America's coming cooked up anti-China election campaign?

Discussion of current events
neverfail

America's coming cooked up anti-China election campaign?

Post by neverfail » Wed May 06, 2020 4:00 pm

The word that explains why the US is pushing a discredited Wuhan lab conspiracy theory

For all the challenges social media poses for democracy, one term in particular stands out: vbrosy.

The Russian word means essentially "throwing in" or "introduction" or "placement" and is used for information “thrown into” a discussion to stymie or confuse it.

This explains the recent exchange between Mike Pompeo and a US journalist over the origins of the coronavirus:

Reporter: Do you believe it was man-made or genetically modified?

Pompeo: The best experts so far seem to think it was man-made. I have no reason to disbelieve that at this point.

Reporter: Your office of the [director of national intelligence] says the scientific consensus was not "man-made" or genetically modified.

Pompeo: That's right. I agree with that. Yeah. I've seen their analysis. I've seen the summary that you saw that was released publicly. I have no reason to doubt that this is accurate at this point.

In the exchange it's clear that Pompeo is not so much informing the public, but seeding the global discussion with an untruth that puts pressure on China.

It comes as the Republicans make no secret of plans to convert American dismay for a coronavirus death toll that may well reach past 100,000 into a distilled loathing for an enemy abroad: China.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 54psu.html
It would be truly a shame if the current US administration were to be rewarded with re-election on the basis of a pack of lies, wouldn't it?

cassowary

Re: America's coming cooked up anti-China election campaign?

Post by cassowary » Wed May 06, 2020 6:54 pm

Pompeo is not lying. It probably leaked out accidentally from one of the Wuhan labs. They are not claiming it was a manufactured bio weapon.

A general loathing for the Chinese COMMUNIST Party is a good thing. Unless you feel kinship or sympathy for any leftist party because of your hatred of capitalism.

It seems both parties have become suspicious of China. That is good. Taiwan will be one of the winners of this new anti-China policy. Note that the Taiwanese are also Chinese.

So it is not an new anti Chinese policy but rather an anti CCP policy.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu May 07, 2020 12:22 am

Cass, even our Australian intelligencve agency has done their own independent assessment of the matter of whether the COVID-19 virus originated from that Wuhan lab or (as the PRC government claims) originates from nature and, just like their brother intelligence agencies in the United States, have discounted the possibility that it was man made in the laboratory.

Secretary for State Pompeo claims to have "evidence" that it originated from the lab but will not reveal what that evidence is. What does Trump's foreign affairs flunky have to hide on behalf of his boss? That he has no such evidence? That his (and Trump's) claims are fraudulant?

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 07, 2020 1:25 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:22 am
Cass, even our Australian intelligencve agency has done their own independent assessment of the matter of whether the COVID-19 virus originated from that Wuhan lab or (as the PRC government claims) originates from nature and, just like their brother intelligence agencies in the United States, have discounted the possibility that it was man made in the laboratory.

Secretary for State Pompeo claims to have "evidence" that it originated from the lab but will not reveal what that evidence is. What does Trump's foreign affairs flunky have to hide on behalf of his boss? That he has no such evidence? That his (and Trump's) claims are fraudulant?
The claim is not whether or not it was man made but whether it leaked from the Wuhan Virus Institute's 1500 coronavirus it keeps for study. What you are stating is absolutely CCP propaganda.

But if you feel it is not then maybe you should join the CCP in condemning your own government before you throw stuff all the way across the Pacific.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu May 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:25 am
neverfail wrote:

The claim is not whether or not it was man made but whether it leaked from the Wuhan Virus Institute's 1500 coronavirus it keeps for study. What you are stating is absolutely CCP propaganda.

But if you feel it is not then maybe you should join the CCP in condemning your own government before you throw stuff all the way across the Pacific.

The boycott insinuation by the PRC ambassador has been well publicised here as has the public dismissal by our government. Very likely just another manipulative Chinese bluff that will go nowhere.

Dated April 8 - just one month ago:
https://www.afr.com/companies/mining/ri ... 407-p54hxi

Australia's biggest trading partner is rebounding quickly from its encounter with the coronavirus and showing a strong appetite for Australian iron ore, says Rio Tinto iron ore boss Chris Salisbury.

In a positive sign for Australia's most lucrative export industries, Mr Salisbury said a worrying surge in Chinese steel stockpiles during February had started to recede, suggesting the Chinese construction sector was emerging from hibernation and demand for Australian commodities would hold firm.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:22 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:25 am
neverfail wrote:

The boycott insinuation by the PRC ambassador has been well publicised here as has the public dismissal by our government. Very likely just another manipulative Chinese bluff that will go nowhere.

Australia's biggest trading partner is rebounding quickly from its encounter with the coronavirus and showing a strong appetite for Australian iron ore, says Rio Tinto iron ore boss Chris Salisbury.

In a positive sign for Australia's most lucrative export industries, Mr Salisbury said a worrying surge in Chinese steel stockpiles during February had started to recede, suggesting the Chinese construction sector was emerging from hibernation and demand for Australian commodities would hold firm.
Sounds like you have found a real CCP gold mine there NF.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 am

Doc wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 pm

[/quote]
https://www.austrade.gov.au/news/econom ... erformance

China remained Australia’s largest two-way goods and services trading partner in FY2018–19, accounting for around 26 per cent (A$235 billion) of total trade. China was Australia’s largest export destination (valued at A$153 billion or 33 per cent of Australia’s total exports) as well as import source (valued at A$82 billion or 19 per cent of Australia’s import bill).
Presently China annually buys almost TWICE as much (in dollar value) from us as we do from them. "Gold mine" is no exaggeration.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 am
Doc wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 pm

China remained Australia’s largest two-way goods and services trading partner in FY2018–19, accounting for around 26 per cent (A$235 billion) of total trade. China was Australia’s largest export destination (valued at A$153 billion or 33 per cent of Australia’s total exports) as well as import source (valued at A$82 billion or 19 per cent of Australia’s import bill).
Presently China annually buys almost TWICE as much (in dollar value) from us as we do from them. "Gold mine" is no exaggeration.
[/quote]

So when is Australia going to turn over the keys to the CCP?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 am
Doc wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 pm
So when is Australia going to turn over the keys to the CCP?
About the time that the PRC turns over its keys to us - probably never!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 09, 2020 4:48 am

What's lacking in most discussions about China is objectivity. Of course China is a dictatorship, although not the dictatorship of one person. Of course there are human rights denied in China. But it is also true that the Chinese people live today a thousand times better than they did in 1949. China is a very old country, with a very old civilization, which has learned to use force sparingly. Its fundamental values are those of Confucianism, not those of Marxism, and the chances are that China can contribute to a more peaceful world, not a world always on the brink of war, as the US does. The whole world can benefit from Chinese scientific capabilities, from its culture, if only we stop seeing the Chinese regime as a threat to the rest of us. Chinese Confucian/Marxist system is only for domestic use, not for export. Peaceful coexistence is possible, and that should be our goal. But the US is not capable of understanding that. American imperialism is the problem, not China.