The Iowa cacacas

Discussion of current events
Doc

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 am

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: Trump the winner = America the loser.

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Don't gloat!

It is truly sad for the United States itself if the Democrats Party proves itself so bereft of leadership talent; so disabled by its internal machinations; as to be incapable of fielding a candidate with enough credibility to take on, and hopefully depose, Trump.

Doc

Re: Trump was innocent The democrats are liars.

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:35 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:20 pm
Don't gloat!

It is truly sad for the United States itself if the Democrats Party proves itself so bereft of leadership talent; so disabled by its internal machinations; as to be incapable of fielding a candidate with enough credibility to take on, and hopefully depose, Trump.
Read the Woods post again and note the real reason the Democratic party is bereft of leadership talent.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:43 pm

Here is a guide for Australians trying (like me) to wrap their minds around the process by which the United States chooses its candidates for election to President:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-03/ ... d/11920812

There has to be a better way.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:36 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:43 pm
Here is a guide for Australians trying (like me) to wrap their minds around the process by which the United States chooses its candidates for election to President:

Here is a better one

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:36 pm
neverfail wrote:

Here is a better one

Beside the point Doc.

We are talking about two different matters. I was lamenting the shambolic procedure used by your two big political parties to choose their respective candidates to run for President (so open to tampering and shady manipulation). Your proffered video did not address that but instead comprised a solemn sermon by a pretty face on what happens after the voting public have cast their ballots (with the reverent, unstated presumption lingering in the background that the founders of your US constitution were the wisest and holiest of men).

I live in a democracy with a parliamentary system that permits multiple parties to vie for a place in Parliament on election day - so my curiosity is aroused as to why only TWO candidates representing just TWO political parties (always the same two) stand for election for President in the US. Why not three, six or even a dozen to give the voting public a real choice? Patently clear to me that there must be a cartel of political power in your country when only two parties can field candidates with any chance of success.

If other countries can thrive with freely and fairly elected government then why does the USA need such a convoluted system?

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Here is a better one

Beside the point Doc.

We are talking about two different matters. I was lamenting the shambolic procedure used by your two big political parties to choose their respective candidates to run for President (so open to tampering and shady manipulation). Your proffered video did not address that but instead comprised a solemn sermon by a pretty face on what happens after the voting public have cast their ballots (with the reverent, unstated presumption lingering in the background that the founders of your US constitution were the wisest and holiest of men).

I live in a democracy with a parliamentary system that permits multiple parties to vie for a place in Parliament on election day - so my curiosity is aroused as to why only TWO candidates representing just TWO political parties (always the same two) stand for election for President in the US. Why not three, six or even a dozen to give the voting public a real choice? Patently clear to me that there must be a cartel of political power in your country when only two parties can field candidates with any chance of success.

If other countries can thrive with freely and fairly elected government then why does the USA need such a convoluted system?
The founding fathers did not anticipate political parties.

As for the primary system I would point out two things

1) The Democrats say they don't want the electoral system because it is "Unfair" that the majority does not pick the president by popular vote while rigging thier own primary system with unelected super delegates.

2) What could be less democratic the the EU legislature? They are unelected as is the EU president.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Here is a better one

Beside the point Doc.

The founding fathers did not anticipate political parties.

As for the primary system I would point out two things

1) The Democrats say they don't want the electoral system because it is "Unfair" that the majority does not pick the president by popular vote while rigging thier own primary system with unelected super delegates.

2) What could be less democratic the the EU legislature? They are unelected as is the EU president.
Yes, only the Democrats rig their party nomination processes. The Republicans are pure and noble!

Sertorio

Re: Trump the winner = America the loser.

Post by Sertorio » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:20 pm
Don't gloat!

They have Tulsi Gabbard, but they seem to be afraid of her. Too smart and too honest for them, I suppose...