Is Mexico being led by a fool?

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Is Mexico being led by a fool? (continued)

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 03, 2020 3:48 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:13 am

{quote]https://www.vox.com/2020/3/26/21193823/ ... ealth-care

Mexico’s coronavirus-skeptical president is setting up his country for a health crisis
Some doctors say Mexico could become the new Italy — or worse.

This one seems to be as much a fool as President Jaor Bolsonaro of Brazil: who likewise dismisses Coronavirus in a cavalier fashion and has likewise not lifted a finger to prepare his country for it despite ample warnings from abroad.
That's not as France 24 sees it:
Mexico declares health emergency as confirmed coronavirus cases top 1,000

Mexico declared a health emergency on Monday and issued stricter rules aimed at containing the fast-spreading coronavirus after its number of cases surged past 1,000 and the death toll rose sharply.

Health officials reported a total of 1,094 cases of coronavirus, up from 993 a day earlier, and eight more deaths, taking the total to 28. They reiterated warnings that Mexico's health system could be overwhelmed if the coronavirus is not contained.

The new measures to fight the virus include a reduction of the number of people who can gather to 50 and an extension of a previously announced suspension of non-essential activities.

"This applies – strictly – to people older than 60 years, those who have hypertension, diabetes or are pregnant, regardless whether their jobs are considered essential," said Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell.

Mexico has one of the world's highest rates of both obesity and diabetes, and experts have recently sounded the alarm that its population could therefore be more vulnerable than its relatively young average age might suggest.

Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard, who announced the health emergency, said that people or companies who ignored the rules would face administrative or penal actions. The emergency would be in force until April 30, he said.

Unlike most regional peers, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has not ordered a lockdown or other drastic measures to control spread of the coronavirus due to concerns Mexico's already slumping economy would take an even bigger hit.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200331-me ... -top-1-000

Sertorio

Re: Is Mexico being led by a fool?

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 03, 2020 3:59 am

The attachment AMLO 3.JPG is no longer available
AMLO 3.JPG
AMLO 3.JPG (52.11 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

https://www.as-coa.org/articles/approva ... ident-amlo
Last edited by Sertorio on Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sertorio

Re: Is Mexico being led by a fool?

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 am

AMLO 2.JPG
AMLO 2.JPG (24.47 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun May 03, 2020 5:11 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:48 am

Mexico declared a health emergency on Monday and issued stricter rules aimed at containing the fast-spreading coronavirus after its number of cases surged past 1,000 and the death toll rose sharply.

Health officials reported a total of 1,094 cases of coronavirus, up from 993 a day earlier, and eight more deaths, taking the total to 28. They reiterated warnings that Mexico's health system could be overwhelmed if the coronavirus is not contained.

The new measures to fight the virus include a reduction of the number of people who can gather to 50 and an extension of a previously announced suspension of non-essential activities.

"This applies – strictly – to people older than 60 years, those who have hypertension, diabetes or are pregnant, regardless whether their jobs are considered essential," said Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell.

Mexico has one of the world's highest rates of both obesity and diabetes, and experts have recently sounded the alarm that its population could therefore be more vulnerable than its relatively young average age might suggest.

Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard, who announced the health emergency, said that people or companies who ignored the rules would face administrative or penal actions. The emergency would be in force until April 30, he said.

Unlike most regional peers, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has not ordered a lockdown or other drastic measures to control spread of the coronavirus due to concerns Mexico's already slumping economy would take an even bigger hit.

That report is over a month old.

Too little, too late?

Current report (3 days old as at 03/05/2020) is:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/mexico/

22088 cases, 2061 deaths (and still rising.)

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:48 am

That report is over a month old.

Too little, too late?

Current report (3 days old as at 03/05/2020) is:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/mexico/

22088 cases, 2061 deaths (and still rising.)
Interesting that you didn't think it worthwhile commenting on the fact that the President of Mexico has a 60% overall approval rate and a 73% approval in respect of the way he has been handling the coronavirus crisis. Does a nation's opinion mean so little to you?...

neverfail

Re: Public opinion is fallable.

Post by neverfail » Sun May 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 am

Interesting that you didn't think it worthwhile commenting on the fact that the President of Mexico has a 60% overall approval rate and a 73% approval in respect of the way he has been handling the coronavirus crisis. Does a nation's opinion mean so little to you?...
Public opinion shifts and changes with time in any country and is not always well informed. Presently, Trump attracts an approval rating approximating about one half of the US population. But wait until later this year as the combined effects of the COVID-19 pestilence and economic recession bite hard.

November 2020 Joe Biden might even be elected president by default. I cannot see him winning on the basis of merit. :(

Same rule applies to Mexico. Mexico City and other Mexican population centres are ringed by shantytown slums that resemble the notorious favellas of Brazil. You seem to agree with me that these crowded, fecund places are venues for out-of-control pandemic conditions. Likewise the urban barrios in Mexico.

It is hard to see just how those socially handicapped Latino republics could have averted the coming, tragic, pandemic cull of their populations. In the case of both Brazil and Mexico it might have helped (as in the case of the USA) had these two been blessed with political leadership who were able and willing to take the pandemic seriously from the start and acted accordingly.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 03, 2020 3:08 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Public opinion shifts and changes with time in any country and is not always well informed. Presently, Trump attracts an approval rating approximating about one half of the US population. But wait until later this year as the combined effects of the COVID-19 pestilence and economic recession bite hard.

November 2020 Joe Biden might even be elected president by default. I cannot see him winning on the basis of merit. :(

Same rule applies to Mexico. Mexico City and other Mexican population centres are ringed by shantytown slums that resemble the notorious favellas of Brazil. You seem to agree with me that these crowded, fecund places are venues for out-of-control pandemic conditions. Likewise the urban barrios in Mexico.

It is hard to see just how those socially handicapped Latino republics could have averted the coming, tragic, pandemic cull of their populations. In the case of both Brazil and Mexico it might have helped (as in the case of the USA) had these two been blessed with political leadership who were able and willing to take the pandemic seriously from the start and acted accordingly.
In other words, for your opinion about Mexico, the views of a mercenary are worth more than the opinion of the Mexican people... Not exactly what democracy is supposed to be all about...

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun May 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:08 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:

In other words, for your opinion about Mexico, the views of a mercenary are worth more than the opinion of the Mexican people... Not exactly what democracy is supposed to be all about...
I think you both have it wrong. The cases of both Brazil and Mexico there is no money for a decent health care system in normal times(But of course there is always $10 of billions for the world cup)

IE there is very little to be done in most of the third world. People are going to die no matter what the government does. The thing going for them is they tend to have younger populations. Which means fewer people per capita vunerable to the CCP virus.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun May 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:

Just because Manuel Suárez-Mier is currently employed as a professor at a prestigous American university does not necessarily make him a mercenary. I don't know the person and had never even heard about him before I read the first of his recent two reports on the state of his home country in the Asia Times. It seems to me that you are casting unkind aspersions on the reputation of someone you probably do not know in person either because he is trying to impart information that you do not want to know about.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:42 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Just because Manuel Suárez-Mier is currently employed as a professor at a prestigous American university does not necessarily make him a mercenary. I don't know the person and had never even heard about him before I read the first of his recent two reports on the state of his home country in the Asia Times. It seems to me that you are casting unkind aspersions on the reputation of someone you probably do not know in person either because he is trying to impart information that you do not want to know about.
Information?...To me it sounded like politically motivated propaganda...