Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Discussion of current events
Post Reply
User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by armchair_pundit » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 am

I can't wait to see how our resident America experts respond to this... C'mon, bring your A game, as in analytical, and try to see out side your box... Leave your trolling to another thread, if you can...

you should read at the original link, check the comments

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/ano ... -and-logic

Anonymous Berkeley Professor Shreds BLM Injustice Narrative; Berkeley Responds
Profile picture for user Tyler Durden
by Tyler Durden
Sat, 06/13/2020 - 15:26

Update (06/13/2020): U.C. Berkeley's history department has issued a statement regarding the anonymous letter, and instead of addressing - or inviting a vigorous debate over its content, Berkeley's response validates one of the letter's core claims that dissent outside "a tightly policed, narrow discourse" is not welcome.

"An anonymous letter has been circulating, purportedly written by a @UCBHistory professor. We have no evidence that this letter was written by a History faculty member," the UC Berkeley History department tweeted Friday evening," adding "We condemn this letter: it goes against our values as a department and our commitment to equity and inclusion."

An anonymous letter has been circulating, purportedly written by a @UCBHistory professor. We have no evidence that this letter was written by a History faculty member. We condemn this letter: it goes against our values as a department and our commitment to equity and inclusion.
— UC Berkeley History (@UCBHistory) June 13, 2020

We would expect no less than this lazy broad brushstroke from an institution which shuns the rational discourse of 'problematic' topics.

Disgraceful.

This tweet confirms everything the letter rightly condemned.

Astonishing that your department has been so thoroughly corrupted that you don't care how this stance will be viewed by, well, history.
— Crony Capitalist (@CronyCapital) June 13, 2020

* * *

An anonymous history professor at U.C. Berkeley has penned an open letter against the current narratives of racial injustice underpinning the BLM movement and ongoing protests over the death of George Floyd.

Its authenticity was confirmed by Kentucky State University Assistant Professor of Political Science, Wilfred Reilley, who says he was sent a copy of the letter along with Stanford University economist Thomas Sowell.

I can confirm that the letter in the thread below was sent to me and Tom Sowell. It's really worth reading, in a time of widespread panic. https://t.co/bknCdO39c3
— Wilfred Reilly (@wil_da_beast630) June 12, 2020

Reprinted in its entirety below (emphasis ours) via @tracybeanz:

* * *

UC Berkeley History Professor's Open Letter Against BLM, Police Brutality and Cultural Orthodoxy

Dear profs X, Y, Z

I am one of your colleagues at the University of California, Berkeley. I have met you both personally but do not know you closely, and am contacting you anonymously, with apologies. I am worried that writing this email publicly might lead to me losing my job, and likely all future jobs in my field.

In your recent departmental emails you mentioned our pledge to diversity, but I am increasingly alarmed by the absence of diversity of opinion on the topic of the recent protests and our community response to them.

In the extended links and resources you provided, I could not find a single instance of substantial counter-argument or alternative narrative to explain the under-representation of black individuals in academia or their over-representation in the criminal justice system. The explanation provided in your documentation, to the near exclusion of all others, is univariate: the problems of the black community are caused by whites, or, when whites are not physically present, by the infiltration of white supremacy and white systemic racism into American brains, souls, and institutions.

Many cogent objections to this thesis have been raised by sober voices, including from within the black community itself, such as Thomas Sowell and Wilfred Reilly. These people are not racists or 'Uncle Toms'. They are intelligent scholars who reject a narrative that strips black people of agency and systematically externalizes the problems of the black community onto outsiders. Their view is entirely absent from the departmental and UCB-wide communiques.

The claim that the difficulties that the black community faces are entirely causally explained by exogenous factors in the form of white systemic racism, white supremacy, and other forms of white discrimination remains a problematic hypothesis that should be vigorously challenged by historians. Instead, it is being treated as an axiomatic and actionable truth without serious consideration of its profound flaws, or its worrying implication of total black impotence. This hypothesis is transforming our institution and our culture, without any space for dissent outside of a tightly policed, narrow discourse.

A counternarrative exists. If you have time, please consider examining some of the documents I attach at the end of this email. Overwhelmingly, the reasoning provided by BLM and allies is either primarily anecdotal (as in the case with the bulk of Ta-Nehisi Coates' undeniably moving article) or it is transparently motivated. As an example of the latter problem, consider the proportion of black incarcerated Americans. This proportion is often used to characterize the criminal justice system as anti-black. However, if we use the precise same methodology, we would have to conclude that the criminal justice system is even more anti-male than it is anti-black.

Would we characterize criminal justice as a systemically misandrist conspiracy against innocent American men? I hope you see that this type of reasoning is flawed, and requires a significant suspension of our rational faculties. Black people are not incarcerated at higher rates than their involvement in violent crime would predict. This fact has been demonstrated multiple times across multiple jurisdictions in multiple countries.

And yet, I see my department uncritically reproducing a narrative that diminishes black agency in favor of a white-centric explanation that appeals to the department's apparent desire to shoulder the 'white man's burden' and to promote a narrative of white guilt.

If we claim that the criminal justice system is white-supremacist, why is it that Asian Americans, Indian Americans, and Nigerian Americans are incarcerated at vastly lower rates than white Americans? This is a funny sort of white supremacy. Even Jewish Americans are incarcerated less than gentile whites. I think it's fair to say that your average white supremacist disapproves of Jews. And yet, these alleged white supremacists incarcerate gentiles at vastly higher rates than Jews. None of this is addressed in your literature. None of this is explained, beyond hand-waving and ad hominems. "Those are racist dogwhistles". "The model minority myth is white supremacist". "Only fascists talk about black-on-black crime", ad nauseam.

These types of statements do not amount to counterarguments: they are simply arbitrary offensive classifications, intended to silence and oppress discourse. Any serious historian will recognize these for the silencing orthodoxy tactics they are, common to suppressive regimes, doctrines, and religions throughout time and space. They are intended to crush real diversity and permanently exile the culture of robust criticism from our department.

Increasingly, we are being called upon to comply and subscribe to BLM's problematic view of history, and the department is being presented as unified on the matter. In particular, ethnic minorities are being aggressively marshaled into a single position. Any apparent unity is surely a function of the fact that dissent could almost certainly lead to expulsion or cancellation for those of us in a precarious position, which is no small number.

I personally don't dare speak out against the BLM narrative, and with this barrage of alleged unity being mass-produced by the administration, tenured professoriat, the UC administration, corporate America, and the media, the punishment for dissent is a clear danger at a time of widespread economic vulnerability. I am certain that if my name were attached to this email, I would lose my job and all future jobs, even though I believe in and can justify every word I type.

The vast majority of violence visited on the black community is committed by black people. There are virtually no marches for these invisible victims, no public silences, no heartfelt letters from the UC regents, deans, and departmental heads. The message is clear: Black lives only matter when whites take them. Black violence is expected and insoluble, while white violence requires explanation and demands solution. Please look into your hearts and see how monstrously bigoted this formulation truly is.

No discussion is permitted for nonblack victims of black violence, who proportionally outnumber black victims of nonblack violence. This is especially bitter in the Bay Area, where Asian victimization by black assailants has reached epidemic proportions, to the point that the SF police chief has advised Asians to stop hanging good-luck charms on their doors, as this attracts the attention of (overwhelmingly black) home invaders. Home invaders like George Floyd. For this actual, lived, physically experienced reality of violence in the USA, there are no marches, no tearful emails from departmental heads, no support from McDonald's and Wal-Mart. For the History department, our silence is not a mere abrogation of our duty to shed light on the truth: it is a rejection of it.

The claim that black intraracial violence is the product of redlining, slavery, and other injustices is a largely historical claim. It is for historians, therefore, to explain why Japanese internment or the massacre of European Jewry hasn't led to equivalent rates of dysfunction and low SES performance among Japanese and Jewish Americans respectively. Arab Americans have been viciously demonized since 9/11, as have Chinese Americans more recently. However, both groups outperform white Americans on nearly all SES indices - as do Nigerian Americans, who incidentally have black skin. It is for historians to point out and discuss these anomalies. However, no real discussion is possible in the current climate at our department. The explanation is provided to us, disagreement with it is racist, and the job of historians is to further explore additional ways in which the explanation is additionally correct. This is a mockery of the historical profession.

