Singapore royalty slogs it out for the crown.

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Singapore royalty slogs it out for the crown.

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...and Singapore is alleged to be a republic? :lol:

Lee vs Lee as Singapore heads to the polls

PM Lee Hsien Loong and his brother Lee Hsien Yang will be on hotly opposed sides at upcoming July 12 elections

https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/lee-vs-le ... the-polls/

Now, just who are Lee Hsien Loong and Lee Hsien Yang? :?: :?: :?:

Lee Hsien Loong MP is a Singaporean politician who has served as the 3rd Prime Minister of Singapore since August 2004. Lee is the eldest son of the 1st Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew. Wikipedia

Lee Hsien Yang is a Singaporean politician and senior management executive. Lee is the younger son of Singapore's first Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew, and the younger brother of the current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. He was formerly a Brigadier-General in the Singapore Armed Forces. Wikipedia

Good old Lee Kuan Yew: founder of the Singapore and for decades the country's emperor by mandate from heaven in all but name.

Lee Kuan Yew: whose family still holds the controlling interest in Singapore Inc. and are more likely to be found in the top positions of political, bureaucratic and corporate power than out of them.

Singapore royalty. :D

cassowary

Re: Singapore royalty slogs it out for the crown.

Post by cassowary » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi Neverfail,

Thanks for taking an interest in our coming elections. Here are my comments.

LHY, is unhappy with his more illustrious elder brother, the current PM, because of a dispute over LKY's house. According to LKY's will, he wanted it to be demolished after his death. But LHL wants it to be preserved. The law allows buildings of interest to be gazetted as historic buildings. History was made at his house because meetings of importance regarding the independence of Singapore took place at LKY's home.

LKY had willed it to the PM, LHL. But LHL made a blunder and sold it to LHY. He donated the proceeds to charity. Instead of doing that, he should have donated the property to the people of Singapore. Now, LHY wants to rebuild the home into an apartment block so that he can make lots of $$$. It would be prestigious to own an apartment with the same address as LKY.

He may not get his wish. Hence LHL's fury at his brother. Why did he sell the property to his brother? Since he did not need the money and in fact donated the sales proceeds to charity, LHL could have avoided all this by simply donating the house to the people of Singapore.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm
Hi Neverfail,

LHY, is unhappy with his more illustrious elder brother, the current PM, because of a dispute over LKY's house. According to LKY's will, he wanted it to be demolished after his death. But LHL wants it to be preserved. The law allows buildings of interest to be gazetted as historic buildings. History was made at his house because meetings of importance regarding the independence of Singapore took place at LKY's home.

LKY had willed it to the PM, LHL. But LHL made a blunder and sold it to LHY. He donated the proceeds to charity. Instead of doing that, he should have donated the property to the people of Singapore. Now, LHY wants to rebuild the home into an apartment block so that he can make lots of $$$. It would be prestigious to own an apartment with the same address as LKY.

He may not get his wish. Hence LHL's fury at his brother. Why did he sell the property to his brother? Since he did not need the money and in fact donated the sales proceeds to charity, LHL could have avoided all this by simply donating the house to the people of Singapore.
I see what you mean Cass. That home is so central to the modern history of Singapore that I agree it should be preserved for posterity. Could you imagine Raffles Hotel being demolished to make way for an apartment block?

Why would Lee Kwan Yew have wanted it demoloshed? To avert squabbling among his offsprings after his death?

Is this dispute an issue in the elction?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm
Hi Neverfail,

I see what you mean Cass. That home is so central to the modern history of Singapore that I agree it should be preserved for posterity. Could you imagine Raffles Hotel being demolished to make way for an apartment block?

Why would Lee Kwan Yew have wanted it demoloshed? To avert squabbling among his offsprings after his death?

Is this dispute an issue in the elction?
No it is not. But it affects the election tangentially. LHY was courted by ex-PAP MP, Tan Cheng Bok, who started his own party. LHY did not stand for election but has publicly supported TCB against his brother.

Why did LKY ask to have his property demolished? Officially, he said that he wanted no special honors which a preserved house would have conferred. But I think there is more to it. I heard that his wife is a very private person. She was horrified at the thought that strangers would be wandering their home if it were to be preserved like Washington's home at Mt Vernon. It was an invasion of privacy in her view and LKY assured her that he would not allow it.

Besides important political meetings held in the house, it was also visited by distinguished visitors like Deng Xiaoping. So I agree that the house should be preserved and not demolished. I think LHY is motivated by greed.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:51 am

Not much more I can add to this for now, Cass.

neverfail

Re: Singapore on the threshold of change?

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 am

Now I can.
https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/pandemic- ... singapore/

Pandemic poll tests Lee’s mettle in Singapore
No government incumbent in power in Singapore at present could promise restored prosperity/ renewed economic growth soon with any credibility. The World has plunged into recession and Singapore is very dependent upon world trade for its prosperity.

