"S--t Happens!..."

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

"S--t Happens!..."

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:57 am

Panic Buying: Why Has Coronavirus Pandemic Turned People Into Toilet Paper Hoarders?

People around the world are feverishly stockpiling toilet paper amid the COVID-19 outbreak. International experts in psychology have attempted to explain why the commodity has unexpectedly turned into a hot item.

The coronavirus outbreak, which is continuing to gain pace around the world, has not only cut off global supply chains, nixed international travel and sent large-cap stock benchmarks low but also wiped out retail shelves with toilet paper being the top selling item.

While the high demand for hand sanitisers, medical face masks, and disinfecting wipes is at least somehow understandable given that the virus is characterised by a runny nose, sore throat, and a cough as initial symptoms, there is no clear explanation for the mysterious disappearance of toilet paper from the shelves in China, Britain, Australia, the US, and elsewhere. Meanwhile, the media say that the recent trend has already forced stores to limit purchases of the much needed item.

The reports of toilet paper shortages have triggered a lot of memes on social media but fell short of answering the question as to what is behind buyers' behaviour.

​According to Andy Yap, a professor of organisational behaviour at the Singapore campus of the INSEAD business school, COVID-19 "threatens our sense of control, which led to similar patterns of panic buying all over the world". It is "control deprivation" that leads people to look "for some illusory patterns" and force them to feverishly buy toilet paper.

​The professor notes that one should not underestimate the influence of social media with vivid images and videos featuring panic buying of toilet rolls. When one sees those images, one feels the need to engage in the very same behaviour, he explains.

(...)

https://sputniknews.com/analysis/202003 ... -hoarders/

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Doc

Re: "S--t Happens!..."

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:57 am
Panic Buying: Why Has Coronavirus Pandemic Turned People Into Toilet Paper Hoarders?

People around the world are feverishly stockpiling toilet paper amid the COVID-19 outbreak. International experts in psychology have attempted to explain why the commodity has unexpectedly turned into a hot item.

The coronavirus outbreak, which is continuing to gain pace around the world, has not only cut off global supply chains, nixed international travel and sent large-cap stock benchmarks low but also wiped out retail shelves with toilet paper being the top selling item.

While the high demand for hand sanitisers, medical face masks, and disinfecting wipes is at least somehow understandable given that the virus is characterised by a runny nose, sore throat, and a cough as initial symptoms, there is no clear explanation for the mysterious disappearance of toilet paper from the shelves in China, Britain, Australia, the US, and elsewhere. Meanwhile, the media say that the recent trend has already forced stores to limit purchases of the much needed item.

The reports of toilet paper shortages have triggered a lot of memes on social media but fell short of answering the question as to what is behind buyers' behaviour.

​According to Andy Yap, a professor of organisational behaviour at the Singapore campus of the INSEAD business school, COVID-19 "threatens our sense of control, which led to similar patterns of panic buying all over the world". It is "control deprivation" that leads people to look "for some illusory patterns" and force them to feverishly buy toilet paper.

​The professor notes that one should not underestimate the influence of social media with vivid images and videos featuring panic buying of toilet rolls. When one sees those images, one feels the need to engage in the very same behaviour, he explains.

(...)

https://sputniknews.com/analysis/202003 ... -hoarders/

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You would think they would just buy newspapers.

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/20 ... pages.html

Coronavirus-induced shortage of toilet paper prompts Australian newspaper to print extra blank pages
Updated Mar 12, 2020; Posted Mar 12, 2020
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 pm

Coronavirus-induced shortage of toilet paper prompts Australian newspaper to print extra blank pages
No excuse for a run on toilet paper out here. We manufacture the stuff locally.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:25 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 pm

No excuse for a run on toilet paper out here. We manufacture the stuff locally.
Maybe it is just a bunch of kids that want to TP their neighbor's houses
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:37 am

Russian kite surfing champion Peter Tyushkevich laughed off his coronavirus diagnosis, saying he has enough toilet paper to recover from the dangerous infection.

:lol:

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 pm

The hoarding of TP seems to be driven by peer pressure and the opinions of your immediate social network, including family. If you have an aunt and uncle, say, in Biloxi and they're of a certain prepper mentality and you have to listen to them and suffer their judgement, you're gonna give them more credence than some CDC talking head on the flat screen.......

People disassociate need from want. For any crisis, you gotta get TP. Any other lack you can compensate for but not TP....... and bread.......

I've cleaned in houses where the basement bathroom closet is full TP, enough to gratify the Great Cornholio, and they still buy it on a regular basis. They responded to that moment of emotional insecurity and it's forgotten after that. I've seen 7 and 10 cubic foot freezers filled with food including bread (because you can freeze anything. You can't really, but you can freeze anything..... ;).....) and the food is seven years out of date and you're spending six buxx a month on electricity for something you don't need, but it served its purpose. You've appeased that feeling of insecurity by doing something, you've ticked that box in your head and you've filed that away in a dusty place in your amygdala and it's over....'>.....
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 pm
The hoarding of TP seems to be driven by peer pressure and the opinions of your immediate social network, including family. If you have an aunt and uncle, say, in Biloxi and they're of a certain prepper mentality and you have to listen to them and suffer their judgement, you're gonna give them more credence than some CDC talking head on the flat screen.......

People disassociate need from want. For any crisis, you gotta get TP. Any other lack you can compensate for but not TP....... and bread.......

I've cleaned in houses where the basement bathroom closet is full TP, enough to gratify the Great Cornholio, and they still buy it on a regular basis. They responded to that moment of emotional insecurity and it's forgotten after that. I've seen 7 and 10 cubic foot freezers filled with food including bread (because you can freeze anything. You can't really, but you can freeze anything..... ;).....) and the food is seven years out of date and you're spending six buxx a month on electricity for something you don't need, but it served its purpose. You've appeased that feeling of insecurity by doing something, you've ticked that box in your head and you've filed that away in a dusty place in your amygdala and it's over....'>.....
I had some trouble just this afternoon buying dog and cat food.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

On my latest visit to the supermarket - last tuesday - there was no meat at all, no potatoes and no onions, but quite enough toilet paper... :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am
neverfail wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

On my latest visit to the supermarket - last tuesday - there was no meat at all, no potatoes and no onions, but quite enough toilet paper... :D
Well, you appear worse off than we here. While there is often less meat on the shelves than usual you can still usually buy what you need and potatoes and onions are still in good supply.

Do you know, Sertorio, whwther tiolet paper is manufactured in Portugal or is this a product you need to import from abroad?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:00 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am
neverfail wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

Well, you appear worse off than we here. While there is often less meat on the shelves than usual you can still usually buy what you need and potatoes and onions are still in good supply.

Do you know, Sertorio, whwther tiolet paper is manufactured in Portugal or is this a product you need to import from abroad?
We have a large paper industry and toilet paper is produced locally. Maybe we could trade it for meat and potatoes... :D