Most troublingly, our department appears to have been entirely captured by the interests of the Democratic National Convention, and the Democratic Party more broadly. To explain what I mean, consider what happens if you choose to donate to Black Lives Matter, an organization UCB History has explicitly promoted in its recent mailers. All donations to the official BLM website are immediately redirected to ActBlue Charities, an organization primarily concerned with bankrolling election campaigns for Democrat candidates. Donating to BLM today is to indirectly donate to Joe Biden's 2020 campaign. This is grotesque given the fact that the American cities with the worst rates of black-on-black violence and police-on-black violence are overwhelmingly Democrat-run. Minneapolis itself has been entirely in the hands of Democrats for over five decades; the 'systemic racism' there was built by successive Democrat administrations.

The patronizing and condescending attitudes of Democrat leaders towards the black community, exemplified by nearly every Biden statement on the black race, all but guarantee a perpetual state of misery, resentment, poverty, and the attendant grievance politics which are simultaneously annihilating American political discourse and black lives. And yet, donating to BLM is bankrolling the election campaigns of men like Mayor Frey, who saw their cities devolve into violence. This is a grotesque capture of a good-faith movement for necessary police reform, and of our department, by a political party. Even worse, there are virtually no avenues for dissent in academic circles. I refuse to serve the Party, and so should you.

The total alliance of major corporations involved in human exploitation with BLM should be a warning flag to us, and yet this damning evidence goes unnoticed, purposefully ignored, or perversely celebrated. We are the useful idiots of the wealthiest classes, carrying water for Jeff Bezos and other actual, real, modern-day slavers. Starbucks, an organisation using literal black slaves in its coffee plantation suppliers, is in favor of BLM. Sony, an organisation using cobalt mined by yet more literal black slaves, many of whom are children, is in favor of BLM. And so, apparently, are we. The absence of counter-narrative enables this obscenity. Fiat lux, indeed.

There also exists a large constituency of what can only be called 'race hustlers': hucksters of all colors who benefit from stoking the fires of racial conflict to secure administrative jobs, charity management positions, academic jobs and advancement, or personal political entrepreneurship.

Given the direction our history department appears to be taking far from any commitment to truth, we can regard ourselves as a formative training institution for this brand of snake-oil salespeople. Their activities are corrosive, demolishing any hope at harmonious racial coexistence in our nation and colonizing our political and institutional life. Many of their voices are unironically segregationist.

MLK would likely be called an Uncle Tom if he spoke on our campus today. We are training leaders who intend, explicitly, to destroy one of the only truly successful ethnically diverse societies in modern history. As the PRC, an ethnonationalist and aggressively racially chauvinist national polity with null immigration and no concept of jus solis increasingly presents itself as the global political alternative to the US, I ask you: Is this wise? Are we really doing the right thing?

As a final point, our university and department has made multiple statements celebrating and eulogizing George Floyd. Floyd was a multiple felon who once held a pregnant black woman at gunpoint. He broke into her home with a gang of men and pointed a gun at her pregnant stomach. He terrorized the women in his community. He sired and abandoned multiple children, playing no part in their support or upbringing, failing one of the most basic tests of decency for a human being. He was a drug-addict and sometime drug-dealer, a swindler who preyed upon his honest and hard-working neighbors.

And yet, the regents of UC and the historians of the UCB History department are celebrating this violent criminal, elevating his name to virtual sainthood. A man who hurt women. A man who hurt black women. With the full collaboration of the UCB history department, corporate America, most mainstream media outlets, and some of the wealthiest and most privileged opinion-shaping elites of the USA, he has become a culture hero, buried in a golden casket, his (recognized) family showered with gifts and praise. Americans are being socially pressured into kneeling for this violent, abusive misogynist. A generation of black men are being coerced into identifying with George Floyd, the absolute worst specimen of our race and species.

I'm ashamed of my department. I would say that I'm ashamed of both of you, but perhaps you agree with me, and are simply afraid, as I am, of the backlash of speaking the truth. It's hard to know what kneeling means, when you have to kneel to keep your job.

It shouldn't affect the strength of my argument above, but for the record, I write as a person of color. My family have been personally victimized by men like Floyd. We are aware of the condescending depredations of the Democrat party against our race. The humiliating assumption that we are too stupid to do STEM, that we need special help and lower requirements to get ahead in life, is richly familiar to us. I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be easier to deal with open fascists, who at least would be straightforward in calling me a subhuman, and who are unlikely to share my race.

