Re: "S--t Happens!..."

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:06 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 pm
The hoarding of TP seems to be driven by peer pressure and the opinions of your immediate social network, including family. If you have an aunt and uncle, say, in Biloxi and they're of a certain prepper mentality and you have to listen to them and suffer their judgement, you're gonna give them more credence than some CDC talking head on the flat screen.......

People disassociate need from want. For any crisis, you gotta get TP. Any other lack you can compensate for but not TP....... and bread.......

I've cleaned in houses where the basement bathroom closet is full TP, enough to gratify the Great Cornholio, and they still buy it on a regular basis. They responded to that moment of emotional insecurity and it's forgotten after that. I've seen 7 and 10 cubic foot freezers filled with food including bread (because you can freeze anything. You can't really, but you can freeze anything..... ;).....) and the food is seven years out of date and you're spending six buxx a month on electricity for something you don't need, but it served its purpose. You've appeased that feeling of insecurity by doing something, you've ticked that box in your head and you've filed that away in a dusty place in your amygdala and it's over....'>.....
I had some trouble just this afternoon buying dog and cat food.
On my latest visit to the supermarket - last tuesday - there was no meat at all, no potatoes and no onions, but quite enough toilet paper... :D

Our condolences, Sertorio. We're short on those essentials over here, also. But beer is available here, as is, I presume over there, the excellent Portuguese wine.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 pm
The hoarding of TP seems to be driven by peer pressure and the opinions of your immediate social network, including family. If you have an aunt and uncle, say, in Biloxi and they're of a certain prepper mentality and you have to listen to them and suffer their judgement, you're gonna give them more credence than some CDC talking head on the flat screen.......

People disassociate need from want. For any crisis, you gotta get TP. Any other lack you can compensate for but not TP....... and bread.......

I've cleaned in houses where the basement bathroom closet is full TP, enough to gratify the Great Cornholio, and they still buy it on a regular basis. They responded to that moment of emotional insecurity and it's forgotten after that. I've seen 7 and 10 cubic foot freezers filled with food including bread (because you can freeze anything. You can't really, but you can freeze anything..... ;).....) and the food is seven years out of date and you're spending six buxx a month on electricity for something you don't need, but it served its purpose. You've appeased that feeling of insecurity by doing something, you've ticked that box in your head and you've filed that away in a dusty place in your amygdala and it's over....'>.....
I had some trouble just this afternoon buying dog and cat food.
On my latest visit to the supermarket - last tuesday - there was no meat at all, no potatoes and no onions, but quite enough toilet paper... :D
Go early. Be there when they open. Here at least there seems to be a lot of selection then while later the shelves get a little bare.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 am
Go early. Be there when they open. Here at least there seems to be a lot of selection then while later the shelves get a little bare.
My neighbour went early to buy cat food and people were mobbing the paper goods aisle for TP and purchases were limited to two items per shopper. This wave was probably a reaction to the first wave and it may have to happen a couple times more with decreasing amplitude until things get to normal.....
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:00 am

Do you know, Sertorio, whwther tiolet paper is manufactured in Portugal or is this a product you need to import from abroad?
We have a large paper industry and toilet paper is produced locally. Maybe we could trade it for meat and potatoes... :D
[/quote]

Thanks Sertorio for reply.

Until now I had not mentally pictured Portugal as a land with sufficient forest cover left to sustain paper mills. So you have educated me a little.

Sertorio; not wishing to arouse envy: but Australia annually produces approximately three times the amount of food needed to sustain our globally small population of just 25m million. The surplus has to find overseas export markets.

That's right! Whereas in the likes of the EU and the USA agriculture seems to be geared up to produce predominantly for the domestic market and treats food exports as "icing on top of the cake"; here in Australia ther priorities are in reverse. For Australian agriculture the world export market is the cake and domestic consumption the icing.

Since our terrestial domain incorporates a range of regional climate zones our agriculture can produce everything from the likes of cashew nuts and gourmet grade cocoa in our sub-equarorial far north right down to apples, hops and barley along our southern edge.

Highly unlikely that a country like this will ever go hungry.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:59 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 am
Doc wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 am
My neighbour went early to buy cat food and people were mobbing the paper goods aisle for TP and purchases were limited to two items per shopper. This wave was probably a reaction to the first wave and it may have to happen a couple times more with decreasing amplitude until things get to normal.....
OR people realize they can't eat toilet paper......
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros