The Iowa cacacas

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Doc
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

The Iowa cacacas

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:44 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iowa-caucu ... -caucuses/
Chaos reigns on Iowa caucus night

By Kathryn Watson, Melissa Quinn

Updated on: February 4, 2020 / 3:22 AM / CBS News


Chaos reigns on Iowa caucus night

By Kathryn Watson, Melissa Quinn

Updated on: February 4, 2020 / 3:22 AM / CBS News

As Monday turned into Tuesday, there was no victor in Iowa. There weren't even any official results.

As the campaigns came to learn, the Iowa Democratic Party found "inconsistencies" in reporting the three sets of results it promised to deliver. The information was to come from precinct captains, who were to report it through a newly developed app. But they ran into trouble as caucuses finished.

"In addition to the tech systems being used to tabulate results, we are also using photos of results and a paper trail to validate that all results match and ensure that we have confidence and accuracy in the numbers we report," the Iowa Democratic Party said in a statement. "The underlying data and paper trail is sound and will simply take time to further report the results."
2020 Democratic Primaries and Caucuses More

No winner announced in Iowa caucuses after "inconsistencies" in reporting
Republicans gloat over Iowa caucus meltdown
Bloomberg tours California while rivals compete in Iowa
Farmers discuss biggest concerns ahead of Iowa caucus

Early Tuesday, the Iowa Democratic Party chair said results will be provided "later today," although he did not specify what time. Price said he wanted to emphasize this is a "reporting issue, not a hack" and "this is why we have a paper trail."

Earlier, a backup option for precinct captains to report caucus results — a hotline — ran into its own issues.

When CBS News attempted to call the Iowa Democratic Party Caucus Hotline, a recorded message said, "Thank you for calling the Iowa Democratic Party's Caucus Hotline. All of our operators are currently busy. Your call will be answered in the order in which it was received. We look forward to talking to you soon," before playing hold music.

One precinct captain who was trying to report his results was on hold for an hour and had apparently just gotten through to the IDP — with CNN listening as he was about to report his results — when the party hung up on him on live television.

This wasn't an isolated incident.

"I was on hold for 40 minutes at my precinct. I gave up and hung up and returned to our HQ," said Black Hawk County Vice Chair Nate Guber.

As word of the confusion and chaos spread, the Iowa Democratic Party held a conference call with the presidential campaigns in an effort to explain the issues with the reporting system. But at least one campaign has said it wants more answers.

Dana Remus, general counsel for former Vice President Joe Biden's campaign, wrote in a letter to the leaders of the state party that the campaigns "deserve full explanations and relevant information regarding the methods of quality control you are employing, and an opportunity to respond before any official results are released."

"The app that was intended to relay caucus results to the party failed; the party's back-up telephonic reporting system likewise has failed," Remus wrote to the chair and executive director of the Iowa Democratic Party "Now, we understand that caucus chairs are attempting to — and, in many cases, failing to — report results telephonically to the party. These acute failures are occurring statewide."

After midnight, the IDP website where the results were supposed to be posted still had zeroes next to each candidate's name. As far as the candidates were concerned, it meant they could all declare victory, which they did in a spate of overlapping speeches late Monday night.

And while the Iowa Democratic Party said it is working to validate the results using photographs and a paper trail, candidates are already shifting their focus to the next contest: the New Hampshire primary on February 11.

"Somehow, someway, I'm getting on a plane tonight to New Hampshire," Senator Amy Klobuchar told a crowd of supporters and volunteers. "And we are bringing this ticket to New Hampshire."

Republicans wasted no time seizing on the chaos.

"Democrats are stewing in a caucus mess of their own creation with the sloppiest train wreck in history. It would be natural for people to doubt the fairness of the process. And these are the people who want to run our entire health care system? Tonight President Trump posted a record performance in the well-run GOP Iowa caucuses with record turnout for an incumbent," Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale said in a statement.

GOP Congressman Mark Meadows of North Carolina, a staunch defender of Mr. Trump, used the confusion to take aim at Democrats' policy positions.

"Folks—this is the party that wants to run your healthcare, control your employment, decide what kind of car you can drive, and more," he tweeted.