The ever-present soft bigotry of low expectations and the permanent claim that the solutions to the plight of my people rest exclusively on the goodwill of whites rather than on our own hard work is psychologically devastating. No other group in America is systematically demoralized in this way by its alleged allies. A whole generation of black children are being taught that only by begging and weeping and screaming will they get handouts from guilt-ridden whites.

No message will more surely devastate their futures, especially if whites run out of guilt, or indeed if America runs out of whites. If this had been done to Japanese Americans, or Jewish Americans, or Chinese Americans, then Chinatown and Japantown would surely be no different to the roughest parts of Baltimore and East St. Louis today. The History department of UCB is now an integral institutional promulgator of a destructive and denigrating fallacy about the black race.

I hope you appreciate the frustration behind this message. I do not support BLM. I do not support the Democrat grievance agenda and the Party's uncontested capture of our department. I do not support the Party co-opting my race, as Biden recently did in his disturbing interview, claiming that voting Democrat and being black are isomorphic. I condemn the manner of George Floyd's death and join you in calling for greater police accountability and police reform. However, I will not pretend that George Floyd was anything other than a violent misogynist, a brutal man who met a predictably brutal end.

I also want to protect the practice of history. Cleo is no grovelling handmaiden to politicians and corporations. Like us, she is free.


/end


"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which canceled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it (…) To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality“ - George Orwell

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by Sertorio » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am

Interesting letter. But I can't help noticing that its author does not attempt to offer an alternative explanation as to why there is a disproportionate number of black people in jail. Are black people more prone to crime than any other people? Why? Is it genetic? Is it because they are poorer than other people? And if they are poorer, is it because they are less capable, less educated, less bright, less willing to work? In other words, because they are inferior people? If the author does not think so, and he refuses to think that it is the whites' fault, than what is the explanation? I would be curious to know...

User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by armchair_pundit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am
Interesting letter. But I can't help noticing that its author does not attempt to offer an alternative explanation as to why there is a disproportionate number of black people in jail. Are black people more prone to crime than any other people? Why? Is it genetic? Is it because they are poorer than other people? And if they are poorer, is it because they are less capable, less educated, less bright, less willing to work? In other words, because they are inferior people? If the author does not think so, and he refuses to think that it is the whites' fault, than what is the explanation? I would be curious to know...
You can't not notice, if you read the letter. Do your own research. Your are a professor, or so you claim, as is the letter writer. Do you even understand what they are saying about their "revered" institution?

Many posters have posted numerous opinions, articles and videos detailing the identity politics and the "plantation culture" (as well as the rest of the playbook) employed by the progressive left's march through the US's institutions and people.

Why don't you take a shot at answering your own question?

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:01 am

armchair_pundit wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am
Interesting letter. But I can't help noticing that its author does not attempt to offer an alternative explanation as to why there is a disproportionate number of black people in jail. Are black people more prone to crime than any other people? Why? Is it genetic? Is it because they are poorer than other people? And if they are poorer, is it because they are less capable, less educated, less bright, less willing to work? In other words, because they are inferior people? If the author does not think so, and he refuses to think that it is the whites' fault, than what is the explanation? I would be curious to know...
You can't not notice, if you read the letter. Do your own research. Your are a professor, or so you claim, as is the letter writer. Do you even understand what they are saying about their "revered" institution?

Many posters have posted numerous opinions, articles and videos detailing the identity politics and the "plantation culture" (as well as the rest of the playbook) employed by the progressive left's march through the US's institutions and people.

Why don't you take a shot at answering your own question?
Since black people are not less intelligent than white people, the problem is one of development. But to solve this development problem you would need a society very different from the American society. To tackle this development problem one would need awareness of the problem, money, willingness to spend it efficiently, empathy with the black population, a strong feeling of solidarity, an end to violence against them, very good education for all black children, good health care, adequate housing and food. While some Americans might be willing to make the effort, the vast majority of them would strongly oppose it. As a result blacks will continue feeling marginalized and subject to violence and injustice. They will continue having a sub-standard education. And thus they will never be able to compete. We also have a black population in Portugal, and we have none of the problems we see in the US. Even if there still is a gap in education opportunities and in development level, blacks in Portugal do not feel excluded or subject to systemic violence, and therefore one can expect them to fully integrate and reach the level of the rest of us within a relatively short period of time.

