Milo wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:56 am
neverfail wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:30 am
Coalition of 62 countries backs joint Australian, EU push for independent inquiry into coronavirus outbreak

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-17/ ... 9/12256910

A coalition of 62 countries has backed a joint Australian and European Union push for an independent inquiry into the coronavirus outbreak ahead of a crucial World Health Assembly (WHA) meeting tomorrow in Geneva.

Australia was the first nation to call for an independent inquiry into how the coronavirus started.

That drew furious condemnation from Beijing, which accused Australia of launching a political attack on China. But international support for the idea has been steadily growing.

As of Sunday evening, Canberra time, 62 nations — including Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Turkey, Russia, South Africa and the United Kingdom — had backed the motion.

The motion does not specifically mention China or the city of Wuhan where the outbreak is believed to have begun.
(Significently, the US has not yet officially backed the enquiry and I would like to know why not?)
I do not dispute the need to know how the coronavirus started. If nothing else, to make sure it doesn't happen again. It is the timing of this campaign which bothers me. The priority is fighting and defeating the virus. Finding out how it all started is not urgent and so it may wait a bit longer. Particularly when everybody sees that this is just an excuse to embarrass China... But hypocrisy has many disguises...
If not now then never.
Our PM is trying to avoid committing to this, he will have to at some point.
Trudeau has a few lucid moments so maybe he will stay away from that idiocy...

Sertorio

Re: China gets nasty with Australia.

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 21, 2020 3:05 am

The US has counted on Australia’s government and PM as minions in its long-running conflict with China. Now, for Canberra’s dubious services, Australian farmers are reaping a bitter harvest from lost access to China’s vast market.

Beijing announced this week it was slapping 80-percent tariffs on Australian exports of barley. That effectively shuts off China as a market. This followed a ban by Beijing on supplies of Australian beef.

Given that China is the biggest market for Australian agricultural goods, the move is a severe blow, with fears of more curbs on a range of other products, from wine to wool, as well as on the wider sectors of coal and iron ore.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/489254-china-t ... y-farmers/
It's amazing how the Australian government "protects" the interests of the country... Bowing to the US is more important than caring for the well being of Australians...

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:05 am
The US has counted on Australia’s government and PM as minions in its long-running conflict with China. Now, for Canberra’s dubious services, Australian farmers are reaping a bitter harvest from lost access to China’s vast market.

Beijing announced this week it was slapping 80-percent tariffs on Australian exports of barley. That effectively shuts off China as a market. This followed a ban by Beijing on supplies of Australian beef.

Given that China is the biggest market for Australian agricultural goods, the move is a severe blow, with fears of more curbs on a range of other products, from wine to wool, as well as on the wider sectors of coal and iron ore.

It's amazing how the Australian government "protects" the interests of the country... Bowing to the US is more important than caring for the well being of Australians...
You would have them bowing to the CCP giving up their freedom in the process.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Sertorio wrote:

No. Just carry on business as usual and stop poking Beijing with fantasies about the source of the coronavirus.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:31 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Sertorio wrote:

No. Just carry on business as usual and stop poking Beijing with fantasies about the source of the coronavirus.
At the very least the CCP virus originated in China and the CCP lied about it, and now there are 334,000 + people dead in the world because the CCP lied. At worst they were playing with Bio Weapons to act out their princeling ambitions at world domination by any and all means.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat May 23, 2020 6:31 pm

No less than 62 different countries supportered the Australian govt. initiave. In the end even the Trump White House belatedly followed the Australian script (not vice-versa)in support of the resulotion - and the PRC government has agreed to cooperate in the enquiry. I believe that in Beijing they are still muttering about imposing tariffs on Australian goods; but whether they do or not remains to be seen. In Beijing they do not like impertenent little countries like mine who get the better of them in international diplomacy - that causes loss of face. Having said all that, the PRC owes an explanation.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 24, 2020 3:48 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:31 pm
No less than 62 different countries supportered the Australian govt. initiave. In the end even the Trump White House belatedly followed the Australian script (not vice-versa)in support of the resulotion - and the PRC government has agreed to cooperate in the enquiry. I believe that in Beijing they are still muttering about imposing tariffs on Australian goods; but whether they do or not remains to be seen. In Beijing they do not like impertenent little countries like mine who get the better of them in international diplomacy - that causes loss of face. Having said all that, the PRC owes an explanation.
This is the official Chinese reaction:
Threats to sue China for its alleged role in the coronavirus pandemic are misguided, the country’s foreign minister has stated, adding that Beijing would co-operate with an even-handed inquiry into the global health crisis.

Lawsuits being threatened against Beijing are “frivolous” and have no precedent under international law, Wang Yi said on Sunday. He warned that using such tactics in an attempt to undermine China’s sovereignty would backfire.

If anybody thought they could use some ludicrous lawsuits to undermine China’s sovereignty and dignity, or to deprive the Chinese people of their hard-won gains, they’d be daydreaming and bring disgrace to themselves.

https://www.rt.com/news/489611-china-da ... ronavirus/
So China has not agreed to cooperate in the inquiry. It has agreed to co-operate with an even-handed inquiry into the global health crisis. If Australia and the other countries want to have China's cooperation, they know what to do... And that's not trying to embarrass China...

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:48 am
neverfail wrote:
Threats to sue China for its alleged role in the coronavirus pandemic are misguided, the country’s foreign minister has stated, adding that Beijing would co-operate with an even-handed inquiry into the global health crisis.

Lawsuits being threatened against Beijing are “frivolous” and have no precedent under international law, Wang Yi said on Sunday. He warned that using such tactics in an attempt to undermine China’s sovereignty would backfire.

If anybody thought they could use some ludicrous lawsuits to undermine China’s sovereignty and dignity, or to deprive the Chinese people of their hard-won gains, they’d be daydreaming and bring disgrace to themselves.

So China has not agreed to cooperate in the inquiry. It has agreed to co-operate with an even-handed inquiry into the global health crisis. If Australia and the other countries want to have China's cooperation, they know what to do... And that's not trying to embarrass China...
Yes, let's have an inquiry, as long as it won't find us at fault!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 am

Milo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

An inquiry is meant to find out what happened. Not to fake proof for what you want to convince people about what happened...

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 am
Milo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

An inquiry is meant to find out what happened. Not to fake proof for what you want to convince people about what happened...
Ah, so China is in charge of what proof is fake?