Australia is arming itself "just in case".

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Australia is arming itself "just in case".

Post by Sertorio » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:39 pm

It Would Be Wise for US to Regard Meng Case as Civil, Not Criminal, Says Former Australian PM
https://sputniknews.com/world/202007121 ... ralian-pm/
(...)

Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd suggested that the United States could resolve the row between China and Canada over the arrest of Meng Wanzhou by Canadian authorities. Speaking at The West Block program, which is aired on Canada’s Global Television Network, Rudd said that Washington could make change Meng’s case from criminal to civil.

"The action lies with the US judicial authorities and my argument would simply be this … if the United States is going to continue to treat this is as a criminal matter, then the Canadian extradition process is going to continue to unfold. Wisdom may lie in the US doing what I believe it’s done in the past, which is regard this as a civil matter not a criminal matter. If this resolved as a civil matter before the courts, it would result in a very large fine", said Kevin Rudd, who prior to his tenure as prime minister served as Australia’s ambassador to China.

(...)
I'm happy to see that some Australians are wiser than others...

neverfail

Re: Australia is arming itself "just in case".

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:39 pm
It Would Be Wise for US to Regard Meng Case as Civil, Not Criminal, Says Former Australian PM
https://sputniknews.com/world/202007121 ... ralian-pm/
(...)

Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd suggested that the United States could resolve the row between China and Canada over the arrest of Meng Wanzhou by Canadian authorities. Speaking at The West Block program, which is aired on Canada’s Global Television Network, Rudd said that Washington could make change Meng’s case from criminal to civil.

"The action lies with the US judicial authorities and my argument would simply be this … if the United States is going to continue to treat this is as a criminal matter, then the Canadian extradition process is going to continue to unfold. Wisdom may lie in the US doing what I believe it’s done in the past, which is regard this as a civil matter not a criminal matter. If this resolved as a civil matter before the courts, it would result in a very large fine", said Kevin Rudd, who prior to his tenure as prime minister served as Australia’s ambassador to China.

(...)
I'm happy to see that some Australians are wiser than others...
Kevin Rudd opines publically on a lot of things but does not weild much authority these days. Not since he led his government to a thorough electoral defeat in 2013.