User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by armchair_pundit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:26 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:01 am
armchair_pundit wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am
Interesting letter. But I can't help noticing that its author does not attempt to offer an alternative explanation as to why there is a disproportionate number of black people in jail. Are black people more prone to crime than any other people? Why? Is it genetic? Is it because they are poorer than other people? And if they are poorer, is it because they are less capable, less educated, less bright, less willing to work? In other words, because they are inferior people? If the author does not think so, and he refuses to think that it is the whites' fault, than what is the explanation? I would be curious to know...
You can't not notice, if you read the letter. Do your own research. Your are a professor, or so you claim, as is the letter writer. Do you even understand what they are saying about their "revered" institution?

Many posters have posted numerous opinions, articles and videos detailing the identity politics and the "plantation culture" (as well as the rest of the playbook) employed by the progressive left's march through the US's institutions and people.

Why don't you take a shot at answering your own question?
Since black people are not less intelligent than white people, the problem is one of development. But to solve this development problem you would need a society very different from the American society. To tackle this development problem one would need awareness of the problem, money, willingness to spend it efficiently, empathy with the black population, a strong feeling of solidarity, an end to violence against them, very good education for all black children, good health care, adequate housing and food. While some Americans might be willing to make the effort, the vast majority of them would strongly oppose it. As a result blacks will continue feeling marginalized and subject to violence and injustice. They will continue having a sub-standard education. And thus they will never be able to compete. We also have a black population in Portugal, and we have none of the problems we see in the US. Even if there still is a gap in education opportunities and in development level, blacks in Portugal do not feel excluded or subject to systemic violence, and therefore one can expect them to fully integrate and reach the level of the rest of us within a relatively short period of time.
Your response is the essence of what we deem "limousine liberialism"

The letter writer has an answer for you about that
The ever-present soft bigotry of low expectations and the permanent claim that the solutions to the plight of my people rest exclusively on the goodwill of whites rather than on our own hard work is psychologically devastating. No other group in America is systematically demoralized in this way by its alleged allies. A whole generation of black children are being taught that only by begging and weeping and screaming will they get handouts from guilt-ridden whites.

No message will more surely devastate their futures, especially if whites run out of guilt, or indeed if America runs out of whites.
You didn't specifically say "whites" but that is the subtext, not only in your solution, but most others as well.

What effect has this had on the Black family, where 70%+ children have no father to support them now? What effect has this hard and soft bigotry had on the Black culture?

The black population in Portugal, do they call themselves "African Portuguese"? Are they well assimilated into mainstream Portuguese culture? Do they speak "African Portuguese" or just the standard dialect**? is there an "African Portuguese" parliamentary coalition in Portuguese government beholden to one political party? Do you have hiring quotas? Affirmative action? Based on identity politics? From one of your dominant political parties like our Democratic party?
** I ask this innocently because I can't tell a British black person from a British white person by voice only, unless its exaggerated.

Do you have inner city ghettos built with trillions of dollars to "to tackle this development problem one would need awareness of the problem, money, willingness to spend it efficiently, empathy with the black population, a strong feeling of solidarity, an end to violence against them, very good education for all black children, good health care, adequate housing and food."?

We do and we have done exactly that or so we've been led to believe, but it seems that in those mostly Democratic cities, the situation never improves. Especially as the race hustlers spin up business...
There also exists a large constituency of what can only be called 'race hustlers': hucksters of all colors who benefit from stoking the fires of racial conflict to secure administrative jobs, charity management positions, academic jobs and advancement, or personal political entrepreneurship.
The patronizing and condescending attitudes of Democrat leaders towards the black community, exemplified by nearly every Biden statement on the black race, all but guarantee a perpetual state of misery, resentment, poverty, and the attendant grievance politics which are simultaneously annihilating American political discourse and black lives. And yet, donating to BLM is bankrolling the election campaigns of men like Mayor Frey, who saw their cities devolve into violence. This is a grotesque capture of a good-faith movement for necessary police reform, and of our department, by a political party. Even worse, there are virtually no avenues for dissent in academic circles. I refuse to serve the Party, and so should you.
Why is that? Keep going with your research and analysis...

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 pm

If I were a black person in the US I wouldn't believe a word of what any white person would say about the race issue. I mentioned the word empathy before, and I will use it again. Blacks need empathy not pity. They need sincere respect, not empty words about equality. They need good education from the first grade, not affirmative action after 12 years of educational neglect. They need solidarity, not handouts. But most Americans don't give a damn, especially because they truly believe that blacks are inferior and therefore beyond any help. They are only good for sports, jazz and dancing, not for the things that make a country progress. No wonder so many blacks are ready to riot, burn and destroy.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2659
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by Milo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:01 am
armchair_pundit wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am
Interesting letter. But I can't help noticing that its author does not attempt to offer an alternative explanation as to why there is a disproportionate number of black people in jail. Are black people more prone to crime than any other people? Why? Is it genetic? Is it because they are poorer than other people? And if they are poorer, is it because they are less capable, less educated, less bright, less willing to work? In other words, because they are inferior people? If the author does not think so, and he refuses to think that it is the whites' fault, than what is the explanation? I would be curious to know...
You can't not notice, if you read the letter. Do your own research. Your are a professor, or so you claim, as is the letter writer. Do you even understand what they are saying about their "revered" institution?

Many posters have posted numerous opinions, articles and videos detailing the identity politics and the "plantation culture" (as well as the rest of the playbook) employed by the progressive left's march through the US's institutions and people.

Why don't you take a shot at answering your own question?
Since black people are not less intelligent than white people, the problem is one of development. But to solve this development problem you would need a society very different from the American society. To tackle this development problem one would need awareness of the problem, money, willingness to spend it efficiently, empathy with the black population, a strong feeling of solidarity, an end to violence against them, very good education for all black children, good health care, adequate housing and food. While some Americans might be willing to make the effort, the vast majority of them would strongly oppose it. As a result blacks will continue feeling marginalized and subject to violence and injustice. They will continue having a sub-standard education. And thus they will never be able to compete. We also have a black population in Portugal, and we have none of the problems we see in the US. Even if there still is a gap in education opportunities and in development level, blacks in Portugal do not feel excluded or subject to systemic violence, and therefore one can expect them to fully integrate and reach the level of the rest of us within a relatively short period of time.
Racism in Portugal
Racism is usually related with ethnicity rather than nationality, with black people being the most common target, after Ciganos. The Ciganos were the object of fierce discrimination and persecution.[3] The number of Ciganos in Portugal is about 40,000 to 50,000 spread all over the country.[4] The majority of the Ciganos concentrate themselves in urban centers, where from the late 1990s to the 2000s, major public housing (bairros sociais) policies were targeted at them in order to promote social integration.[5][6] However, this population is still characterised by very low levels of educational qualification, high unemployment, and crime rates. The Ciganos are the ethnic group that the Portuguese most reject and discriminate against, and are also targets for discriminatory practices from the State administration, namely at a local level, finding persistent difficulties in the access to job placement, housing and social services, as well as in the relation to police forces.[7] There are also reports on discrimination of Ciganos by owners of small shops in many parts of the country, including businesses run by other ethnic minorities, such as the Chinese.[8] There has also been incidents of minor discrimination towards Arabs due to the history of the country.
In an incident on February 5, 2015, eighteen police officers (PSP) tortured and beat a group of youths of African descent. The police officers originally lied about what had occurred, but a two-year investigation by the National Counterterrorism Unit (UNCT) and Public Ministry (MP) uncovered what had occurred. The MP concluded that the incident began with an arbitrary and violent arrest of a young man Bruno Lopes in a suburb of Lisbon, Amadora. Despite not resisting arrest, he was subject to racial slurs, and was beaten violently. As a result, 6 individuals (including mediators of youth associations who act as informal liaisons between members of the community and police) went to inquire about the arrest status of Bruno Lopes. Unprovoked, the MP found that police brutally attacked the 6 individuals, and used a number of racial slurs. The attack included physical beatings as well as the individuals being shot with rubber bullets. One police officer was reported to have said, "They're all going to die, you f*cking blacks." The 6 individuals were then detained for two days, during which beatings and torture continued. Much of the torture was explicitly motivated by racial hatred. One officer was reported to have said "You do not know how I hate your race, I want to exterminate you all from this land, you have to deport yourself, and if I told you, you would all be sterilized." Another said, "You're going to disappear, you, your race and your shitty neighborhood!" The two days of beatings reportedly left blood all over the floor, which investigators reported observing as members of the police station attempted to clean up the floor "stained red". Originally the internal inspection authority of the police had found no evidence of mistreatment, but the investigation by UNCT and MP demonstrated that this was categorically untrue. [11]

