Sopa de Wuhan (Wuhan Soup)

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: Sopa de Wuhan (Wuhan Soup)

Post by cassowary » Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 am

The coronavirus could spark a food shortage.
Russia, the world’s largest wheat exporter, is limiting grain exports from April to June. Egypt, the world’s biggest wheat importer, has ramped up grain purchases and stopped exports of legumes.

The looming food shortage has an echo of the financial crisis of 2008, when large exporters that were worried about food supplies limited exports, causing a global price surge. In response, other countries began importing food like there was no tomorrow.
End the lockdown (except for the old and those with pre-existing illnesses). The cure is worse than the disease.
The Imp :D

cassowary

Re: Sopa de Wuhan (Wuhan Soup)

Post by cassowary » Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 am

I am starving now.
The coronavirus pandemic has left the world facing an unprecedented hunger crisis. The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) has warned that by the end of the year, more than 260 million people will face starvation – double last year's figures.

neverfail

Re: the case of South Africa

Post by neverfail » Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 pm

cassowary wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 am
I am starving now.
The coronavirus pandemic has left the world facing an unprecedented hunger crisis. The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) has warned that by the end of the year, more than 260 million people will face starvation – double last year's figures.
Your link refers to the problems of underpriveleged in South Africa. Out of curiouslity looked up South Africa on Google re. the country's self-sufficiency in food production. The result surprised me:

The country is a net EXPORTER of foodstuffs.

https://www.southafricanmi.com/south-af ... -page.html

It would have to be the one country on the entire African continent in this relatively happy situation. All the others are net importers.

At the opposite end of the African continent is Egypt: singly the world's biggest wheat importing nation and a country that struggles to find the foreign exchange needed to pay (especially since their tourism industry has collapsed).

However, in the case of South Africa being a net exporter does not imply food self-sufficiency. I have not been able to track down credible info. re. the composition of South Africa's agricultural exports and imports but I know that the country is an exporter of fruit and sugar but lacking extensive wheatlands would be a net importer of items like cerial grains and red meat.

Even the underpriveleged like that man featured in that link cannot live on fruit and sugar should South Africa cease exports of food.
Currently the value of Imports and Exports per quarter equates to roughly 60% of South Africa's Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
That one sentence I found to be a real shocker when I read it. For it means that South Africa is even LESS economically self-sufficient than Singapore - which relies on international trade for only one half of its GDP.

Disruption of global trade patterns could and possibly would place this country in truly dire straits.

Meantime, I suspect that Singapore will somehow pass through this Coronavirus crisis time and emerge stronger for it somehow or other.

cassowary

Re: the case of South Africa

Post by cassowary » Wed May 06, 2020 6:22 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 pm
cassowary wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 am
I am starving now.
Your link refers to the problems of underpriveleged in South Africa. Out of curiouslity looked up South Africa on Google re. the country's self-sufficiency in food production. The result surprised me:

The country is a net EXPORTER of foodstuffs.

It would have to be the one country on the entire African continent in this relatively happy situation. All the others are net importers.

At the opposite end of the African continent is Egypt: singly the world's biggest wheat importing nation and a country that struggles to find the foreign exchange needed to pay (especially since their tourism industry has collapsed).

However, in the case of South Africa being a net exporter does not imply food self-sufficiency. I have not been able to track down credible info. re. the composition of South Africa's agricultural exports and imports but I know that the country is an exporter of fruit and sugar but lacking extensive wheatlands would be a net importer of items like cerial grains and red meat.

Even the underpriveleged like that man featured in that link cannot live on fruit and sugar should South Africa cease exports of food.
Currently the value of Imports and Exports per quarter equates to roughly 60% of South Africa's Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
That one sentence I found to be a real shocker when I read it. For it means that South Africa is even LESS economically self-sufficient than Singapore - which relies on international trade for only one half of its GDP.

Disruption of global trade patterns could and possibly would place this country in truly dire straits.

Meantime, I suspect that Singapore will somehow pass through this Coronavirus crisis time and emerge stronger for it somehow or other.
Dear Neverfail,

I am also very surprised that they are less self sufficient than Singapore.

I don't know if we will come out of it stronger. But there is some soul searching. Singapore's handling of the coronavirus crisis was done well - on the whole. Singapore's death per million population from coronavirus is only 3.

Few Singaporeans got infected by the coronavirus. This is not true for the low wage foreign worker from Third World countries - mainly from the Indian sub-continent and a few from China. These low wage foreign workers suffered 95% of the infections reported in Singapore. Thousands of them got infected making Singapore the most infected country in Asia.

