Post by cassowary » Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:21 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:25 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_co ... rld_War_II

Without the Allied Arctic Sea convoys it is likely that the USSR would have gone under to the Nazi invasion - especially before the Battle of Stalingrad.

Hitler arguably lost the War by picking fights with too many enemies for Germany to cope with.

He also made a poor choice of Axis allies. Fascist italy proved hopeless on the battlefield while Japan, though strong and capable, was just to far away to be helpful.
I agree. As usual, Sertorio wants to glorify Communism.
I don't give a damn about communism. I care about the fact that Russia helped saving Europe from a monster, and that now is the time for Russia and Europe getting together to save us both from another - although different - monster, the oligarchy which controls the US and threatens us all with unending wars.
But Sertorio, Stalin was just as monstrous as Hitler. America had to protect Europe from the Soviet threat till the Berlin Wall fell. Now it is still protecting against the Russian threat.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Re: May 9, 1945

Post by neverfail » Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Without the Allied Arctic Sea convoys it is likely that the USSR would have gone under to the Nazi invasion - especially before the Battle of Stalingrad.

Hitler arguably lost the War by picking fights with too many enemies for Germany to cope with.

He also made a poor choice of Axis allies. Fascist italy proved hopeless on the battlefield while Japan, though strong and capable, was just to far away to be helpful.
I don't give a damn about communism. I care about the fact that Russia helped saving Europe from a monster, and that now is the time for Russia and Europe getting together to save us both from another - although different - monster, the oligarchy which controls the US and threatens us all with unending wars.
But Sertorio, Stalin was just as monstrous as Hitler. America had to protect Europe from the Soviet threat till the Berlin Wall fell. Now it is still protecting against the Russian threat.
Cass, I must voice a little dissent here. I am no fan of Stalin any more than you are but to be fair to his memory; while he arguably had the blood of tens of millions withion the bounds of the USSR on his hands he did not, unlike Hitler, initiate aggressive wars against foreign countries.

From 1923 until before WW2 the only time the Red Army had to take to the field against a foreign army was on two occasions in the late 1930's. The first was when Japanese Imperial forces invaded the Soviet client republic of Mongolia to annex this to their empire. Soviet tanks repelled the Japanese back into occupied Manchuria (Manchukuo). The second occasion (in 1939) was when a Japanese army invaded the Soviet Far East from Manchukuo and again Soviet tanks repelled the Japanese who suffered significent losses. After that the USSR and the Japanese Empire entered into a secret peace agreement. On both occasions the Japanese were the aggressors.

Stalin respected international frontiers until the terms and conditions of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact opened both the opportunity and the NEED to annex neighbours to the west like eastern Poland and the Baltic states.

cassowary

Re: May 9, 1945

Post by cassowary » Wed May 13, 2020 7:57 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Cass, I must voice a little dissent here. I am no fan of Stalin any more than you are but to be fair to his memory; while he arguably had the blood of tens of millions withion the bounds of the USSR on his hands he did not, unlike Hitler, initiate aggressive wars against foreign countries.

From 1923 until before WW2 the only time the Red Army had to take to the field against a foreign army was on two occasions in the late 1930's. The first was when Japanese Imperial forces invaded the Soviet client republic of Mongolia to annex this to their empire. Soviet tanks repelled the Japanese back into occupied Manchuria (Manchukuo). The second occasion (in 1939) was when a Japanese army invaded the Soviet Far East from Manchukuo and again Soviet tanks repelled the Japanese who suffered significent losses. After that the USSR and the Japanese Empire entered into a secret peace agreement. On both occasions the Japanese were the aggressors.

Stalin respected international frontiers until the terms and conditions of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact opened both the opportunity and the NEED to annex neighbours to the west like eastern Poland and the Baltic states.
You forgot the Hitler-Stalin alliance to invade and divide up Poland.
The Imp :D