Japan could carry the day.....

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Japan could carry the day.....

Post by neverfail » Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 pm

Japan's military rise has been stealthy but strong and is increasingly concentrated on China's perceived threat.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/japan-cou ... -conflict/
Then rising sun flag rises once again over a growing military in an international environment of growing menace.

( I truly hope that my Second World War veteran father is not spinning in his grave.)

Sertorio

Re: Japan could carry the day.....

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 pm
Japan's military rise has been stealthy but strong and is increasingly concentrated on China's perceived threat.

Then rising sun flag rises once again over a growing military in an international environment of growing menace.

( I truly hope that my Second World War veteran father is not spinning in his grave.)
Japan is entitled to having armed forces capable of defending the country against any aggression. I only hope Japan wouldn't be tempted to use those forces to do the US dirty work in Asia...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri May 15, 2020 8:26 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 am
neverfail wrote:

Japan is entitled to having armed forces capable of defending the country against any aggression. I only hope Japan wouldn't be tempted to use those forces to do the US dirty work in Asia...
The US and Japan are allies. If war comes, Japan will fight alongside the US against China.
The Imp :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri May 15, 2020 10:14 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:26 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

The US and Japan are allies. If war comes, Japan will fight alongside the US against China.
The last time China fought Japan it didn't go so well for China.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 15, 2020 10:46 am

Milo wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:14 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

A few things changed since 1935...

Chinese People's Army (1935)

Chinese People's Army (2020)

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Automatically?

Bear in mind that if war breaks out Japan will be right in the firing line.

China has thermonuclear arms and Japan does not.

The USA has the "padding" of some thousands of kilometers of ocean seperating it from China and the theatre of conflict. Japan does not have that luxary. It will take a very resolute Japanese government (possibly one with a kamakaze urge) to honour their treaty with the USA (especially if the latter is still led by a fuckwit president).

Japanese governments are not known for being especially resolute.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:46 am
Milo wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:14 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Wow, a photograph! We may as well give up now!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 16, 2020 10:43 am

Milo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:46 am

As far as Canada is concerned I guess the photograph is more than enough... :twisted:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat May 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 am

[/quote]

we? :lol: Who is this "we" you are talking about Milo? ;) :D

Might I point out that Canada abstained from supporting America with military backing during the Vietnam War and even allowed Canada to be a safe haven and place of sanctury for refugee US draft dodgers. Patently clear that while Canada might be duty bound to assist the USA in defending other NATO allies (i.e. In Europe) it is under no such obligation to assist the US in the Asia-Pacific helping to defend countries that might be allies of the USA under bi-lateral treaties but are not NATO member states. Countries that have no defence treaties with Canada.
..................................................................................................................................

Sertorio is right to point out that China today is quite a different country to China back then. China was in those days was divided within to the point where it had for all intents and puropses ceased to exist as a functioniong state and was at war with itself (well, you read the book The SOONG Dynasty so you would be aware as to just how ill governed China was in those days). Imperial Japan by contrast was unified in common cause and armed to the teeth. In light of that it is amazing that despite the clear advantages that Japan had over China in the late 1930's and early 1940's the Chinese still managed to mire the Japanese military down into (to borrow a phrase from the Vietnam War era) an "unwinnable war".

By contrast the Japan of today is hobbled by a pacifist constitution that restricts the percentage of their GDP that can be spent on Military matters to less than 1% of GDP while China is unconstrained by anything other than the state of their economy as to how much it can spend on military preparedness.

Further, China is thermonuclear armed while Japan is not.

A war scenario where only the two fought it out without foreign intervention on one side or the other would more likely result in a massive Chinese victory. Of course it goes without saying that foreign powers would be unlikely not to buy in.

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:34 pm
Further, China is thermonuclear armed while Japan is not.
You can believe that if you want. I don't think Japan has left it self open to nuclear blackmail quite so simply.

Did Israel? Are the two not comparable in terms of technology and capability? And you think the Japanese have just so conveniently left themselves so vulnerable?

Ok... :roll:
neverfail wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:34 pm
A war scenario where only the two fought it out without foreign intervention on one side or the other would more likely result in a massive Chinese victory. Of course it goes without saying that foreign powers would be unlikely not to buy in.
You think so? It took years of fire bombing their cities to ruins and nuking 2 of them before the Japanese surrendered. An invasion of the Japan at the time was still too horrific in the number of casualties to be expected to undertake.

Yet, an untested army of peasant conscripts will easily prevail over the "pacifistic" Japanese, will they? By how? An amphibious invasion of Japan? by way of Taiwan?

Fuck, I miss the old Spengler fora where people who at least knew what they were talking about posted...

(and I don't mean me. i loved it for what I learned from the community...)