That's because of their crowded living quarters. They live in dormitories as many as 12 to 20 to a room. So it is no wonder so many got infected. They are the ones doing the jobs Singaporeans no longer want to do. This led to soul searching by many Singaporeans as sympathy poured in for their plight.

Fortunately, few of them died or are even seriously ill. The main reason is that they are young. Another possible reason may be that they come from unhygienic countries and so have very strong immune systems. They are given the best possible care if they test positive. Whether positive or not, they are separated from the rest of the population.

neverfail

Re: all credit to South Africa.

Post by neverfail » Thu May 07, 2020 12:49 am

Thanks for that report on the Coronavirus situation in Singapore Cass. I suppose my footnote to my latest post represents an expression of confidence in your country by me.

Meantime, South Africa seems to have handled it's Coronavirus infections well:
https://www.ft.com/content/98d0d7c6-9bf ... e0854a3b4d

The country has had more than 7,200 cases and 130 deaths....
Australia has so far recorded 92 deaths but bearing in mind that South Africa has more than double our population that is a significently lower Coronavirus mortality rate than ours.
South Africa imposed one of the world’s strictest lockdowns before it had recorded a single death...
That would a significent part of the reason - the authorities cracked down on it early. The other part of the reason for the so far low infection and mortality rates is that South Africa had a small army of mobile health workers who could go into the (African) townships and do extensive detaction tests.

I shudder to think what will likely happen elsewhere in Africa where they lack South Africa's advantages.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:49 am
Thanks for that report on the Coronavirus situation in Singapore Cass. I suppose my footnote to my latest post represents an expression of confidence in your country by me.

Australia has so far recorded 92 deaths but bearing in mind that South Africa has more than double our population that is a significently lower Coronavirus mortality rate than ours.
South Africa imposed one of the world’s strictest lockdowns before it had recorded a single death...
That would a significent part of the reason - the authorities cracked down on it early. The other part of the reason for the so far low infection and mortality rates is that South Africa had a small army of mobile health workers who could go into the (African) townships and do extensive detaction tests.

I shudder to think what will likely happen elsewhere in Africa where they lack South Africa's advantages.
As my link shows, many people are hungry in South Africa. So the lockdown cannot be sustained. But once it is lifted, the virus will spread again. There is only one viable strategy. Herd immunity. Let the virus spread till 60% to 70% of the population is infected.

When that happens, according to experts, herd immunity will be achieved and the epidemic will end. (Anyone can explain to me why? I am puzzled.) Take advantage of the now known fact that the young rarely die of an infection. Thus, for the old, they must continue to stay home while the young return to work. Or people will starve. The old can come out when herd immunity is achieved.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 07, 2020 1:49 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 am
neverfail wrote:

As my link shows, many people are hungry in South Africa. So the lockdown cannot be sustained. But once it is lifted, the virus will spread again. There is only one viable strategy. Herd immunity. Let the virus spread till 60% to 70% of the population is infected.

When that happens, according to experts, herd immunity will be achieved and the epidemic will end. (Anyone can explain to me why? I am puzzled.) Take advantage of the now known fact that the young rarely die of an infection. Thus, for the old, they must continue to stay home while the young return to work. Or people will starve. The old can come out when herd immunity is achieved.
Herd immunity does not count if the virus mutates enough. That is why the flu vaccine has to change every year to remain effective.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/r ... story.html
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

People must work to put food on the table.

Post by cassowary » Thu May 07, 2020 1:53 am

Even the US has a food shortage because of the lockdown..

The lockdown was a terrible blunder the world made. It must be ended except for the vulnerable.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu May 07, 2020 1:54 am

Doc wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:49 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 am
neverfail wrote:

Herd immunity does not count if the virus mutates enough. That is why the flu vaccine has to change every year to remain effective.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/r ... story.html
That’s true. Herd immunity will last about one year - like flu vaccine. But the lockdown still has to end. Or people will starve.

neverfail

Re: People must work to put food on the table.

Post by neverfail » Thu May 07, 2020 3:00 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:53 am
Even the US has a food shortage because of the lockdown..

The lockdown was a terrible blunder the world made. It must be ended except for the vulnerable.
Well, we have been in lockdown here in Australia for weeks and there is no sign of any food shortage out here....

(...but then, this country is a bloody marvel! :lol: :D )