It is my private belief that worse is yet to come - that the global COVID-19 pandemic and the accompanying global recession have far from run their course and are yet to plumb greater depths. However, my gloomy prognostication is yet to be proven by unfolding events.

Whatever its committment to free market economics; its social discipline and good governance there is logically nothing much a country like Singapore can do other than to roll with the punches.

Which brings us to the politics. The PAP government may not be to blame for either the epidemic or for the recession but that will not stop voters from feeling insecure/experiencing discontent. For the past half a century Singapore has riden the wave of good fortune in terms that it was able to reap maximum benefit in a world where the entire global economy was expanding. Especially in light of the fact that Singapore has been located over the half century on the threshold of the World's most growthful region. Alas, now I have reason to believe that the world; even eastern and southern Asia where Singapore is domisciled has now entered decades of leaner, more troubled times. Such straitened epochs truly test the mettle of nations, peoples and systems of government and act like a great cull - seperating the sheep from the goats.

Tough, challenging, stressful times bring political change in their wake; just as smooth. prosperous times tend to preserve and perpetuate the status-quo. If Singapore had a unified party of Opposition with a credible platform to present to voters, wothout a doubt we would see a change of government as a consequence of this election. Yet I notice that the Asia Times article refers to opposition parties in the plural. While the PAP will likely win by default; if the other parties wrest enough parliamentarty seats from it it may likely encourage the formation of a unified Party of Opposition (or an Opposition coalition of 2 or 3 smaller parties with a hammered-out joint agenda) to provide Singapore for the first time in its history as a soverign state with something that has been missing: a real alternative government waiting in the wings.

I warmly wish Singapore well but my hopes for it's future are mitigated by my anticipation of the years, possibly even decades, of challenge that now lay in front of it.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 am

I wonder if the Lees are just putting on a show. That way they can siphon some votes away from opposition parties.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 am
I wonder if the Lees are just putting on a show. That way they can siphon some votes away from opposition parties.
I don't believe that they need to Milo. The disunited opposition is still no threat to the ascendency of the PAP.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:46 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 am
I don't believe that they need to Milo. Short trem the disunited opposition is still no threat to the ascendency of the PAP.

Long term the tougher conditiions Singapore residents will likely find themselves living with indefinitely into the future is likely to inspire disillusionment with the PAP and growing interest in alternatives. T only factor that might preserve PAP power beeyond its effective "use by date" may be the failure of disparate opposiion factions to coalesce into a unified position.

cassowary

Re: Singapore on the threshold of change?

Post by cassowary » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:35 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 am
Now I can.
https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/pandemic- ... singapore/

Pandemic poll tests Lee’s mettle in Singapore
No government incumbent in power in Singapore at present could promise restored prosperity/ renewed economic growth soon with any credibility. The World has plunged into recession and Singapore is very dependent upon world trade for its prosperity.

It is my private belief that worse is yet to come - that the global COVID-19 pandemic and the accompanying global recession have far from run their course and are yet to plumb greater depths. However, my gloomy prognostication is yet to be proven by unfolding events.

Whatever its committment to free market economics; its social discipline and good governance there is logically nothing much a country like Singapore can do other than to roll with the punches.

Which brings us to the politics. The PAP government may not be to blame for either the epidemic or for the recession but that will not stop voters from feeling insecure/experiencing discontent. For the past half a century Singapore has riden the wave of good fortune in terms that it was able to reap maximum benefit in a world where the entire global economy was expanding. Especially in light of the fact that Singapore has been located over the half century on the threshold of the World's most growthful region. Alas, now I have reason to believe that the world; even eastern and southern Asia where Singapore is domisciled has now entered decades of leaner, more troubled times. Such straitened epochs truly test the mettle of nations, peoples and systems of government and act like a great cull - seperating the sheep from the goats.

Tough, challenging, stressful times bring political change in their wake; just as smooth. prosperous times tend to preserve and perpetuate the status-quo. If Singapore had a unified party of Opposition with a credible platform to present to voters, wothout a doubt we would see a change of government as a consequence of this election. Yet I notice that the Asia Times article refers to opposition parties in the plural. While the PAP will likely win by default; if the other parties wrest enough parliamentarty seats from it it may likely encourage the formation of a unified Party of Opposition (or an Opposition coalition of 2 or 3 smaller parties with a hammered-out joint agenda) to provide Singapore for the first time in its history as a soverign state with something that has been missing: a real alternative government waiting in the wings.

I warmly wish Singapore well but my hopes for it's future are mitigated by my anticipation of the years, possibly even decades, of challenge that now lay in front of it.
I agree with you, Neverfail. After hastily typing this reply to you, I will be leaving to cast my vote. I can’t help fearing for the future. For the first time in our history, I have no confidence the ruling party will win, unlike previous elections. The possible outcome of this election ranges from a shock defeat of the ruling PAP to a complete defeat of all opposition parties, erasing their paltry foothold in Parliament.

Whoever wins will face a daunting task.