Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: I wish everybody safety in the midst of the Wuhan virus

Post by cassowary » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:19 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:05 am
How are you all keeping? Any stories to tell? We all have been together on this forum, many of us since the time of Spengler's forum. It feels like we are friends even though I have not met any of you. Keep safe and may God keep you safe.
thanks Cass! Nothing more I can say for now.
At your age you have to be extra careful. Take care my friend.
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:19 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
How are you all keeping? Any stories to tell? We all have been together on this forum, many of us since the time of Spengler's forum. It feels like we are friends even though I have not met any of you. Keep safe and may God keep you safe.
Running low on things other than basic food here. The grocery stores are half empty of products. People leaving with half empty carts. Not going to come anywhere near to starving. Just lots of rice as a filler. About three months worth.

I suspect the other side of this the economy will boom. Whenever that is.

Remember to wash your hands.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Re: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am

Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am
cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:31 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:39 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:19 pm
Finally a ray of hope.

Some doctors have reported that hydroxycholoroquine plus Zithromax Z-Pak are effective in treating covid 19 patients. In one small scale study, 100% of patients recovered in 3 to 6 days time.

These drugs are helping Covid 19 patients
Doctors in France, South Korea and the U.S. are using an antimalarial drug known as hydroxychloroquine with success.
It's being used on a trial basis in Portugal, too. But it's too early to say how successful it is.
How soon will we know?
I think they already have a good idea. The bureaucracy is the US is very slow on such things. But they are indicating that doctors can use it even though they are not specifically condoning its use. After thalidomide in Canada they are not going to stick their necks out. Even on thing that look very good without a complete CYA:
A 17 year old girl, here in Portugal, who had the virus and developed pneumonia, was treated with hydroxychloroquine - one tablet for seven days - and was completely cured, although she is still home recovering from the pneumonia. It may be an isolated case, but I guess it is actually effective in many cases.

Doc

Re: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am
Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am
cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:31 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:39 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:19 pm
Finally a ray of hope.

Some doctors have reported that hydroxycholoroquine plus Zithromax Z-Pak are effective in treating covid 19 patients. In one small scale study, 100% of patients recovered in 3 to 6 days time.

These drugs are helping Covid 19 patients
Doctors in France, South Korea and the U.S. are using an antimalarial drug known as hydroxychloroquine with success.
It's being used on a trial basis in Portugal, too. But it's too early to say how successful it is.
How soon will we know?
I think they already have a good idea. The bureaucracy is the US is very slow on such things. But they are indicating that doctors can use it even though they are not specifically condoning its use. After thalidomide in Canada they are not going to stick their necks out. Even on thing that look very good without a complete CYA:
A 17 year old girl, here in Portugal, who had the virus and developed pneumonia, was treated with hydroxychloroquine - one tablet for seven days - and was completely cured, although she is still home recovering from the pneumonia. It may be an isolated case, but I guess it is actually effective in many cases.
Sweden has a 16 year old

Seriously though the number to watch right now is for recoverys in NY. Trump gave NY enough doses of Chloroquine to treat almost 6,000 people Reports that there are report that most people recover in 3 days when using it plus another med. If that is true and teh state of NY uses what it has in 3 to 5 days the number of recoverys should reflect that. (More than 5k less then 10k) The numbers should jump quickly say within one day. Right now the number for the whole US is 333. There is a lot of propaganda about this drug. Trump said it offers hope and the MSM is doing their standard Orange Man Bad schtick and is lying as per usual.

Without anti-virals being found this isn't going away anytime soon.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Running low on things other than basic food here. The grocery stores are half empty of products. People leaving with half empty carts. Not going to come anywhere near to starving. Just lots of rice as a filler. About three months worth.

I am OK. We stocked up on food lasting 2 weeks. My daughter is a doctor. She is working on the frontline treating covid 19 patients. Our government asked Singapore students studying overseas to return.

They were given court orders to self quarantine at home for two weeks. One got bored and went to the disco. After that, all had to be quarantined in hotels. There is still no lock-down but I expect one to come. Most infections are imported cases.

My boys are working in London, the eye of the storm.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 am
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

I am OK. We stocked up on food lasting 2 weeks. My daughter is a doctor. She is working on the frontline treating covid 19 patients. Our government asked Singapore students studying overseas to return.

They were given court orders to self quarantine at home for two weeks. One got bored and went to the disco. After that, all had to be quarantined in hotels. There is still no lock-down but I expect one to come. Most infections are imported cases.

I just saw the prince Charles tested positive. I give the lock down two months max. Then miracle anti-viral or not people are going to give it up.

This is just going to come down to a roll of the dice.

cassowary

Oxford study: Virus spread to half of British population

Post by cassowary » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:29 am
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

I just saw the prince Charles tested positive. I give the lock down two months max. Then miracle anti-viral or not people are going to give it up.

This is just going to come down to a roll of the dice.
Half of British people infected?
Because testing regimens across the world have varied tremendously, the actual mortality and hospitalization rates of COVID-19 have been hard to pin down. But modeling by researchers at the University of Oxford could provide some welcome good news, even if the initial takeaway doesn’t seem so promising. According to hypothetical modeling from Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease lab, half of the population of the United Kingdom may have already been infected with the coronavirus. If this modeling is confirmed in follow-up studies, that a minuscule number of those infected require hospital treatment, with a majority showing very minor symptoms, or none at all.
This is probably true. If Prince Charles can get infected, then a lot of people have already been infected. This is actually good news. It means that the disease is not so life threatening.

