Reunification of Ireland?

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Reunification of Ireland?

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 17, 2020 4:44 am

A poll in the North on reunification in February had the figures at 46.8 percent for staying in the UK, 45.4 percent for a united Ireland, and 7.8 percent sitting on the barbed wire fence. In summary, it’s tighter than the veritable gnat’s anus.

While that’s the case in the North, in the Republic of Ireland (the South, for ease), which would require its own border poll, it’s something of an open goal: the same survey in the South had 73.1 percent in favour of a united Ireland.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/488807-brexit- ... d-ireland/
Sooner or later it will happen. Probably sooner...

cassowary

Re: Reunification of Ireland?

Post by cassowary » Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm

That’s why Boris must build the bridge ASAP. It will provide the Irish with a psychological tie to Britain.

Second, Boris must encourage business investment and hence British migration to N Ireland.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm
That’s why Boris must build the bridge ASAP. It will provide the Irish with a psychological tie to Britain.

Second, Boris must encourage business investment and hence British migration to N Ireland.
Would you favour promoting Malay migration to Singapore?... ;)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon May 18, 2020 6:58 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Would you favour promoting Malay migration to Singapore?... ;)
Ah. Clever reply. I once had an (Anglo) Irish friend from North Ireland. He proudly told me that his family has been in Ireland for nearly 300 years. In spite of their long residence, his family considers themselves as English. Understanding how things are in North Ireland, I impishly asked him, "How English are you?"

He replied, "That's like me asking you, 'how Chinese are you.'" The English in N Ireland are like the Chinese in Malaya.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 am

RT says there's a poll but won't cite it...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 am

Milo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 am
Are you happy with this poll, published by The Guardian?

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/m ... nife-edge/

From the whole population of Northern Ireland only those older than 65 would prefer to remain in the UK.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 am
Milo wrote:

From the whole population of Northern Ireland only those older than 65 would prefer to remain in the UK.
Lord Ashcroft? That Nazi would sell his mother for a can of generic tuna!

BTW it's worth saying that Whitehall has been trying to get NI to leave for decades. They cost the UK a ton. If RI wants to foot the bill instead, I can't see the UK caring much. The Queen could lose a title but she should be used to that by now.

Really what's happened to the UK since WWII is a rationalization, the biggest one in history. Everyone who didn't want to be in the Empire joined the Commonwealth or left. Those remaining in the Empire got reformed and rebranded as the British Overseas Territories

Mozambique, Portugal's former colony, joined the Commonwealth, despite having no colonial past with the UK!

Pretty much everyone in the Commonwealth and British Overseas Territories now are very happy and aren't going anywhere. NI might be an exception because of the sectarian issues but it will take more than this story to convince me, or them!

This is yet another whatabout story from RT to try to soothe Putin's feelings about the fastest crumbling major power in history, Russia. I remember similar UK posturing only without the snide tone and snippy insults.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

BTW it's worth saying that Whitehall has been trying to get NI to leave for decades. They cost the UK a ton. If RI wants to foot the bill instead, I can't see the UK caring much. The Queen could lose a title but she should be used to that by now.

Really what's happened to the UK since WWII is a rationalization, the biggest one in history. Everyone who didn't want to be in the Empire joined the Commonwealth or left. Those remaining in the Empire got reformed and rebranded as the British Overseas Territories

Mozambique, Portugal's former colony, joined the Commonwealth, despite having no colonial past with the UK!

Pretty much everyone in the Commonwealth and British Overseas Territories now are very happy and aren't going anywhere. NI might be an exception because of the sectarian issues but it will take more than this story to convince me, or them!

This is yet another whatabout story from RT to try to soothe Putin's feelings about the fastest crumbling major power in history, Russia. I remember similar UK posturing only without the snide tone and snippy insults.
You have trouble dealing with facts, you seem to prefer fantasies. Strange, for a lawyer...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:40 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

You have trouble dealing with facts, you seem to prefer fantasies. Strange, for a lawyer...
Strange you should say that when you are the one with the fantasies.

Another poll shows 52% - 28% AGAINSTReunification with South Ireland.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon May 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Sertorio,

Putting on my (amateur) psychologist hat, I think you live in delusion. From your writings, I gather you believe in the whole Marxist hogwash.

Capitalism is oppressive and will collapse due to its internal contradictions. So America and it’s allies will collapse, freeing the world of its TOP capitalist oppressor.

So you look for anything, no matter how remote to confirm your belief. Now you pick on the possible breakup of the UK with N Ireland joining the South.