Trump joins 'Ostrich Alliance' of loser leaders

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Trump joins 'Ostrich Alliance' of loser leaders

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 am

Philadelphia: The Ostrich Alliance. That is the label a Brazilian professor from Sao Paulo applied to the leaders of Brazil, Belarus, Turkmenistan and Nicaragua who continue to deny the threat that the coronavirus poses to their people.

All share a common disdain for science. Alexander Lukashenko, the Belarussian, calls the disease a "psychosis" and refuses to impose social distancing. Nicaragua's Daniel Ortega calls it an "act of God". US President Donald Trump's buddy, Brazilian Jair Bolsonaro, downplays "coronavirus hysteria" and excoriates state governors as "job killers" for imposing quarantines.

In contrast to the ostrich club, the leaders who have been most successful in combating COVID-19, such as those of South Korea, Taiwan, and Germany, openly respect science and listen to their scientific advisers.

Yet, Trump openly joined the Ostrich Alliance last week.

Of course, Trump's disdain for science is no secret. The US is paying a high price for his weeks-long refusal to take COVID-19 seriously, despite many warnings. He promotes unproven drugs. And he refuses to institute a nationwide plan for antibody testing, which is a vital prerequisite for an economic restart.

But last week, the President's war on science reached a fever pitch, as he egged on demonstrators who were protesting stay-at-home restrictions at several state capitals.

In my weeks of covering this crisis worldwide, I have never seen anything so shameful.

"LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" Trump tweeted. "LIBERATE MINNESOTA!" Both are states whose Democratic governors put strict social distancing regulations in place, as have Republican governors in Ohio, Maryland and elsewhere.

"They want their life back. Their life was taken away from them," Trump said at his April 19 briefing, as if health regulations were the enemy, not the virus. He was effectively urging demonstrators to ignore the back-to-work guidelines of his own taskforce, which require a two-week decline in cases before states start to reopen.

That encourages reckless Republican governors such as Georgia's Brian Kemp, who just ordered the opening of nail salons, massage parlours, gyms, and other close-contact businesses, in violation of Trump's guidelines, without even consulting mayors.

Meanwhile, the denigration of Democratic governors becomes Trump's tool to disguise his own failures.

He styles himself a wartime commander in chief. Imagine if Winston Churchill had used his BBC speeches during the Blitz to attack the mayor of London rather than urge his people to stand firm against Adolf Hitler.

For weeks, Trump has misled the nation on the availability of testing for infected individuals, falsely claiming the United States was doing better at testing than other nations.

Instead of co-ordinating the distribution of supplies at the national level − as South Korea and Germany did − Trump left governors from both parties struggling to obtain swabs and necessary chemicals and accurate test kits, in competition with each other.

Trump's response is to criticise governors and call them ignorant. (Perhaps he is jealous that polling shows all governors to be far more popular than he is.)

Nor has the President yet grasped the criticality of ramping testing way, way up in order for Americans to return safely to work.

Most important, say epidemiological experts, there needs to be a national strategy, both to co-ordinate supplies and personnel and to do a large-scale scientific sampling of the entire population for antibodies. This is necessary to finally understand the extent of the disease, including how many people had it but showed no symptoms, and who may now be immune.

Germany, on the other hand, has already started conducting such a study, but then Chancellor Angela Merkel is herself a scientist.

As for the United States, "we are still totally, absolutely operating in the dark", says Jennifer Pinto-Martin, executive director of the Centre for Public Health Initiatives at the University of Pennsylvania. "It is incomprehensible to send people back to work without accurate, consistent testing, contact tracing, and social distancing."

She adds that for testing to be effective, you need a "consistent set of [national] testing protocols", with a testing model that takes into account differences within states, along with age, gender and other factors. If each state goes off on its own, the overall results will be inconsistent, and we will remain ill-informed about the disease.

But far from embracing science, Trump insists mass testing isn't necessary.

It is more convenient for him to shift the burden to the states, even though that makes a safe return to work impossible. If some states reopen too soon (at his urging), Trump can also blame governors when the virus reemerges.

We all want to get back to normal soonest. But it is unconscionable for Trump to abet the conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, Second Amendment fanatics and conservative talk show hosts − along with many genuinely fearful citizens −who want to ignore the painful constrictions of science.

By joining the ostrich club, and playing politics with science, Trump is also playing with our lives.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-a ... 54ma8.html
Patently clear that such mismanagement of America's response to the COVID-19 epidemic the USA will suffer the maximun number of casualties possible - unlike in more wisely led, better organised nations.

armchair_pundit

Re: Trump joins 'Ostrich Alliance' of loser leaders

Post by armchair_pundit » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:19 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/p ... ation.html

NeverFail never fails to serve up the Global Alliance of Useful Idiots propaganda, while apparently under the illusion of being clever.

But of course, there is his condition to consider, after all. Poor thing

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:19 pm

NeverFail never fails to serve up the Global Alliance of Useful Idiots propaganda, while apparently under the illusion of being clever.

I suppose Americans should realize that at least some people who criticize the US and American politicians are not necessarily dumb, ignorant or malicious. Neverfail is none of those things - very much the opposite - and he is in fact a lot more friendly towards the US than most other people around the world. Maybe you should pay a bit more attention to the things he says. After all I believe he is trying to do you a favour...