Sertorio

Re: Oxford study: Virus spread to half of British population

Post by Sertorio » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:59 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 pm
Because testing regimens across the world have varied tremendously, the actual mortality and hospitalization rates of COVID-19 have been hard to pin down. But modeling by researchers at the University of Oxford could provide some welcome good news, even if the initial takeaway doesn’t seem so promising. According to hypothetical modeling from Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease lab, half of the population of the United Kingdom may have already been infected with the coronavirus. If this modeling is confirmed in follow-up studies, that a minuscule number of those infected require hospital treatment, with a majority showing very minor symptoms, or none at all.
This is probably true. If Prince Charles can get infected, then a lot of people have already been infected. This is actually good news. It means that the disease is not so life threatening.
The question has never been if Covid 19 is a threat to our collective survival. It isn't. The question is whether we want to protect our elderly and sick or not. Lockdown is not meant to protect the lives of the younger and healthier people, but to protect the old and infirm. And the price we are paying is a severe economic downturn. We are paying the price of being (relatively) civilized...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:23 am

This scientist suggested a drug to treat Covid-19. 'Fact checkers' branded him fake news
by Nebojsa Malic - 26 Mar, 2020

Amid a pandemic panic over the coronavirus, evidence for a possibly effective treatment has been denounced as ‘fake news’ – even when offered by a renowned scientist with decades of experience.

Take Didier Raoult, a French microbiologist with undeniable expertise, even if some of his views are about as eccentric as his appearance. Though he may look like he just stepped out of an Alexandre Dumas novel, the director of the Mediterranean University Hospital Institute in Marseille cited not one but three different studies from China showing that the anti-malaria drug called chloroquine has been effective in treating Covid-19 patients.

That did not stop Le Monde, France’s biggest newspaper, of declaring his February 25 video as “partially false.” Raoult’s 'sin' was to argue that the common anti-malaria drug used widely for decades resulted in “dramatic improvements” among those afflicted by the virus.

As a result of Le Monde’s fact-check, anyone attempting to share Dr. Raoult’s videos on Facebook gets a banner saying the information therein was “partially false” as “determined by independent fact-checkers.”

The main argument put forward by those critical of the drug is that more testing is required before it can be officially approved as treatment for the coronavirus. As the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) puts it, “There are no currently available data from Randomized Clinical Trials…to inform clinical guidance on the use, dosing, or duration of hydroxychloroquine” treatments for Covid-19.

Which is fair enough, but last time I checked, there was a pandemic going on, with billions of people locked in their homes and all business grinding to a halt across the globe, over apocalyptic predictions of hospitals brimming with corpses due to this coronavirus.

Should any kind of treatment – especially a drug that has been used safely for decades to treat something else, with side effects meticulously documented – be so cavalierly rejected, under the circumstances? Do “experts” really think the world has the luxury of waiting for months or even years for their controlled lab studies?

As for the fact-checkers, shouldn’t they have applied the same rigor to the models used to scare everyone into hoarding toilet paper and setting off a depression orders of magnitude worse than anything the world has ever seen?

To ask these questions is to answer them, yet no one seems to bother. Nor is this sort of selective blindness endemic to France; across the Atlantic, the mainstream media raised their voices in unison against chloroquine after US President Donald Trump brought it up as a possible treatment – apparently referring to Dr. Raoult’s work.

They went so far as to widely circulate a deliberately misleading story about an Arizona couple that ate fish tank cleaner – chloroquine phosphate, clearly labeled not for human consumption – as somehow Trump’s fault. Some of them quietly amended it to specify the difference, but long after the original story – implying they took the actual medication praised by the president – literally went viral and poisoned the minds of millions.

Worse yet, as a result of this media blitz, the governor of Nevada actually banned using chloroquine to treat Covid-19 patients this week, saying there was “no consensus among experts or Nevada doctors” that the anti-malaria drug can treat coronavirus sufferers. There were no angry editorials denouncing Steve Sisolak, a Democrat, for letting people die or the coronavirus rather than have them treated with a drug endorsed by the Republican president and the media’s favorite hate object.

One would think the world paralyzed with fear of the invisible death would pounce on every possible solution, no matter how unlikely it seems. That’s what we’re shown in Hollywood disaster movies, after all. Yet when such a solution presents itself, it is dismissed and denounced as “not proven”!

We’re supposed to blindly trust apocalyptic models produced by panic-mongering political hacks, but ignore the man who says the drug brought him back from the brink of death, even though his story can be easily verified and theirs cannot.

“Preferring opinions to facts is a disease,” Dr. Raoult told the French magazine Marianne last week. Just so.

I don’t know if hydroxychloroquine works on Covid-19. Dr. Raoult seems to believe so, and he’s not alone. In the absence of better solutions – and locking billions of people in their homes indefinitely is not one – don’t we owe humanity to at least try? What do we have to lose?

In the three months or so since the coronavirus first appeared in China, there has been a lot of conflicting, confusing and outright false information about it. One thing that has consistently proven true, however, is that the biggest obstacle in effectively battling its spread and treating the afflicted has been the obtuse insistence of the political and medical establishment on blindly following their rules. If the virus is truly threatening to kill millions, as they say, they would not value procedures over saving lives. Nevertheless, they persist. It makes one wonder why.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/484102-raoult- ... treatment/
I tried to buy it from our local pharmacy but I couldn't because I needed a prescription. As a soldier in Africa I took chloroquine for quite sometime, without any problems, so I feel I can take the decision of taking it now on my own, if I develop the coronavirus symptoms. But the "system" prevents me doing so. If I die because of this, nobody will give a damn... Not even Cass... :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 am

cassowary wrote:

May God protect you and your entire family Cassowary. Such is my prayer.