Re: Dick's CEO: "The Retail Industry Is In Panic Mode"

Post by Milo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:23 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:25 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 pm
With less military spending, maybe there would be money to revive the economy... But I guess performing genocide in North Korea or bombing civilians in Syria is the right way to fuflfill "America First!..." Why do you guys in the US put up with this? Wouldn't it be time to put the right to bear arms to its proper use?... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
American retail stores aren't dying because people aren't buying things, they're dying because people are buying things online instead.
Bottom feeding. High level of private debt means that household budgets are tight.

Amazon = the last steer drinking from the shrinking pool of water in the middle of the desert defore solar heat exhausts that supply.
But the deals!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:23 pm
neverfail wrote:

Bottom feeding. High level of private debt means that household budgets are tight.

Amazon = the last steer drinking from the shrinking pool of water in the middle of the desert defore solar heat exhausts that supply.
But the deals!
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Huh?

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

But the deals!

Huh?
I don't know how far Amazon has gotten in Australia yet but these days in Canada I get better deals on most products than I can get at any store, and delivered to my door! I save an enormous amount of time too.

Retail isn't dead but it has to compete with that.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

But the deals!

Huh?
I don't know how far Amazon has gotten in Australia yet but these days in Canada I get better deals on most products than I can get at any store, and delivered to my door! I save an enormous amount of time too.

I understand better now Milo. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Yep, Amazon has established a warehouse/depot here in Australia over the past year and are similarly now doing increased business out here also. It shall likewise make inroads into our retail sector too but because they have established their local supply source so recently they have yet to make the same inroads here as they obviously have over in North America by now. The Australian warehouse/despatch centre allows speedy delivery from orders within Australia. Formerly, slower delivery from and high delivery costs from America deterred Australian usage of amazon.com giving traditional Australian retail outlets some protection.

The point I made is that since American real wages have not risen in years (even in decades) and as a consequence living standards have been maintained only by accumulating a high per capita level of private debt (encouraged by years of very low interest rates) it still means that middle (and working) class American society by now would have little by way of discretionary spending power available to it - a dilemma which rising interest rates is about to make far worse.

Amazon.com is neither the cause of the coming crash nor the solution to it. Bankruptcies in the broad US retail sector including old, long established, brand names are like the proverbial canary down the coal mine - and the canary is dying - indicating that all is not well in the broad national economy. Online bargain shopping is currently only speeding up the decline of traditional retail shopping.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 am

Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 pm
With less military spending, maybe there would be money to revive the economy... But I guess performing genocide in North Korea or bombing civilians in Syria is the right way to fuflfill "America First!..." Why do you guys in the US put up with this? Wouldn't it be time to put the right to bear arms to its proper use?... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
American retail stores aren't dying because people aren't buying things, they're dying because people are buying things online instead.

But the deals!
Yes, the deals. My two youngest sons, college technology majors, think their old man is daffy buying anything but take-out pizza locally. Large savings from Amazon, Newegg, etc. back up their views.

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:10 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

But the deals!

Huh?

I understand better now Milo. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Yep, Amazon has established a warehouse/depot here in Australia over the past year and are similarly now doing increased business out here also. It shall likewise make inroads into our retail sector too but because they have established their local supply source so recently they have yet to make the same inroads here as they obviously have over in North America by now. The Australian warehouse/despatch centre allows speedy delivery from orders within Australia. Formerly, slower delivery from and high delivery costs from America deterred Australian usage of amazon.com giving traditional Australian retail outlets some protection.

The point I made is that since American real wages have not risen in years (even in decades) and as a consequence living standards have been maintained only by accumulating a high per capita level of private debt (encouraged by years of very low interest rates) it still means that middle (and working) class American society by now would have little by way of discretionary spending power available to it - a dilemma which rising interest rates is about to make far worse.

Amazon.com is neither the cause of the coming crash nor the solution to it. Bankruptcies in the broad US retail sector including old, long established, brand names are like the proverbial canary down the coal mine - and the canary is dying - indicating that all is not well in the broad national economy. Online bargain shopping is currently only speeding up the decline of traditional retail shopping.
In general I agree but I will share some speculation.

Could this be the beginning of the Star Trek universe?

In ST, particularly STOS, it's not that people make more, it's that technology can make almost anything so cheap that there is no poverty.

Amazon may not be a replicator, powered by matter antimatter reaction, but it is drastically reducing prices using a combination of technologies: robotics, internet and soon autonomous vehicles.

The Internet has drastically reduced my communications and entertainment costs too.

I see this as a trend that will neither reverse, nor slow down. I think the only question is how quickly it makes an impact for those who need it most.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 am
3D printers aren't anywhere close to Star Trek's replicators, but you're right that as technology advances,

Adjusting for inflation, I can buy a new Chevy Cruze (subcompact) for the same price for which a Yugo sold in 1986, but the safety improvements and overall quality is tremendously better than that infamous Serbo-Croatian lemon.

This article is instructive: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151 ... e-tv.shtml

It's interesting how the one thing that isn't getting cheaper in real terms is the one thing that's a government-regulated monopoly, whereas the others endure market competition.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am
Milo wrote:
3D printers aren't anywhere close to Star Trek's replicators, but you're right that as technology advances,

Adjusting for inflation, I can buy a new Chevy Cruze (subcompact) for the same price for which a Yugo sold in 1986, but the safety improvements and overall quality is tremendously better than that infamous Serbo-Croatian lemon.

This article is instructive: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151 ... e-tv.shtml

It's interesting how the one thing that isn't getting cheaper in real terms is the one thing that's a government-regulated monopoly, whereas the others endure market competition.
Speaking for myself, I just buy Internet service and pay for three streaming services, one of which is Amazon Prime, so I don't pay for it directly. I don't plan to renew one of those streaming services once it runs out. Overall, cheaper than it used to be.

In Canada our CRTC isn't what it used to be but it is not a plaything for the cable companies yet.

Still I agree, the incumbent oligopolies up here are a rip off too. I used to work for one, so I know that even better than most!

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am
Milo wrote:

Speaking for myself, I just buy Internet service and pay for three streaming services, one of which is Amazon Prime, so I don't pay for it directly. I don't plan to renew one of those streaming services once it runs out. Overall, cheaper than it used to be.

In Canada our CRTC isn't what it used to be but it is not a plaything for the cable companies yet.

Still I agree, the incumbent oligopolies up here are a rip off too. I used to work for one, so I know that even better than most!
God, the oligopolies are dreadful. If only there were as much competition for the last mile as there is for the rest of Internet traffic, which thanks to market forces has also been steadily decreasing in price.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Maybe retail isn't doing so well not because people are buying more online, it's because they aren't buying as much, period.........
We know from September retail sales that Americans are spending less money on restaurants McDonald’s is the bellwether and it isn’t doing so well. Netflix is doing well, which means that Americans aren’t buying homes or cars, and they aren’t eating out, but they are spending more on Netflix and chill, the proverbial cheapest date. And they are spending more on electronic entertainment.
http://www.atimes.com/article/lopsided- ... he-leader/
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........