Italy, Coronovirus and immigrants from Africa?

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: Italy, Coronovirus and immigrants from Africa?

Post by cassowary » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:24 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:13 pm
The Normans were invading Sicily before they invaded England in 1066. Ambitious empire builders.
Yes, I did read about that. Normans were the toughest people in the middle ages. They were kind of like the Israelis today. Originally from Scandinavia, they settled in Normandy. Then conquered South Italy, Sicily, Antioch. Of course their greatest conquest was England.
Why the Normans invaded and overran Sicily has a lot to do with chaotic conditions on the peninsula at the time. They were only able to do it within an environment of shifting alliances

In the case of England it was more straightforward. The Anglo Saxon king, Edward the Confessor, prominised the throne to Duke William and later got cold feet. He went on to favour his retainer Harold Godwin. After Edward's death the Witan (council of nobles) met and confirmed Godwin as King Harold. Of course Duke William felt that his trust had been betrayed and was outraged. No warlord ruler could be made to look like a fool in front of his subjects so William began to organise his planned invasion.

Now Cass, all of this might be incendentaslly interesting but still does not answer the question I asked at the start of this thread. In light of the pestilence in Italy are refugees and immigrants from Africa still attempting to cross from North Africa into the country?
If N Africa also has pestilence, they might think there is nothing much to lose. What is the situation in N Africa with regards to the Wuhan virus?
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:08 pm
Doc wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 am

IT is pretty well known that Italy initially was going to deny entry to anyone coming from China because of CCPOS-19 The CCP objected saying it was racist. Italy then stopped doing all checks of passengers arriving from China. A few weeks later the CCPOS banned entry into China of Italians.
Hi Doc.

It is not just the CCP that tries that ruse when they don't get their own way. I recall how some 20 years ago a group of long settled Chinese businessmen here wanted to build a clubhouse in our inner-city and the City Council rejected their plan because it violated the City planning code. So they alleged "racism" to see whether they could sway the city council into letting them do what they wanted. The city council refused to budge on the issue so the businessman just quietly accepted the ruling.

Thats the poinht Doc - they do that to test your resolve. It is turns out that you are strong in resolve they respect you for it.

I have long seen the Italians as very big on personality but not nearly so strong in character.
Which is why Trump needs to send more ships through the straights of Taiwan.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

uche africanus

Post by uche africanus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:08 am

Neverfail,

I think they have a significant reduction in the number of Africans seeking to migrate to ltaly or elsewhere in Europe. The fear of contracting Coronavirus from its epicenters of Italy and Spain is largely responsible for the reduction. African migrants are no doubt poor and seek employment wherever they can find it but they are not crazy. Those who emigrate do so because they want to find a way to make lives livable. They are not suicidal.

Even my friends in Nigeria who are medical professionals are even refusing to accept U S visas that the American embassies and consulates are offering to foreigners to come help them battle Coronavirus.

Things are different now. But l am certain that when Coronavirus subsides or goes away, the American visa will be sought by those who do not want to be poached from their countries now.

PS:

I find your observation of Italians to be accurate in comparison to my experiences with Italians.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:47 am

uche africanus wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:08 am
Neverfail,

I think they have a significant reduction in the number of Africans seeking to migrate to ltaly or elsewhere in Europe. The fear of contracting Coronavirus from its epicenters of Italy and Spain is largely responsible for the reduction. African migrants are no doubt poor and seek employment wherever they can find it but they are not crazy. Those who emigrate do so because they want to find a way to make lives livable. They are not suicidal.

Even my friends in Nigeria who are medical professionals are even refusing to accept U S visas that the American embassies and consulates are offering to foreigners to come help them battle Coronavirus.

Things are different now. But l am certain that when Coronavirus subsides or goes away, the American visa will be sought by those who do not want to be poached from their countries now.

PS:

I find your observation of Italians to be accurate in comparison to my experiences with Italians.
Thank you Uche Africanus - and welcome back to the website.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:44 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

uche africanus

Post by uche africanus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Thanks neverfail. I come and go from here in the tradition of exiles.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:00 pm

uche africanus wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:18 pm
Thanks neverfail. I come and go from here in the tradition of exiles.
An "exile"? What are you living in exile from Uche - or in this case have I intepreted the word too literally?