Re: Is Mexico being led by a fool?

Post by cassowary » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:33 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 am
The destruction of Mexico’s institutions, economy and democracy under the inept and increasingly autocratic regime of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) has accelerated in the last few weeks with his incompetent management of the Covid-19 pandemic. The crisis is devastating Mexico with increasing strength, while he continues to deny facts and invent his own rosy scenario with a daily barrage of lies that raise questions over his mental health.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/04/mexicos-d ... celerates/
The writer is the typical South American who lives and works in the US and who parrots the American vision of things as if they were the Gospels. He teaches at the American University, in Washington DC. Some of his students comments are:
Rarely do I criticize professors, but in this case I can't help myself. Firstly, he belittled those who asked questions and routinely presented false information in class. Lectures were purely anecdotal and focused on himself presenting little to no information. It shows his study of economics ended sometime in the 1960's. Unprofessional and rude.
Professor is nice but the course isn't worth it. It doesn't really teach you anything and is more just an opportunity for people who already know a lot about Econ to show off. The readings don't correspond to what is discussed in class so even if you want to prepare you can't. If you actually want to learn things take a different professor
Great professor, extremely knowledgeable (if you like Econ at all, just talk to the guy about the topic: it's fantastic). Sometimes, however, a bit hard to follow in class. Still, just talk to him afterwards. This was a good experience (and if Chicago School means anything to the majors reading this, take him: he's a devotee).
Overall rating by students: 3.78 out of 5

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRa ... atingsList

I would say that his opinion of the present President of Mexico is bound to be very subjective... :(
Sertorio, it looks to me like you are trying to "play the man instead of playing the ball". Just because you dislike the stereotype of the turncoat Latino you have constructed around eassayist MANUEL SUÁREZ-MIER; does it necessarily follow that the man's bleak assessment of Mexico and its current government is necessarily WRONG?

As I see it government in Mexico looks good only if you compare it to the abysmal standards set by the central American republics immediately to Mexico's south.
Why is it that the closer to the equator you get, the more bum people become? Singapore excepted.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:28 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Why is it that the closer to the equator you get, the more bum people become? Singapore excepted.
Russia is close to the North Pole and far from the equator Cass; yet in that regard I believe that it is nothing to write home about either.

Is Russia another exception to your rule?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:56 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:52 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:26 pm

I have no opinion of the Mexican President. But I am inclined to doubt the objectivity of a Mexican at the service of the US on what concerns his assessment of a leftist Mexican head of state...
"No opinion?" Somewhat contradictory of you to claim that Sertorio. You identify President Obrador as a leftist Mexican head of state. Surely that counts as an opinion? :)

I would suggest that the fact that author MANUEL SUÁREZ-MIER is living in the United States (as an academic?) does not mean that he necessarily "at the service of the US" but rather that living in the midst of a foreign culture has challenged this man to reassess the basic assumptions that he had previously taken for granted in his home country - which might have even been originally a lot like your own. Among other things his appreciation of what constitutes good government has likely risen: good government as distinct from left wing government or right wing government.

(Umm... you are capable of making that distinction, arn't you Sertorio?)
I doubt that living in the US will have told Manuel Suarez-Mier a lot about good government... :roll:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:56 am
I doubt that living in the US will have told Manuel Suarez-Mier a lot about good government... :roll:
Well, I have my own opinion about that too Sertorio - but that is beside the poinht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coun ... (2019).png

Please take a look at this global map supplied by the Berlin based NGO Transparency international. Cassowary first drew my attention to it recently in the discussion titled Trump Wins.

The countries coloured green are the ones where public life is relatively free from corruption- the ones on the credit side of the ledger. As for the others beginning with yellow and descending down through various shades of brown to black, these mark the various shades and gradations of corruption and abuse of power that consume and degrade the conduct of public life in these countries.

Please note that while the USA is coloured the palest shade of green (about level with the likes of France, Spain and Portugal) the fact that it is coloured green at all still places the USA on the credit side of the freedom-from-corruption ledger.

By contrast, deeply on the debit side is Mexico. Coloured a deep cinnamon among the Latin American republics Mexico is an improvement only on Venezuela - currently the dregs at the very bottom of the barrel in terms of corruption and abuse of power in public life.

In summary, I would be inclined to give SUÁREZ-MIER the benefit of the doubt and assume that being either anti-Latino or even anti-left but is giving the thumbs down to palpably bad government.

neverfail

Re: Is Mexico being led by a fool? (continued)

Post by neverfail » Sat May 02, 2020 6:54 am

https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/amlo-star ... ion-derby/

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador likes to pose as a flowerpot but his crackpot policies are killing the nation
Donald Trump should complete that border fence as an urgent priority. It looks as though tens of millions of desperate Mexicans might soon be trying to swarm into the USA - in severe recession or not: conoravirus epidemic still raging or not.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 02, 2020 7:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:54 am

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador likes to pose as a flowerpot but his crackpot policies are killing the nation
Donald Trump should complete that border fence as an urgent priority. It looks as though tens of millions of desperate Mexicans might soon be trying to swarm into the USA - in severe recession or not: conoravirus epidemic still raging or not.
Manuel Suárez-Mier? Again? Can't you find a more reliable source of news/comments on Mexico? Or do you like being lied to?...

