neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:45 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:15 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 am

Maybe now Europe will realize who its friends are. What help has the US sent to Italy?...
What help can the USA send? It is scrambling to cope with its own epidemic.
Russia, which lives in the same planet as the rest of us, could send help. Could it be that Russia cares and the US doesn't?...
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/21/euro ... index.html

Why does Russia, population 146 million, have fewer coronavirus cases than Luxembourg?
Russia (or rather the Putin government) can afford to.

(P.S. don't rely too much on the "caring" factor. Governments "care" all right - about the PR - Image promotion/ point scoring benefits for themselves.)
I personally know Russians They say the Russian government has a don't ask don't tell coronavirus policy
Facts are facts. Russia helps Italy, the US doesn't. That's all that matters, and it tells everything we need to know about the difference between Russians and Americans.
No country gives and has given more aid to more countries in more forms for a longer time than the US.

neverfail

Re: Pandemic

Post by neverfail » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:54 pm
No country gives and has given more aid to more countries in more forms for a longer time than the US.
Had it not been for Marshall Plan soft loans provided by the US after the Second World War western (non-Soviet) Europe could neither have undetrtaken its post-WW2 reconstruction nor risen so swiftly to the level of prosperity since. Nor could these countries have sustained that development without the (US sponsored) GATT agreement which provided these countries with access to the US market for their exports such as they did not have before the War.

But it seems futile trying to point all of this out to Sertorio. I believe that Portugal missed out on receiving Marshall Plan aid so I suppose that believes that everyone else did too. :roll:

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 am
Milo wrote:
Had it not been for Marshall Plan soft loans provided by the US after the Second World War western (non-Soviet) Europe could neither have undetrtaken its post-WW2 reconstruction nor risen so swiftly to the level of prosperity since. Nor could these countries have sustained that development without the (US sponsored) GATT agreement which provided these countries with access to the US market for their exports such as they did not have before the War.

But it seems futile trying to point all of this out to Sertorio. I believe that Portugal missed out on receiving Marshall Plan aid so I suppose that believes that everyone else did too. :roll:
Portugal did participate in the Marshall Plan, but that was 70 years ago. What I am interested is now, and now what I see is a greedy, selfish US which is highly disruptive of the life of most countries. And in the particular case of Italy - or Spain - the US couldn't care less, while Russia and China have been willing to offer all the help possible. All the US wants is to impose its will on other countries, forcing them to comply with the American immoral sanctions policies. The help the US gives Iran, in respect of the Coronavirus, is still more sanctions...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:15 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 am
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Portugal did participate in the Marshall Plan, but that was 70 years ago. What I am interested is now, and now what I see is a greedy, selfish US which is highly disruptive of the life of most countries. And in the particular case of Italy - or Spain - the US couldn't care less, while Russia and China have been willing to offer all the help possible. All the US wants is to impose its will on other countries, forcing them to comply with the American immoral sanctions policies. The help the US gives Iran, in respect of the Coronavirus, is still more sanctions...

Must say - I can't say I agree with your argument, Sertorio. The US is in the midst of a crisis regarding the pandemic - the 3rd most cases of countries worldwide. It is short of supplies and medical personnel to deal with the crisis.

When they are able - think US efforts in Africa (ebola, AIDS), the Asia tsunami, polio in SE Asia, medical emergencies in Latin America, etc.

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:49 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:15 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Must say - I can't say I agree with your argument, Sertorio. The US is in the midst of a crisis regarding the pandemic - the 3rd most cases of countries worldwide. It is short of supplies and medical personnel to deal with the crisis.

When they are able - think US efforts in Africa (ebola, AIDS), the Asia tsunami, polio in SE Asia, medical emergencies in Latin America, etc.

Uncle Sam is and has been the sugar daddy and the policeman to the world for nearly 100 years. We don't really want to be, you know. But the vacuum left in the world in its absence would lead to Nirvana with the CCP and Russia enforcing it, oh wait, that's Sertorio's fantasy. Reality is and has been much different.

Sertorio wants his cake and wants no cake at the same time. Go figure...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am

armchair_pundit wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:49 am

Uncle Sam is and has been the sugar daddy and the policeman to the world for nearly 100 years. We don't really want to be, you know. But the vacuum left in the world in its absence would lead to Nirvana with the CCP and Russia enforcing it, oh wait, that's Sertorio's fantasy. Reality is and has been much different.

Once the US leaves its policeman of the world fantasy, there will not be any vacuum left in the world. Countries will carry on with their business without being threatened by anyone. Conflicts will be solved by negotiation or, if necessary, by UNSC intervention. As far as Europe is concerned it would lead finally to some form of political union and independent external policy, without being under constant threat by the US. The US would return to its historical frontiers and stop interfering in other countries business. What else could we desire?...

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Portugal did participate in the Marshall Plan, but that was 70 years ago.
By "participate" you would mean bailed out. You're welcome.

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am
armchair_pundit wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:49 am

Once the US leaves its policeman of the world fantasy, there will not be any vacuum left in the world. Countries will carry on with their business without being threatened by anyone. Conflicts will be solved by negotiation or, if necessary, by UNSC intervention. As far as Europe is concerned it would lead finally to some form of political union and independent external policy, without being under constant threat by the US. The US would return to its historical frontiers and stop interfering in other countries business. What else could we desire?...
Dude, I want some of what you're smoking!

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm

No idea who this guy is... This is about the report (non pharmaceutical interventions) that governments are making their decisions based on.

Even if the recommendations are carried through over 18 months--While it reduces the load on critical health care, and halves the number of dead, demand will still exceed the number of critical health care beds by 8 fold. Note the red line on the bottom of the chart in front of Boris Johnson.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:16 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Portugal did participate in the Marshall Plan, but that was 70 years ago.
By "participate" you would mean bailed out. You're welcome.
We received under the Marshall Plan 54 million dollars, probably the lowest amount of any European country. Not much for a "bail out"...