Discussion of current events
Doc

Re: Crash?

Post by Doc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:51 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:34 pm
Doc wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:06 am
I suppose they are just punishing Putin for interfering in our elections. OR maybe Putin is doing it to support the green new deal. Or maybe he is just angry about Bernie getting shafted.
All idle speculation Doc - steeped in the fasle supposition that the USA is the only show in town?
Actually it was mostly a joke. Just because the turks took out 100 Russian made Syrian tanks out of 100 shots doesn't mean Putin was humiliated. It just means Putin does not dare to get in a war with Turkey at this time.

The Saudi Arabian king tried to tell Putin that Russia needs to cut back on production in unison with Saudi Arabia in order to bring supply back into allignment with demand and Putin as much as told him "up yours, raghead!". So the Saudi king as much as replied "well, I will show you - our production costs are cheaper than yours!" and ordered the oil rockers to work overtime for the purpose of bankrupting the Russian Federation.
Yeap. Can anyone spare a third world dictator down on his luck a dime?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:30 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:49 pm
Is it time for me to coin the phrase “Trump slump”?
Why not? He is bound to attract the blame.
Especially when #nevertrumpers finally have a memeable phrase. Here's Newsday's take on it:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/col ... 1.42671957
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:30 pm
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:
Especially when #nevertrumpers finally have a memeable phrase. Here's Newsday's take on it:

Live by the word, die by the word.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Considering the very same people that are now screaming Trump Slump all over social media were a month ago screaming "Trump is a racist !! " for restricting travel from China says a lot about "#trumpSlump"

When Italy decided to restrict trade with China the CCP pressured the Italian government not to do it. So the Italian government backed off...

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 am
Milo wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Considering the very same people that are now screaming Trump Slump all over social media were a month ago screaming "Trump is a racist !! " for restricting travel from China says a lot about "#trumpSlump"

When Italy decided to restrict trade with China the CCP pressured the Italian government not to do it. So the Italian government backed off...

Yes Doc, "the very same people"!

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

It doesn't matter what Trump does for the Dem establishment and the MSM Orange man bad.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
neverfail wrote:

It doesn't matter what Trump does for the Dem establishment and the MSM Orange man bad.

To put it more plainly, if you say "Trump bump" you opened the door for "Trump slump".

Feel that? It's your own petard hoisting you.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am

Doc wrote:

If I were the President of the EU Commission I would ship back to the US all American military personnel in Europe, in order to protect them from infection with the coronavirus as the result of our incompetence... :lol:

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

To put it more plainly, if you say "Trump bump" you opened the door for "Trump slump".

Feel that? It's your own petard hoisting you.
Its a silly point you are trying to make Milo. It certainly won't change anyone's mind.

Kind of like a politician telling a voter they are "full of sh*t" It doesn't get you any votes.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Oil price collapse beyond any government’s control

The plunge in the global oil price won’t affect all economies in the same way

With no agreement between OPEC and non-OPEC states, Saudi Arabia did the same thing as in 2014 – it launched a price war by boosting production and discounting its product to Asian and European economies to grab market share.

The Saudis are able to undertake this aggressive push because production costs are low in the kingdom. The cost of producing and transporting a barrel of oil in Saudi Arabia (and other Arab Gulf states) is less than $10. In Russia, it is $30. In the US, it is closer to $50.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/oil-price ... s-control/
Obviously, the US cannot produce oil profitably as long as the global oil price remains at its current low.

I believe that the US shale oil industry is heavily indebted. If it cannot produce oil profitably then obviously it cannot meet it's debt repayment obligations. Very likely whole sections will go bankrupt.

But so what?

Even if the indebted firms are foreclosed upon by their creditors the oil will be still there in the ground and the pumps and delivery infrastructure w8ill still be their intact awaiting the arrival of higher prices when it will be cost-effective profitable for the US to produce again (under a set of new owners).

Meanwhile the US will have the option of importing as much cheap oil from abroad as it needs for its recessed economy at lower prices.

Why not keep your own oil in the ground for when you really need it when you can live off someone elses" oil more cheaply?

Indeed, the re-entry of the US into the global oil market as a major importer will have the benefical effect of pushing world prices back up towards the magic $50 per barrel break-even mark regardless of the wishes of the Saudis and the Russians in the matter.