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:42 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:56 am
Well, I have my own opinion about that too Sertorio - but that is beside the poinht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coun ... (2019).png

Please take a look at this global map supplied by the Berlin based NGO Transparency international. Cassowary first drew my attention to it recently in the discussion titled Trump Wins.

Just a heads up about Transparency international. It is more or less an opinion poll of how corrupt people in a given country think their government is. Mexico is extremely corrupt. No doubt about that. However I suspect the impression people have of their own government in many developed countries is that it is much less honest than they think it is.

About ten year or so ago the EU was celebrating that it passed an anti-corruption law that made it illegal for EU citizens to bribe foreign officials. Europeans that I knew at the time were really crowing about how honest their governments were VS the US. Then when is pointed out to them that the US had the same anti-corruption law more or less since the 1970's they got quiet.

People in the US tend to look at a lot of things as corruption that people don't think of as corruption in other parts of the world.

India probably has the most broad definition of what is corruption. At least I seem to remember a scandal with Indra Ghandi where a few government secretaries were used in her election campaign. Compared to other places relatively minor, but it was a big scandal in India.

This is not to say that the corruption index is bad or that the US is a paragon of virtue. It is just to point out what it is.

The countries coloured green are the ones where public life is relatively free from corruption- the ones on the credit side of the ledger. As for the others beginning with yellow and descending down through various shades of brown to black, these mark the various shades and gradations of corruption and abuse of power that consume and degrade the conduct of public life in these countries.

Please note that while the USA is coloured the palest shade of green (about level with the likes of France, Spain and Portugal) the fact that it is coloured green at all still places the USA on the credit side of the freedom-from-corruption ledger.

By contrast, deeply on the debit side is Mexico. Coloured a deep cinnamon among the Latin American republics Mexico is an improvement only on Venezuela - currently the dregs at the very bottom of the barrel in terms of corruption and abuse of power in public life.

In summary, I would be inclined to give SUÁREZ-MIER the benefit of the doubt and assume that being either anti-Latino or even anti-left but is giving the thumbs down to palpably bad government.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:39 am
Manuel Suárez-Mier? Again? Can't you find a more reliable source of news/comments on Mexico? Or do you like being lied to?...

Manuel Suárez-Mier is a former Mexican central bank official, economic diplomat
and professor at Georgetown and American universities.

Given his formidable qualifications as a former "insider" involved in the management of the Mexico political economy then no; I confess that I have not found a more reliable source so far. Have you?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun May 03, 2020 12:55 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:39 am

Manuel Suárez-Mier is a former Mexican central bank official, economic diplomat
and professor at Georgetown and American universities.

Given his formidable qualifications as a former "insider" involved in the management of the Mexico political economy then no; I confess that I have not found a more reliable source so far. Have you?
As I have shown on a previous post, as an academic Manuel Suárez-Mier is not very much appreciated by his students. For the rest he is a man with an agenda, which is furthering the interests of the exploiters, both Mexican and American. His articles have only one objective: bad-mouthing the leftist President of Mexico and giving the impression he is a bad President. Which he definitely is for all those who used to exploit the Mexican people. I only regret that the two times you posted about Mexico, both were based on the same biased writer. Can't you find somebody else commenting on Mexico?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun May 03, 2020 3:13 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:55 am

As I have shown on a previous post, as an academic Manuel Suárez-Mier is not very much appreciated by his students. For the rest he is a man with an agenda, which is furthering the interests of the exploiters, both Mexican and American. His articles have only one objective: bad-mouthing the leftist President of Mexico and giving the impression he is a bad President. Which he definitely is for all those who used to exploit the Mexican people. I only regret that the two times you posted about Mexico, both were based on the same biased writer. Can't you find somebody else commenting on Mexico?
You are the one who wants to defend him Sertorio - so you should make a point of doing so. The latest Google reference I can find is dated March 28:

{quote]https://www.vox.com/2020/3/26/21193823/ ... ealth-care

Mexico’s coronavirus-skeptical president is setting up his country for a health crisis
Some doctors say Mexico could become the new Italy — or worse.[/quote]

This one seems to be as much a fool as President Jaor Bolsonaro of Brazil: who likewise dismisses Coronavirus in a cavalier fashion and has likewise not lifted a finger to prepare his country for it despite ample warnings from abroad.