Dick's CEO: "The Retail Industry Is In Panic Mode"

Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: Dick's CEO: "The Retail Industry Is In Panic Mode"

Post by Milo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 pm
Maybe retail isn't doing so well not because people are buying more online, it's because they aren't buying as much, period.........
We know from September retail sales that Americans are spending less money on restaurants McDonald’s is the bellwether and it isn’t doing so well. Netflix is doing well, which means that Americans aren’t buying homes or cars, and they aren’t eating out, but they are spending more on Netflix and chill, the proverbial cheapest date. And they are spending more on electronic entertainment.
http://www.atimes.com/article/lopsided- ... he-leader/
I agree, but I am not sure as to chicken and egg.

On a previous iteration of this board I posted about the massive device consolidation, most notable in smart phones.

Why would anyone, other than a handful of professionals; buy cameras, audio recorders or GPS now?

Why eat out when tech makes delivery so easy?

I don't even have a TV, because I have a 12'' iPad and Airpods!

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:22 pm

This is a pretty weird thread.

1) Retail spaces closing down is not indicative of a failing US economy. The economy is going at a record pace under Republicans. This phenomenon is about the historic rise of Amazon/Bezos, perhaps the most successful American business of all time.

2) What continues to astonish me is how Amazon has crushed their competition over the last 20 years. Literally dozens of other major companies could have done what they did. In 2018 the Amazon page is the only usable retail commerce page on the internet. It blows my mind.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:22 pm
This is a pretty weird thread.

1) Retail spaces closing down is not indicative of a failing US economy. The economy is going at a record pace under Republicans. This phenomenon is about the historic rise of Amazon/Bezos, perhaps the most successful American business of all time.

2) What continues to astonish me is how Amazon has crushed their competition over the last 20 years. Literally dozens of other major companies could have done what they did. In 2018 the Amazon page is the only usable retail commerce page on the internet. It blows my mind.
All of the above.

But IMO the real genius of Bezos is convincing people that he is in the sales business when he is really in the web services business,
In 2016 Q1, revenue was $2.57 billion with net income of $604 million, a 64% increase over 2015 Q1 that resulted in AWS being more profitable than Amazon's North American retail business for the first time.[26] In the first quarter of 2016, Amazon experienced a 42% rise in stock value as a result of increased earnings, of which AWS contributed 56% to corporate profits.[27][28]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_We ... fitability

so he can really be in the data business.
Anticipatory shipping may be closest that retail can come to a crystal ball. Amazon, which now has a patent for the algorithm-based system, could conceivably use the system to ship products before you even place an order.

Amazon filed for the patent, officially known as “method and system for anticipatory package shipping,” in 2012, and it was awarded on Christmas Eve of the following year. The patent summary describes a method for shipping a package of one or more items “to the destination geographical area without completely specifying the delivery address at time of shipment,” with the final destination defined en route.
https://www.predictiveanalyticsworld.co ... y-it/3185/

I could bought this for $17 a share! Oh well...

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:13 pm

What blows me away is how many people have forgotten that Amazon started out as a bookseller, then decided to sell you anything you want to buy, from screws and nails to data. You want to buy it they will sell it to you.

Literally a hundred other companies could have done what Bezos did, none had the interest. It will be studied for a century.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:17 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:13 pm
What blows me away is how many people have forgotten that Amazon started out as a bookseller, then decided to sell you anything you want to buy, from screws and nails to data. You want to buy it they will sell it to you.

Literally a hundred other companies could have done what Bezos did, none had the interest. It will be studied for a century.
Bezos set up in Arkansas in order to steal employees away from Walmart. Amazon also advertised products it did not sell on Amazon to get people to go to Amazon even if it was just to link to a site advertised on Google. Google never figured that out. Walmart did figure it out a sued Amazon, but as I recall to no avail.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Ok, but any number of companies could have done the same thing but didn't.

After 20 years Amazon still has the best web interface on the planet, the others sometimes don't look like they are currently active.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pm
Ok, but any number of companies could have done the same thing but didn't.
For example Sears, which is about to stop existing altogether as a result of their failure to adapt.
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pm
After 20 years Amazon still has the best web interface on the planet, the others sometimes don't look like they are currently active.
Agreed. They're done many, many things well that others did poorly or not at all.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 am

Lowe’s closing 31 Canadian stores and other locations, 20 stores in U.S.
New Chief Executive Officer Marvin Ellison began a restructuring after taking over in July and has said he was reviewing its real estate portfolio, promising to remove slow-selling products and end unsuccessful ventures.
https://business.financialpost.com/news ... u-s-canada

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Black Friday has become a 'ghost town' for Sears as the retailer tries to make it through to another holiday season

The pictures must be very hard to look at if you work there!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/23/black-f ... vival.html

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:45 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm
Black Friday has become a 'ghost town' for Sears as the retailer tries to make it through to another holiday season

The pictures must be very hard to look at if you work there!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/23/black-f ... vival.html
Sears has been on the down and out for 30 years. Walmart was killing Sears before the internet. I remember back in the 90's reading how Sam Walton could look up with in 90 minutes of the last Walmart closing for the day how many of any specific item carried in all 2000 stores was sold that day. At that time it took Sears 6 weeks to know the same thing about its stores.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros