Weep for the US

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Weep for the US

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm

America is too broken to fight the coronavirus

No other developed country is doing so badly.

https://www.watoday.com.au/world/north- ... 557c4.html

Sertorio

Re: Weep for the US

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm

The US is a country full of ignorant, religious nut cases, who despise science. Besides, being a country which relies on private health care, the US is highly vulnerable to a health disaster like a pandemic. But of course, many Americans still think they are "exceptional"... Maybe they are, but not in the way they think...

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 am
neverfail wrote:

The US is a country full of ignorant, religious nut cases, who despise science. Besides, being a country which relies on private health care, the US is highly vulnerable to a health disaster like a pandemic. But of course, many Americans still think they are "exceptional"... Maybe they are, but not in the way they think...
I think I have an idea what that exceptionality is and in the most colloquial expression I can come up with it's "Please, don't fuck with me".........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:51 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 am
neverfail wrote:

I think I have an idea what that exceptionality is and in the most colloquial expression I can come up with it's "Please, don't fuck with me".........
Re-reading this, I'm liking the term 'life freedom' Francesco Sisci came up with in his review of David P. Goldman's book, "You Will Be Assimilated". It actually expresses the idea and I can use it in polite society....^^......
People's control over their own lives has been enhanced in many other ways, as the government has reformed the economy and withdrawn from many areas of society.

Citizens can now start their own businesses, buy their own homes and travel abroad freely.

But in one respect there has been little change. Politics is still completely controlled by the Chinese Communist Party, which tolerates little criticism.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-11949981

Both aspects are crucial to an emancipated life, but political freedom and being able to own and express your own opinions loses its savour when communal censure rides herd on your personal expression, comfort and even simple joy.........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:51 pm

Re-reading this, I'm liking the term 'life freedom' Francesco Sisci came up with in his review of David P. Goldman's book, "You Will Be Assimilated". It actually expresses the idea and I can use it in polite society....^^......
People's control over their own lives has been enhanced in many other ways, as the government has reformed the economy and withdrawn from many areas of society.

Citizens can now start their own businesses, buy their own homes and travel abroad freely.

But in one respect there has been little change. Politics is still completely controlled by the Chinese Communist Party, which tolerates little criticism.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-11949981

Both aspects are crucial to an emancipated life, but political freedom and being able to own and express your own opinions loses its savour when communal censure rides herd on your personal expression, comfort and even simple joy.........
Thanks Izz.

In broad agreement with you on that take but would strongly suggest that there is more to this matter of political freedom that its (somewhat egocentric) effect on the individual as described above. In arguing this I am not by any means dismissing the the importance of political freedom for individual self-expression of individuals (and related matters) but rather point out how by extension how it affects the destiny of entire nations.

The trouble with a setup like the one party monopoly of power that prevails in the PRC is that it seems based on the presumption that the ruling party also holds a monopoly of wisdom in determining the country's destiny. At this point I baulk at accepting any such arrogant supposition of omniscience by any entrenched power elite.

It is such vainglorious, megalomaniac assumptions of inate, exclusive wisdom that has led nations and empires to destruction again and again. You need only recall the Third Reich and the pumped up "exceptionalism" it was steeped in to comprehend what I mean.

No functioning democracy is perfect but even a somewhat flawed, malfunctioning model like the USA has a clear advantage over any PRC style of one-party rule scenario. When the incumbent governing body pursues a bad policy course there is always the poss8ibility that the voting public can force the government to change course by (as a last resort) voting in a new government.

Here in Australia where we have a parliamentary system of elected government I have observed over the years how it is in many instances not always even necessary to change the government in order to bring about a change government policy. The incumbent government, under pressure from the party in opposition (and in response to mounting public disquiet at the course of events) has sometimes "done a policy backflip" rather than court a continued loss of public trust and confidence that could lead it to lose the next election. I would describe this as "democracy's built-in self-correcting mechanism".

Perhaps in the USA where you have a different structure of political power you may not experience this phenomenon so often (or alternatively it might happen in the long run bot not be so obvious to the public)?

The point is that in a land like the PRC where the ruling party holds an unassailable monopoly of political power (and with that a monopoly the unchallenged right to determine government policy) the prospect of such "self-correction from within" is about zero.

Does that bother me? You bet it does - it alarms me!

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:01 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 pm

No functioning democracy is perfect but even a somewhat flawed, malfunctioning model like the USA has a clear advantage over any PRC style of one-party rule scenario. When the incumbent governing body pursues a bad policy course there is always the poss8ibility that the voting public can force the government to change course by (as a last resort) voting in a new government.

Here in Australia where we have a parliamentary system of elected government I have observed over the years how it is in many instances not always even necessary to change the government in order to bring about a change government policy. The incumbent government, under pressure from the party in opposition (and in response to mounting public disquiet at the course of events) has sometimes "done a policy backflip" rather than court a continued loss of public trust and confidence that could lead it to lose the next election. I would describe this as "democracy's built-in self-correcting mechanism".

Perhaps in the USA where you have a different structure of political power you may not experience this phenomenon so often (or alternatively it might happen in the long run bot not be so obvious to the public)?

The point is that in a land like the PRC where the ruling party holds an unassailable monopoly of political power (and with that a monopoly the unchallenged right to determine government policy) the prospect of such "self-correction from within" is about zero.

I would like to see that here rather than a no-shoot cold civil war where the only objective is to wrest power from the hands of the irredeemable, nonnegotiable opposition. Politics in the USA is pursued with no more gravitas than a prime-time game show......

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 pm

And have it all taken away without any due process. Or, just a quickie secret detention when needed.
Fan was secretly detained by Chinese authorities, disappearing from public on 1 July 2018 for nearly three months. She subsequently appeared on social media, offering a public apology over tax evasion, for which the Chinese authorities fined her more than CN¥883 million (US$127 million).[8][9][10]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_Bingbing

Nothing like social harmony!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:01 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 pm

I would like to see that here rather than a no-shoot cold civil war where the only objective is to wrest power from the hands of the irredeemable, nonnegotiable opposition. Politics in the USA is pursued with no more gravitas than a prime-time game show......
That is truly a pity lzzrdgrrl.