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm
armchair_pundit wrote:

I suppose Americans should realize that at least some people who criticize the US and American politicians are not necessarily dumb, ignorant or malicious. Neverfail is none of those things - very much the opposite - and he is in fact a lot more friendly towards the US than most other people around the world. Maybe you should pay a bit more attention to the things he says. After all I believe he is trying to do you a favour...
Bah, all I see out of you and him (for the most part) are America/Trump agitprop and lefty talking points served up by whoever, it doesn't matter. At least NF has other axes to grind occasionally and thinks in historical terms..

Never anything about the warts on your asses, or the motes in your eyes. Why all would be so right in the World were America and/or Trump (depending on your hissy fit of the moment) either cease to exist or become as irrelevant as Oz or Portugal, or do as you advise, because, well, I/we know better...

God, it gets old...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:10 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 pm
Sertorio wrote:
armchair_pundit wrote:

Bah, all I see out of you and him (for the most part) are America/Trump agitprop and lefty talking points served up by whoever, it doesn't matter. At least NF has other axes to grind occasionally and thinks in historical terms..

Never anything about the warts on your asses, or the motes in your eyes. Why all would be so right in the World were America and/or Trump (depending on your hissy fit of the moment) either cease to exist or become as irrelevant as Oz or Portugal, or do as you advise, because, well, I/we know better...

God, it gets old...
If you were capable of being truly objective you would soon realize why so many people around the world deeply dislike American policies. But you are so taken up by the "exceptionalist" fantasy that all you can think is that we are malicious and hate Americans, who only want to do nice things around the world...

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:40 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:

God, it gets old...

Yes, it does get old. Too boring to get motivated to reply to, which is why I almost never do.

Sertorio is a party hack. Neverfail is holier than thou.

Both of them are quite smart, but also pretty condescending. It's not like we don't know anything about poverty or colonialism it's just that propaganda and preaching are something I don't have time for, especially when their shtick is always about the Great Satan.

You're on to something about them both living in insignificant countries. Portugal at least had a glorious past, though it also has the worst possible record in terms of the slave trade and other manifestations of its imperialism. I don't know what Australia is famous for. Genocide against Tasmanians? The boomerang? I went to the Botanical Gardens quite a few times while in Sydney. So I've answered my own question. It's neither animal, nor mineral; it's vegetable.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Sertorio wrote:

That's exactly right, Sertorio.

I am no more anti-American than the Biblical prophet Jeremiah was anti-Jewish. Jeremiah in his day was the lone voice in the wilderness who challenged his countrymen to change their ways in order to avert the cominhg catastrophe he foresaw. In grappling with the apparently fragile self-image of my American detractors I often get the impression that I am being cast in the same role.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Apollonius wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:40 pm
armchair_pundit wrote:

God, it gets old...

Yes, it does get old. Too boring to get motivated to reply to, which is why I almost never do.

Both of them are quite smart, but also pretty condescending. It's not like we don't know anything about poverty or colonialism it's just that propaganda and preaching are something I don't have time for, especially when their shtick is always about the Great Satan.

You're on to something about them both living in insignificant countries. Portugal at least had a glorious past, though it also has the worst possible record in terms of the slave trade and other manifestations of its imperialism. I don't know what Australia is famous for. Genocide against Tasmanians? The boomerang? I went to the Botanical Gardens quite a few times while in Sydney. So I've answered my own question. It's neither animal, nor mineral; it's vegetable.

"Yes, it does get old." Tiresome. I can't imagine dumping on any other country in such a manner, especially one that has such as America that has been so beneficial to humankind worldwide.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm
Apollonius wrote:
armchair_pundit wrote:

God, it gets old...

"Yes, it does get old." Tiresome. I can't imagine dumping on any other country in such a manner, especially one that has such as America that has been so beneficial to humankind worldwide.
Did any of you reactive fools bother to check out the actual source of the essay that you all railed against so vocally?

Apparently not!

It might have been reprinted in the Melbourne Age newspaper but did not originate from there. Have a look at where it first appeared and then be ready to eat crow:

Trudy Rubin is a columnist and editorial board member for the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The Philadelphia Inquirer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I republished domestic American self-criticism on this website for your edification.

....and by the way, Rubin, the surname of the authoress, reads like a good Jewish name to me. :)

Wake up! :!:

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:52 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm
Apollonius wrote:
armchair_pundit wrote:

God, it gets old...

Did any of you reactive fools bother to check out the actual source of the essay that you all railed against so vocally?

Apparently not!

It might have been reprinted in the Melbourne Age newspaper but did not originate from there. Have a look at where it first appeared and then be ready to eat crow:

Trudy Rubin is a columnist and editorial board member for the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The Philadelphia Inquirer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I republished domestic American self-criticism on this website for your edification.

....and by the way, Rubin, the surname of the authoress, reads like a good Jewish name to me. :)

Wake up! :!:

neverfail is quite taken with the piece he quotes, by an American. Apparently - simplistically enough - he believes that it represents the views of all Americans. Perhaps unknown to n'fail: Americans are a diverse lot, with different opinions - a reality he seems to have difficulty grasping . . .