As of September 7, 2017, it does not appear that any of the 18 officers have faced criminal justice for their actions. 4 of the 18 officers continue to work in the same police station. Others have left the station but it does not appear to be as a result of any penalty for their actions.[12]

Racism and violent crime rise

Crime was a major source of discontent, and sentiment that Portugal was becoming increasingly unsafe since the country turned a destination to several thousand emigrants after 1990, led to the dismissal of Internal Administration Minister Fernando Gomes in the early 2000s on the heels of gang violence that made headlines. Along with the gang crime wave, which involved large groups of youths, many of them descendants of immigrants from the former Portuguese colonies who live in several neighbourhoods around Lisbon, wreaking havoc on commuter train lines and robbing gasoline (petrol) stations, the country was also shocked by attacks on nightclubs, and a rise of violent crime related with local and international organized crime which includes a number of gangs particularly active in Greater Lisbon and Greater Porto areas. A large proportion of convicts by violent crime are foreigners and many people tend easily to blame immigrants or ethnic minorities for that type of crime.[13]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Portugal

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:01 am
armchair_pundit wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am
Interesting letter. But I can't help noticing that its author does not attempt to offer an alternative explanation as to why there is a disproportionate number of black people in jail. Are black people more prone to crime than any other people? Why? Is it genetic? Is it because they are poorer than other people? And if they are poorer, is it because they are less capable, less educated, less bright, less willing to work? In other words, because they are inferior people? If the author does not think so, and he refuses to think that it is the whites' fault, than what is the explanation? I would be curious to know...
You can't not notice, if you read the letter. Do your own research. Your are a professor, or so you claim, as is the letter writer. Do you even understand what they are saying about their "revered" institution?

Many posters have posted numerous opinions, articles and videos detailing the identity politics and the "plantation culture" (as well as the rest of the playbook) employed by the progressive left's march through the US's institutions and people.

Why don't you take a shot at answering your own question?
Since black people are not less intelligent than white people, the problem is one of development. But to solve this development problem you would need a society very different from the American society. To tackle this development problem one would need awareness of the problem, money, willingness to spend it efficiently, empathy with the black population, a strong feeling of solidarity, an end to violence against them, very good education for all black children, good health care, adequate housing and food. While some Americans might be willing to make the effort, the vast majority of them would strongly oppose it. As a result blacks will continue feeling marginalized and subject to violence and injustice. They will continue having a sub-standard education. And thus they will never be able to compete. We also have a black population in Portugal, and we have none of the problems we see in the US. Even if there still is a gap in education opportunities and in development level, blacks in Portugal do not feel excluded or subject to systemic violence, and therefore one can expect them to fully integrate and reach the level of the rest of us within a relatively short period of time.
Racism in Portugal
Racism is usually related with ethnicity rather than nationality, with black people being the most common target, after Ciganos. The Ciganos were the object of fierce discrimination and persecution.[3] The number of Ciganos in Portugal is about 40,000 to 50,000 spread all over the country.[4] The majority of the Ciganos concentrate themselves in urban centers, where from the late 1990s to the 2000s, major public housing (bairros sociais) policies were targeted at them in order to promote social integration.[5][6] However, this population is still characterised by very low levels of educational qualification, high unemployment, and crime rates. The Ciganos are the ethnic group that the Portuguese most reject and discriminate against, and are also targets for discriminatory practices from the State administration, namely at a local level, finding persistent difficulties in the access to job placement, housing and social services, as well as in the relation to police forces.[7] There are also reports on discrimination of Ciganos by owners of small shops in many parts of the country, including businesses run by other ethnic minorities, such as the Chinese.[8] There has also been incidents of minor discrimination towards Arabs due to the history of the country.
In an incident on February 5, 2015, eighteen police officers (PSP) tortured and beat a group of youths of African descent. The police officers originally lied about what had occurred, but a two-year investigation by the National Counterterrorism Unit (UNCT) and Public Ministry (MP) uncovered what had occurred. The MP concluded that the incident began with an arbitrary and violent arrest of a young man Bruno Lopes in a suburb of Lisbon, Amadora. Despite not resisting arrest, he was subject to racial slurs, and was beaten violently. As a result, 6 individuals (including mediators of youth associations who act as informal liaisons between members of the community and police) went to inquire about the arrest status of Bruno Lopes. Unprovoked, the MP found that police brutally attacked the 6 individuals, and used a number of racial slurs. The attack included physical beatings as well as the individuals being shot with rubber bullets. One police officer was reported to have said, "They're all going to die, you f*cking blacks." The 6 individuals were then detained for two days, during which beatings and torture continued. Much of the torture was explicitly motivated by racial hatred. One officer was reported to have said "You do not know how I hate your race, I want to exterminate you all from this land, you have to deport yourself, and if I told you, you would all be sterilized." Another said, "You're going to disappear, you, your race and your shitty neighborhood!" The two days of beatings reportedly left blood all over the floor, which investigators reported observing as members of the police station attempted to clean up the floor "stained red". Originally the internal inspection authority of the police had found no evidence of mistreatment, but the investigation by UNCT and MP demonstrated that this was categorically untrue. [11]