At this point, no one in the Democratic Party or the Trump administration has said they see any evidence that the results were hacked.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2422
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:39 am

So far the Democrats seem to have learned nothing from last time: slipshod tech and doing all they can to downplay progressive candidates. If they keep this up, Trump deserves to win.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:45 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:39 am
So far the Democrats seem to have learned nothing from last time: slipshod tech and doing all they can to downplay progressive candidates. If they keep this up, Trump deserves to win.
Yeah the Dem establishment wants what it wants. Maybe what it wants at this point is Bloomberg.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3710
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by cassowary » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:48 am

I think the Democrats are cheaters and at least have cheaters in their party. They steal elections from Republicans and they also do the same among themselves.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 am

Another sign Hillary is running for POTUS:

https://www.latimes.com/business/techno ... -app-snafu
Tech firm started by Clinton campaign veterans is linked to Iowa caucus debacle


By Jeff Bercovici, Melanie Mason
Feb. 4, 2020
7:51 AM

An app created by a tech firm run by veterans of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign is taking heat for the unprecedented delay in reporting Democratic caucus results from Iowa.

Results from Monday’s caucuses could not be transmitted to Iowa party headquarters, and state Democratic Party Chairman Troy Price blamed the problem on a coding error. “While our plan is to release results as soon as possible today, our ultimate goal is to ensure that the integrity and accuracy of the process continues to be upheld,” he said in a statement Tuesday morning.

Confusion among caucus organizers over how to use the app also seemed to contribute to the problem.

The firm behind the app reportedly is Shadow, an affiliate of ACRONYM, a Democratic nonprofit founded in 2017 “to educate, inspire, register, and mobilize voters,” according to its website. Shadow started out as Groundbase, a tech developer co-founded by Gerard Niemira and Krista Davis, who worked for the tech team on Clinton’s campaign for the 2016 Democratic nomination.
Would it be going to far to suggest that Shadow and ACRONYM are subsidiaries of CHAOS?

As in:
Chaos reigns on Iowa caucus night
:shock: :lol:
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by armchair_pundit » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:59 am


substitute Trump for Maxwell Smart

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2422
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:09 pm

Wow this Biden sycophancy is getting a bit unhinged.

Don't have the energy to post it all but this is some straight up propaganda!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZF32L

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3710
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by cassowary » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 am
Another sign Hillary is running for POTUS:

https://www.latimes.com/business/techno ... -app-snafu
Tech firm started by Clinton campaign veterans is linked to Iowa caucus debacle


By Jeff Bercovici, Melanie Mason
Feb. 4, 2020
7:51 AM

An app created by a tech firm run by veterans of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign is taking heat for the unprecedented delay in reporting Democratic caucus results from Iowa.

Results from Monday’s caucuses could not be transmitted to Iowa party headquarters, and state Democratic Party Chairman Troy Price blamed the problem on a coding error. “While our plan is to release results as soon as possible today, our ultimate goal is to ensure that the integrity and accuracy of the process continues to be upheld,” he said in a statement Tuesday morning.

Confusion among caucus organizers over how to use the app also seemed to contribute to the problem.

The firm behind the app reportedly is Shadow, an affiliate of ACRONYM, a Democratic nonprofit founded in 2017 “to educate, inspire, register, and mobilize voters,” according to its website. Shadow started out as Groundbase, a tech developer co-founded by Gerard Niemira and Krista Davis, who worked for the tech team on Clinton’s campaign for the 2016 Democratic nomination.
Would it be going to far to suggest that Shadow and ACRONYM are subsidiaries of CHAOS?

As in:
Chaos reigns on Iowa caucus night
:shock: :lol:
If the Democrats cannot organise a caucus in a small state like Iowa, who can they run the country?
The Imp :D


User avatar
Doc
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Iowa cacacas

Post by Doc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:09 pm
Wow this Biden sycophancy is getting a bit unhinged.

Don't have the energy to post it all but this is some straight up propaganda!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZF32L
Interesting article Milo
The meltdown in reporting results made it extremely unlikely that the full momentum that has often followed a caucus victory would flow to any of the candidates, even Buttigieg and Sanders, who seem certain to finish one-two.
The Democratic party has always had difficulty keeping their widely ideological diverse base together. It has the equivalent of a Donald Trump every election cycle. The idea that sanctioning debates a year and a half before the election and six months before the first primaries would help them determine a leader in the race that the DNC establishment could live with has had the reverse effect. The debates were extremely boring and even worse obscure.

I still believe the odds are that Hillary will run again. That the fix is in to make sure no one else can unify the party before the convention is how Hillary plans to get the nomination again.

Now the DNC establishment wants to bring back super delegates voting on the first ballot. Which is certainly meant to stop Bernie or Buttgieg from getting the nomination.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Post Reply