Canada didn't get a sit on the UNSC

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Canada didn't get a sit on the UNSC

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Some comments on the web about Canada not having been elected for a sit on the UNSC
Canada.JPG
Canada.JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 274 times
I'm sure Milo is not happy... ;)

Milo

Re: Canada didn't get a sit on the UNSC

Post by Milo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:36 pm
Some comments on the web about Canada not having been elected for a sit on the UNSC

Canada.JPG

I don't care.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Canada.JPG

I don't care.
But maybe you should. The implication that electing Canada to the UNSC would be tantamount to giving the US a second vote should not leave any Canadian indifferent... After all Canada is a sovereign state...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 am
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Canada.JPG

I don't care.
But maybe you should. The implication that electing Canada to the UNSC would be tantamount to giving the US a second vote should not leave any Canadian indifferent... After all Canada is a sovereign state...
Canada proved that back in the 1960's when, despite being a NATO ally of the United States, it provided sanctuary and safe haven to young Americans who were liable to the draft but did not want to have to serve in Vietnam.
..................................................................................................................................

Just two years ago I and my wife had the privelege of being the guest of a widow in Canada. This lady's deceased husband had been an American who had served as a soldier in Vietnam and after discharge had moved north into Canada.

Why did he do it? Because he did not wish for any son of his to be liable for the US draft and possibly have to serve overseas in a war and thereby witness/relive the sort of horrors that he endured in Vietnam. Canadian citizenship by birth, he must have calculated, would provide his offsprings with the required immunity from the US draft.

Beginning with the royalist "Tory Americans" who fled in the wake of Washington's victory during their War of Independence; Canada seems to have a history of attracting that type of refugee fleeing the American nightmare :lol: :D .

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Canada.JPG

I don't care.
Yes, a handful of people posting on Twitter, getting a total of 45 likes, clearly portend my country's doom.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:26 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Canada.JPG

I don't care.
Yes, a handful of people posting on Twitter, getting a total of 45 likes, clearly portend my country's doom.
It's a signal... But you don't like signals which point to things you would rather ignore...