Sopa de Wuhan (Wuhan Soup)

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Sopa de Wuhan (Wuhan Soup)

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 01, 2020 3:20 am

In a world dominated by the english language, it is amazing to see a major work published in Spanish. I realize that most of you will not be able to read it untranslated, but I do not resist the temptation of dangling it before your nose...

Sopa de Wuhan

https://dialektika.org/wp-content/plugi ... n-ASPO.pdf

neverfail

Re: Sopa de Wuhan (Wuhan Soup)

Post by neverfail » Fri May 01, 2020 4:13 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:20 am
In a world dominated by the english language, it is amazing to see a major work published in Spanish. I realize that most of you will not be able to read it untranslated, but I do not resist the temptation of dangling it before your nose...

Sopa de Wuhan

Sertorio

Yo hablo algunos español pero prefero hablar en Ingles normalmente. Tu comprende? :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:13 am
Sertorio wrote:

Sopa de Wuhan

Sertorio

Yo hablo algunos español pero prefero hablar en Ingles normalmente. Tu comprende? :D
Si, claro!

Spanish is a devilish language for us, Portuguese, because being so close to our own language we never know whether we are speaking Spanish or Spanish-accented Portuguese! Which often makes us look very foolish... :D

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri May 01, 2020 6:03 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 am
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Sopa de Wuhan

Sertorio

Si, claro!

Spanish is a devilish language for us, Portuguese, because being so close to our own language we never know whether we are speaking Spanish or Spanish-accented Portuguese! Which often makes us look very foolish... :D
Interesting. Is Portuguese as spoken in Brazil affected by the prevailing Spanish by its neighbors?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri May 01, 2020 6:09 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:03 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Sopa de Wuhan

Sertorio

Si, claro!

Interesting. Is Portuguese as spoken in Brazil affected by the prevailing Spanish by its neighbors?
I shall allow Sertorio to answer that for you but I suspect not.

The reason is that Brazil is of such titanic size demographically, terrestially and in GDP that I have reason to believe that even if a score of their Spanish speaking neighbours were put together they still could not hope to match it.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 01, 2020 6:13 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Sopa de Wuhan

Sertorio

Si, claro!

Not that I ever noticed. With over 200 million people and a very large territory, Brazil is only confronted by Spanish, as a language, in its dealings with Argentina. But I think Argentina feels more the pressure of Portuguese than Brazil the pressure of Spanish.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 01, 2020 11:48 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:13 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Sopa de Wuhan

Sertorio

Si, claro!

Not that I ever noticed. With over 200 million people and a very large territory, Brazil is only confronted by Spanish, as a language, in its dealings with Argentina. But I think Argentina feels more the pressure of Portuguese than Brazil the pressure of Spanish.
I think there is some Italian and even German influence in the south. However the biggest foreign language influence is English. You can't imegine how many Brasilians I have heard complaining about the large amount of English in Brasilian Portuguese.

Also in order to get a job with a large company in Brazil -- many require applicants know English. This is mostly as a way to weed out applicants. I would guess employers feel (rightly or wrongly) that those who have taken the time to learn English are the "go getters"
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 am

What's the book about?
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 02, 2020 4:11 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 am
What's the book about?
It includes a number of essays by authors of various nationalities about the political, social and economic short term and long term consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. A few of those essays were originally written in English, so you may find them in English on the web.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat May 02, 2020 11:58 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:11 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 am
What's the book about?
It includes a number of essays by authors of various nationalities about the political, social and economic short term and long term consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. A few of those essays were originally written in English, so you may find them in English on the web.
Well, I think one major change will be the supply chain. Companies will move their factories away from China to India, Thailand, Vietnam and Mexico. China has shown the world that it cannot be trusted.

China grew wealthy because the world opened its market to Chinese manufacturers. The world now wonders if it’s a good idea to trust China with the manufacture of so many important things. This will undermine the Xi regime, because the legitimacy of the CCP rests on its ability to provide rising standard of living.
The Imp :D