Europe, the UK and De Gaulle

Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: an early benefit of BREXIT?

Post by Milo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:33 am
Australia is already reaping some incidental benefit from BREXIT.

I am about to watch on TV part 2 of Griff's Great Australian rail trip. It is one of an unprecedented flurry of recent UK productions with an Australian theme. UK actress Julie Bradbury has produced a series exploring this country; Jan MacDonald likewise has produced and compared cruise trips around our coast; Chris Tarrant has done a rail journey from south to north via The Ghan; and to cap it off the first of Michael Portillo's Australian rail journeys id yp be screened on our television tomorrow.

To me all of this (market demand?) speaks of a renewed interest in things Australian in the UK.

When Britain joined the EU's predecessor organisation back in 1973; for years afterwards the Commonwealth of Nations became unfashionable to the Brits (I was there) while the European continent became chic'. We Australians of course became unfashionable along with the rest of the (so old hat) Commonwealth. Now that their infatuation with the EU has been shed the poms are at last re-discovering that they have kinfolk abroad after all.
I think that is true of Canada, perhaps to a lessor extent.

neverfail

Re: an early benefit of BREXIT?

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:33 am
Australia is already reaping some incidental benefit from BREXIT.

I am about to watch on TV part 2 of Griff's Great Australian rail trip. It is one of an unprecedented flurry of recent UK productions with an Australian theme. UK actress Julie Bradbury has produced a series exploring this country; Jan MacDonald likewise has produced and compared cruise trips around our coast; Chris Tarrant has done a rail journey from south to north via The Ghan; and to cap it off the first of Michael Portillo's Australian rail journeys id yp be screened on our television tomorrow.

To me all of this (market demand?) speaks of a renewed interest in things Australian in the UK.

When Britain joined the EU's predecessor organisation back in 1973; for years afterwards the Commonwealth of Nations became unfashionable to the Brits (I was there) while the European continent became chic'. We Australians of course became unfashionable along with the rest of the (so old hat) Commonwealth. Now that their infatuation with the EU has been shed the poms are at last re-discovering that they have kinfolk abroad after all.
I think that is true of Canada, perhaps to a lessor extent.
Probably right too. We were more "British" in our heritage than Canada so therefore more of an embarrassment to the Brits.