As of September 7, 2017, it does not appear that any of the 18 officers have faced criminal justice for their actions. 4 of the 18 officers continue to work in the same police station. Others have left the station but it does not appear to be as a result of any penalty for their actions.[12]

Racism and violent crime rise

Crime was a major source of discontent, and sentiment that Portugal was becoming increasingly unsafe since the country turned a destination to several thousand emigrants after 1990, led to the dismissal of Internal Administration Minister Fernando Gomes in the early 2000s on the heels of gang violence that made headlines. Along with the gang crime wave, which involved large groups of youths, many of them descendants of immigrants from the former Portuguese colonies who live in several neighbourhoods around Lisbon, wreaking havoc on commuter train lines and robbing gasoline (petrol) stations, the country was also shocked by attacks on nightclubs, and a rise of violent crime related with local and international organized crime which includes a number of gangs particularly active in Greater Lisbon and Greater Porto areas. A large proportion of convicts by violent crime are foreigners and many people tend easily to blame immigrants or ethnic minorities for that type of crime.[13]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Portugal
There is so little truth in the Wiki report that I will not even bother to answer it.

The comments on gypsies though are mostly true, but the situation is very much due to gypsies refusing to let themselves be assimilated in the Portuguese society. It is only in the last few years that the government has been able to make sure gypsy children - especially the girls - attend school. And they are finally getting settled in normal neighbourhoods. I believe that given another generation, the gypsy problem will be solved.

User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by armchair_pundit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 pm
If I were a black person in the US I wouldn't believe a word of what any white person would say about the race issue.
And therein lies the rub... and the liberal's poisoned well.

Also, I guess you skipped over the part where the letter writer is verified to be a highly educated person of color (black), a tenured professor of history at one of (what used to be) America's most prestigious universities?

(at what University are you tenured, in what discipline? If you care to share?)
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 pm
I mentioned the word empathy before, and I will use it again. Blacks need empathy not pity. They need sincere respect, not empty words about equality. They need good education from the first grade, not affirmative action after 12 years of educational neglect. They need solidarity, not handouts.
Now you're just reverting to sloganeering. You can do better?

Everything you've proposed has been done at every level of American society and governance since 1965, yet the plantation still exists.
But most Americans don't give a damn, especially because they truly believe that blacks are inferior and therefore beyond any help. They are only good for sports, jazz and dancing, not for the things that make a country progress.
And a lot of liberal projection...

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 3720
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Can't keep them on the plantation any mo'

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:52 pm

I guess you skipped over the part where the letter writer is verified to be a highly educated person of color (black), a tenured professor of history at one of (what used to be) America's most prestigious universities?
Yes. And there will be quite a few like him, but not enough to make a difference to what I said...

Post Reply