope the Iraqis let them go without being reminded how much better than the Iraqi army the Peshmerga really is.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am

I have very high hopes for an independent Kurdistan.

In hindsight, this ideas from the colonial powers that they could devolve little secular multi-ethnic states proved quite flawed and it would have been better to give the tribes flags and leave it to them to sort out how wide they wanted to draw the circle.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 am
I have very high hopes for an independent Kurdistan.

In hindsight, this ideas from the colonial powers that they could devolve little secular multi-ethnic states proved quite flawed and it would have been better to give the tribes flags and leave it to them to sort out how wide they wanted to draw the circle.
Considering one of the basic concept of control of colonies is to create tension between factions of those colonized Well yeah. Cortes made the model. Turned the carious nation-tribes of Mexico against each other in conquering the Aztecs Who charged the other tribes 10% of what they grew each year in tribute Then after the Aztecs were conquered charge the same Tribes 10% of what they grew in Tribute and reduced the native population by 90% in 100 years. THe whole idea of the British bringing Jews back to Palestine was to create division to keep control. The British also divided Africa along rivers while the indigenous tribes lived on both sides of rivers for the very same reason. A divided populace looks to the colonizers for protect from each other.

THe British even tried this in the Americas It just worked four score and five years too late.

And I do agree with you about Kurdistan Milo They deserve their own country
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Kurdish MPs say yes to independence referendum

The Iraqi Kurdish parliament has voted to back an independence referendum in the face of opposition from across the globe.

The Kurdistan Regional Government, sitting for the first time in two years, backed the 25 September vote on Friday.

Iraq's central government rejected the referendum as unconstitutional on Tuesday.
Iran, Turkey and the US also object to the vote, fearing further instability.

The White House issued a statement hours after the vote, asking the Kurdistan Regional Government to call off the referendum and "enter into serious and sustained dialogue with Baghdad".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41279682

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:43 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 pm
Kurdish MPs say yes to independence referendum

The Iraqi Kurdish parliament has voted to back an independence referendum in the face of opposition from across the globe.

The Kurdistan Regional Government, sitting for the first time in two years, backed the 25 September vote on Friday.

Iraq's central government rejected the referendum as unconstitutional on Tuesday.
Iran, Turkey and the US also object to the vote, fearing further instability.

The White House issued a statement hours after the vote, asking the Kurdistan Regional Government to call off the referendum and "enter into serious and sustained dialogue with Baghdad".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41279682
Americans brutally invaded Iraq to promote democracy, but when they see it working, they get scared. The only parliament the US cares about is that which votes to give the US the right to plunder their natural resources...

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 am

I root for kurdish independence. However it will be difficult to establish given that it will form over what used to be Iraq and Syria. The Kurds are a force which Iran will not be happy to accept to its north. Iran has a small kurdish population living in the erea adjacent to the kurdish controlled area in Iraq. That population is terrorised by the IRG and likely would like to integrate into a new Kurdistan. A substantial northern strip of Syria reaching the border of Turkey has a strong Kurdish presence and is also likely to try to attach itself to the new Kurdish state against Assad's will and Erdugan's worries that it will embolden the Turkish Kurds too.
Too many unhappy dictators around may sell a long and bloody battle.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 am

dagbay wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 am
I root for kurdish independence. However it will be difficult to establish given that it will form over what used to be Iraq and Syria. The Kurds are a force which Iran will not be happy to accept to its north. Iran has a small kurdish population living in the erea adjacent to the kurdish controlled area in Iraq. That population is terrorised by the IRG and likely would like to integrate into a new Kurdistan. A substantial northern strip of Syria reaching the border of Turkey has a strong Kurdish presence and is also likely to try to attach itself to the new Kurdish state against Assad's will and Erdugan's worries that it will embolden the Turkish Kurds too.
No doubt exactly correct. It will be difficult, and bloody. Efforts to exterminate Kurds from the ME go back well before Chemical Ali's glory days. It seems, however, that the Kurds are ready to seize the day.

And, they have a Mideastern model - the Jews who fought off savages to preserve their little nation.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 am
dagbay wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 am
No doubt exactly correct. It will be difficult, and bloody. Efforts to exterminate Kurds from the ME go back well before Chemical Ali's glory days. It seems, however, that the Kurds are ready to seize the day.

And, they have a Mideastern model - the Jews who fought off savages to preserve their little nation.
Support as well, Israel declared it's support for the Kurdish independence.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.