India is being led to disaster by a myopic fool?

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: India is being led to disaster by a myopic fool?

Post by neverfail » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 pm

China shoots itself in the foot in the Himalayas

China's killing of 20 Indian soldiers and threat to slay more is latest aggression that is making foes of friends and driving its encirclement.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/06/china-sho ... himalayas/
Despite Trump and Modi, an Asia rim alliance to contain the PRC's power ambitions seems to be coming together comprised of the very same countries that enlisted for Obama's proposed Trans-Pacific partnership.

ironically, the drivng force behind the formation of this unlikely Asia-rim pact is NOT the United States but the PRC itself.

If Trump proves too stupid (or too preoccupied with his own re-election - not much difference?) to grasp the importance of that development then hopefully his likely post November 2020 successor in office will do it for him and act accordingly.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Fighting WW4 before WW3 IE Fought with Sticks and stones

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi Doc,

Too much chatter on this youtube piece for my liking. Neverthrless, I may have picked up a point or two.

An India-China war in the Himalaya range would be a futile military campaign because due to supply and reinforcement difficulties Chinese troops could not hope to reach India's Ganges basin heartland while Indian troops could not hope to overrun Tibet.

There is another way they could do it though. As long as the Pakistanis were willing to collaborate China could get at India from its west via Pakistan.

There is now a paved, all-weather road of Chinese construction running through a mountain pass from Tibet down into the Pakistan heartland. As long as they had enough time to prepare beforehand China could ferry military assets including entire armoured divisions down there for use against India in the coming conflict.

There is not, never has been any direct terrestial (road or rail) transport links between India and China. That contrast with the Pakistan scenario is highly significent.
..............................................................................................................

Meantime, at the other end of Asia Beijing (as one of the video talking heads suggested) may have talked the regime in North Korea to begin stoking up tensions with South Korea and (in the long run) to prepare for war.

The next 6 months would appear to be an opportune time. South Korea is offside with traditional alies Like Japan (with whom it currently is in a state of bitter dispute) as well as with the USA. If the USA continues to become paralised with coronavirus spread combined with rancorous, divisive politics it should create an opening for a swift North Korea/China victory on the Korean peninsila.
....................................................................................................

So try to imagine similtaneous wars involving China erupting on the Indian subcontinent and the Korean peninsula. Imagine the difficulty the US might have even priortising which of the two to send assistance to first.

While the US and other western allies are thus distractred, China then sends a seaborne invasion force across the Strait of Formosa to take Taiwan virtually unopposed.

I would not put it past them!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:02 am

https://asiatimes.com/2020/06/1962-indi ... war-redux/

On the other hand, given the ultra-nationalist fervor sweeping the country, sections of the Indian public also began believing our own rhetoric that the Indian military is today more than a match for China’s – that, in a conflict in the Himalayas, India can give a “bloody nose” to the Chinese military.

But such beliefs are delusional. China is a superpower. Although Indian military strength has increased in the recent decades, the fact remains that China has phenomenally modernized its armed forces with technologies that have a force multiplier effect that are way beyond India’s capability.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:12 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 pm
Doc wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi Doc,

Too much chatter on this youtube piece for my liking. Neverthrless, I may have picked up a point or two.

An India-China war in the Himalaya range would be a futile military campaign because due to supply and reinforcement difficulties Chinese troops could not hope to reach India's Ganges basin heartland while Indian troops could not hope to overrun Tibet.

There is another way they could do it though. As long as the Pakistanis were willing to collaborate China could get at India from its west via Pakistan.

There is now a paved, all-weather road of Chinese construction running through a mountain pass from Tibet down into the Pakistan heartland. As long as they had enough time to prepare beforehand China could ferry military assets including entire armoured divisions down there for use against India in the coming conflict.

There is not, never has been any direct terrestial (road or rail) transport links between India and China. That contrast with the Pakistan scenario is highly significent.
..............................................................................................................

Meantime, at the other end of Asia Beijing (as one of the video talking heads suggested) may have talked the regime in North Korea to begin stoking up tensions with South Korea and (in the long run) to prepare for war.

The next 6 months would appear to be an opportune time. South Korea is offside with traditional alies Like Japan (with whom it currently is in a state of bitter dispute) as well as with the USA. If the USA continues to become paralised with coronavirus spread combined with rancorous, divisive politics it should create an opening for a swift North Korea/China victory on the Korean peninsila.
....................................................................................................

So try to imagine similtaneous wars involving China erupting on the Indian subcontinent and the Korean peninsula. Imagine the difficulty the US might have even priortising which of the two to send assistance to first.

While the US and other western allies are thus distractred, China then sends a seaborne invasion force across the Strait of Formosa to take Taiwan virtually unopposed.

I would not put it past them!
I do not think that either North Korea or China want to invade South Korea. They want the US out of Korea, and one way to achieve this is making South Korea nervous about tensions with the north. The idea is that sooner or later South Korea will feel that relations with North Korea and China are more important than relations with the US. Particularly a US led by someone like Trump...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:12 am

I do not think that either North Korea or China want to invade South Korea. They want the US out of Korea, and one way to achieve this is making South Korea nervous about tensions with the north. The idea is that sooner or later South Korea will feel that relations with North Korea and China are more important than relations with the US. Particularly a US led by someone like Trump...
You are entitled to your view bot I still disagree with it. North and South Korea never entered into a peace treaty but only a ceasefire back in 1953 and that inherently unstable status quo has remained intact ever since. Neither side recognises the cease fire line as a permanent international frontier between two adjoining states: both of which are soverign and recognised as such by the other.

Of course the North and the PRC want the Yanks out of South Korea. They want the best guarantee that South Korea has that it will not be invaded from across its northern border to be removed so that the strategic balance of power on the Korean peninsula will slip into the hands of the North Korean regime and its backer the PRC.

The South Koreans could not possibly be so stupid as to fall for the ruse and request the Americans to leave.
.........................................................................................................................................

P.S. in my earlier recent post I mentioned (speculatively) a future scenario where the PRC stokes up wars respectively on the Indian subcontinent and the Korean peninsula in order to divert American (and other Western) attention and resources away from the targeted conquest that the PRC really wants ahead of all else - the island of Taiwan. I did not treat Korea i9n isolation.

Bear in mind that the PRC holds a thermonuclear arsonel only about the size of that of France - which means that in a potential nuclear exchangte China is very much outclassed by the USA. So in order to win a conventional war the PRC would have to act very sly and cunning and avoid at all costs giving the US reason to use the nuclear option against it.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:36 pm

XI and other CCP Myopic fools taking a break from their disastrous Wolf clown diplomacy

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:53 pm

China is also facing a global backlash against its arrogant projection of power abroad.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. - Issac Newton's third law of physics.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:11 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:53 pm
China is also facing a global backlash against its arrogant projection of power abroad.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. - Issac Newton's third law of physics.
That is also true of American arrogant projection of power abroad. Why do people only look at China and not to the US?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:10 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:11 am
neverfail wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:53 pm

That is also true of American arrogant projection of power abroad. Why do people only look at China and not to the US?
It depends on which of the two you find the greater threat.